Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: RX-8
Confused about paddle shifters

Ok so we all know that BMW screwed up the "standard" paddle shifters on the M sport but...

When you guys ordered the car and it arrived did you not take it on a test drive before buying it?

If I saw the paddle shifters missing I would say oops this isn't my car and inform the dealer what was missing. Then wait for yours to arrive.
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Of course I took the car for a test drive. And reordering was an option. But the $1,000 Drive rebate would have expired before delivery of the replacement car, and I was told there was absolutely no way to extend it. I wasn't about to pay an additional $1,000 for a feature that was suppose to be standard. Who would? And my CA assured me BMW would resolve the issue to my satisfaction. Ha!

My situation was particularly frustrating because I caught word of the potential issue shortly after I placed the order. I asked the CA to please look into it to make sure my car would arrive correctly configured. Once again I was assured the paddles were standard, and the vehicle printout shows the car to have them. Had he taken me seriously, he would have been able to reorder the car immediately. I would have lost a week, two weeks at the most, and the car still would have arrived before the rebate expired. Everybody happy. But that would have been work, and it was easier to just tell me what I wanted to hear.

You also need to consider that some buyers may have needed the car immediately for any number of reasons. We don't always have the luxury of waiting six weeks for a car.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX

Last edited by HotRodW; 12-13-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
we had already sold our AUdi and were borrowing a car for my wife. we couldn't wait another 9 weeks.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
We ordered our car with the M Sport package, Ultimate and Lighting Package along with HK sound and specifically ensured that the car did not have paddle shifters (they were shown as a $120 option on the options lists we saw and my wife sees no point in them, the X1 is not a sports car in her opinion and they can get in the way). The 8 speed is so good that they are not really necessary. My wife had just come out of a 6 speed manual Z4 Coupe and to her paddle shifters are no substitute for a decent manual (and I agree by the way). When the car arrived (we took delivery in October) we checked to make sure they were not present and to make sure all our other options were present and correct.

We wanted the M Sport package for the seats, steering wheel and suspension options, having driven both an xLine and M Sport version as a reference

The car is fine and we love it.

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Old 12-13-2012, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Took me two days to notice they weren't there. I'd rather have them but their absence is not souring me on my car, my dealer, or BMW.
We all share some of the blame, IMO.
BMW website is ambiguous...listing both "MSport Steering Wheel" and right below that..."MSport Steering wheel with Paddle shifters. Stupid, IMO.

BMW dealer should have known that there was a box that needed to be checked and CA(as pleasant as she was) had no idea that the paddles had to be selected separately.

I'd previously read here on this forum where some were having trouble getting the paddles and I was not diligent/thorough when it came time to order.

As it is ...no biggie. Certainly not worth any aggravation on my part. I love this car and I like the dealer. That's a good recipe as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, it took me a week to notice that my X didn't have wood trim. Again, I blame myself for that and after seeing the brushed aluminum, I'm glad I didn't get the wood. I'll call it a wash and keep on loving to drive this X1 with a big ole smile on my face.
People!...This is as close to perfect as it gets!!!

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 PM

True the wait for the car could screw people out of re ordering.

Can anyone post a pic of the dark hatch aluminum?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-One View Post
True the wait for the car could screw people out of re ordering.

Can anyone post a pic of the dark hatch aluminum?
Look very closely at the last pic and you can barely see how the brushing runs perpendicular. It appears as though it's lightly brushed in one direction and then brushed heavier in the oposite direction. Classy looking IMO.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 12-14-2012, 06:06 AM

Yeah that looks wayyyy better than it does on their website.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
It looks better than the aluminum in the sport line. My wife insisted that we order wood.