Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 E90
Smile Michelin Pilot Super Sports: Thread Pattern Question

I recently got a set of these Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Their website states these as 'Directional' tires. However, the only sign on the tire in regard to this is 'Outside' indicating which side should be facing outside.

If you look at the picture above, you can see the outside shoulder has a different thread pattern; however, the cuts are angular. So if I switch rear wheels (as an example), tires still be facing correctly to outside, but the thread will be rotating opposite. This doesn't seem right to me. Any input?
Ads by Google
Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 imola red 740i Sport
They are Asymmetrical not Directional. Asymmetrical are always marked with an 'outside', Directional with a direction arrow. Symmetrical may or may not have and outside. Asymmetrical and Symmetrical can be cross rotated where Directional can/should not.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
I recently got a set of these Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Their website states these as 'Directional' tires. However, the only sign on the tire in regard to this is 'Outside' indicating which side should be facing outside.

If you look at the picture above, you can see the outside shoulder has a different thread pattern; however, the cuts are angular. So if I switch rear wheels (as an example), tires still be facing correctly to outside, but the thread will be rotating opposite. This doesn't seem right to me. Any input?
I'm not sure where you found the information that these are directional tires on the Michelin website. I looked and their website has very little information about the tire. It doesn't mention whether they are directional or asymmetrical although they are clearly asymmetrical. I have these tires on my Z4 M and they do have "Outside" molded on the tire, an indication of asymmetrical tires.

This information is from the Tire Rack website and clearly states that they are asymmetrical and makes no mention of their being directional:
The Pilot Super Sport features an asymmetric design molded of Michelinís Bi-Compound tread rubber featuring a Le Mans-inspired dry compound outboard side-by-side with their latest generation of wet compound inboard. The low-void outboard shoulder features a track-type compound to withstand the stresses of high performance cornering while the notched center ribs and inboard shoulder feature a compound designed for superior performance at very high speeds and in wet conditions.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post

If you take note of most new tire offerings in the past 10 years or so, most are "asymmetrical" rather than "unidirectional." So-called "directional" tires have lost favor with tire manufacturers in recent years due to their propensity to develop horrible "pattern noise." They had no rotation options whatsoever (although, in fact they COULD be run in the "opposite" direction without harm)...the world would NOT end.

The current "vogue" is certainly "asymmetrical" tires and everyone is piling on to this trend. As noted, the sidewall indicates: "this side out." They do offer another rotation option (unless you have a staggered fitment). If you're lucky, you have the same size all around.

The "benefit" of asymmetrical" tires is the handling aspect as the outside shoulder will have a lower "void ratio" thus accommodating higher grip in dry cornering. This harks back to the famous Michelin ASX tire of many decades ago, perhaps the first asymmetrical tire and "OEM" on many famous European cars.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E90
Thanks for the replies.

I see what they are now. I did email Michelin, let's see what they say.