Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E21 (1975 - 1983)

E21 (1975 - 1983)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2012, 06:36 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Restore or Junk my e21??

About 4 years ago I purchased a 1978 320i. The car was built in 7/78, so it is one of the last cars made before all of the changes in 8/78. I bought it with the understanding that "it runs", but not well. Well, it did run, but got worse almost every time I drove the car. With some help I decided that the gas tank must be rusting internally and putting junk in the fuel lines and clogging up the fuel filter. I could be driving 60 mph and the car would just lose power, I would actually turn the key off (still going 60 mph), coast for a bit, turn the motor back on and it would get better. So I got someone to drop the tank out and coat the inside of the tank. After this it never did really run all that well, and finally I put it in a barn for the last 3 or so years.

I finally decided to try to get it going again and put a new battery in about 6 months ago. The car cranks like crazy, but just wouldn't turn over. So I got out and started looking around and found gas practically spraying out of the external fuel pump. So I know that some part of the pump has rusted through. I have seen cheap replacements on ebay, anyone know of a cheap one that would replace the original?

The only other history I know of is that there are notes sharpied on the inside of the hood noting that there had been some work on the engine in the late 90's.

I did all of the body work on the car, mainly just small dings. And would love to put a brand new coat of fjord blue on her some day.

So I don't know much about restoring a car of this age, but would love to use this car as a great way to learn, but what I need to know is if this car seems like a lost cause or is worth trying to get going again. Any thoughts one way or the other?

Also, if I were to pursue the project, what all would I need to do to not only repace the fuel system from the fuel filter to the motor, but also be able to test the pressure at the engine/fuel line connection?

I think it is obvious that my auto mechanical knowledge basically stops at being able to install aftermarket parts, but absolutely any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Here she is:

2013 BMW 535i ED-11/23/12 Redelivery- 1/12/13
1978 BMW 320i (paused project)
2009 BMW Z4sdrive35i (ret.)
1995 BMW M3 (ret.)
1987 BMW 325i (ret.)
Advertisement