Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3
cape fear z3

1997 Z3...

had continuous problems with leaking roof. changed top in summer of '12. still have 2 problems:

1) water collects in trunk, up against the back of the cab, somehow gets down into battery compartment. no visible sign of moisture anywhere on inside of trunk lid, etc. ??

2) when it rains, both sides of top leak where top meets corner of windshield. tightened adjustment rod. someone said there are rubber gaskets that can be installed between top & windshield . ??? anybody know about this?

also,

3) wood boot around gearshft (auto) has clear plastic coating coming off...is it easy to find replacement boot surround?

thanks. we love the car (great condition, 30,000 actual miles), just need to 'tweak' leaking problems.
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
1) check the rubber seals around the tail lights and 3rd brake light, failing that, your sealing frame around the rear of the top could be leaking. That happens when top shops do a sloppy job fitting a replacement top.
2) at the top of the windshield A pillars, look at the weatherstripping. You will see a triangular shaped outline on the rubber. Over time as the original adhesives in there dry up, water can get in the weep hole then drip out along that outline from inside the weatherstripping. To solve the problem, get some black silicone and smear some over that triangular outline so it seals it up.

3) If you mean the shifter knob, they are available at the dealership, or getbmwparts.com : 25161422879 price is $131.00

Old 12-14-2012, 04:40 AM
GLLOQ

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i
Leaking Z3 top

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape fear z3 View Post
1997 Z3...

had continuous problems with leaking roof. changed top in summer of '12. still have 2 problems:

1) water collects in trunk, up against the back of the cab, somehow gets down into battery compartment. no visible sign of moisture anywhere on inside of trunk lid, etc. ??
I had the same problem until my top was replaced along with the sealing frame, which I learned from this forum often becomes brittle and cracks over the years, allowing water to enter the trunk. There appear to be some places where the original caulked seals become old and allow water seepage.

Blocked drains are a big PITA, but they will cause leaks as well. My indy garage cleaned them out after my new top was removed and re-installed because of water in my trunk.

If you didn't install the top yourself, your installer should be willing to help solve the problem. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 2.8
This link fixed my top leak, http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=top+leaks As for the trunk leak changing the gasket around the trunk mounted brake light fixed my leak.

BK85