Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 Osi
battery dilemma

I'm in the process of replacing the battery for my 2007 Z4 3.0si, can you provide me with the appropriate size battery and tell me if I need to bring it to a dealership for adjustments. If so, what is the usual charge for that service. My dealership wants $490 for the battery and necessary adjustments and I can purchase one for $139 and do it myself!
Ads by Google
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
Easiest job ever! I didnt even hook up anyhting to hold the radio codes. I bought mine at Walmart, the exact right battery with the vent line, very important. I got away with it, but I would recommend hooking up a battery tender or the like to the terminals under the hood to keep it "live" and just swap out the battery, just be careful not to ground the positive terminal as it will be live.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: Z3, e46, Ford Explorer
I have had very good luck with the batteries from Autozone. All my vehicles including my z3 and e46 have Autozone batteries installed w/o any problems. Fit chart is available on Autozone's web age. Make sure that you use the vent tube supplied with the battery.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:59 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALM168 View Post
I have had very good luck with the batteries from Autozone. All my vehicles including my z3 and e46 have Autozone batteries installed w/o any problems. Fit chart is available on Autozone's web age. Make sure that you use the vent tube supplied with the battery.
Here is their best battery for my Z3:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...9460_351670_0_

It does not mention including a vent tube, but AutoZone lists one separately with the battery:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=268946_0_0_
Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 E89 F30(Msport)
I just put an Autozone battery in my E46. Autozone sized the battery correctly - a DL 94. The car is a 2005 and had the original battery. I bought a Duralast Gold AGM battery. It was $200 from Autozone, and then I found out my parts guy at the dealer sells them for $200 too. Take my 20% off the dealer price for being a BMW Car Club member - would have been $160. Live and learn. The car has 183,000 miles so I installed a rebuilt alternator too.

The battery comes with a port where the vent tube plugs in.

Last edited by charlesberry; 12-13-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: cars--many!
I am running an optima gell cell in mine. No need for a vent.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:50 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesberry View Post
I just put an Autozone battery in my E46. Autozone sized the battery correctly - a DL 94... The battery comes with a port where the vent tube plugs in.
Yes, but did the vent tube come with the battery, or did you have to buy the vent tube separately?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
I just bought mine from autozone. The web site had two different sizes H5 and H6. I picked up an H5 initially, and it was too narrow. Went with the H6 gold version. Interestingly, the H5 reccomendation was a Gold version and the H6 was the platinum version which they did not have in stock. I purchased the H6 gold version. The tube did not come with the battery, but it had vents on both sides and the tube that was there, plugged right into it. they provided a plug for the other side.

It was ~$150.00.

It appears that BMW used different size batteries in the Z4. I would measure the width before you pick one up. You need the correct width to be able to lock the battery down

A Z4 is not the kind of car you want a loose battery in.

I did not lose my radio stations, but did lose the clock setting. The old battery would not crank the car, but would still power the internal lights. I made sure not to take too long to take the old one out and replace it with the new one. (it meant I had to take the old one back the next day to get my core deposit back)

Last edited by bten; 12-13-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added more information
Old 12-13-2012, 06:13 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by bten View Post
... The tube did not come with the battery, but it had vents on both sides and the tube that was there, plugged right into it. they provided a plug for the other side...
You mean that the old tube that was in the car from the old battery, plugged into the new battery?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
You mean that the old tube that was in the car from the old battery, plugged into the new battery?
Yes.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:09 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
Just look at the opposite side of the battery as the aftermarket batteries usually have 2 vent holes, one in each side. Plug the one on the opposite side of the vent tube. There is usually a small round plug with the aftermarket batteries, but sometimes they get lost before purchase. I usually squeeze just enough silicone sealer in the hole to cover the opening if the plug is missing.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
They make 9 volt battery savers you can use when switching out your batter, plug it in your cig lighter or aux port and it holds the computers memory while changing out the battery. I have heard of some people using a trickle charger too but I don't know anyone that actually did that.

Regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 12-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 535i M-Sport
I went OEM with mine. It took about 10mins to swap and was pretty straighforward.

2006 330i - ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/i-Drive/Steptronic Sold
2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - ZSP/Xenons/Navigation/6MT
Sold
2011 535i M-Sport - ZMP/ZPP/ZP2
Old 12-14-2012, 05:39 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripster View Post
I went OEM with mine. It took about 10mins to swap and was pretty straighforward.
What did the OEM battery cost you? The first post said the dealer wanted $490 to put an OEM battery in. I just got a 1997 which has a BMW battery, which looks and tests like new, and I guess the previous owner paid a lot for it.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: '00 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
They make 9 volt battery savers you can use when switching out your batter, plug it in your cig lighter or aux port and it holds the computers memory while changing out the battery.

Regards
I have one of those, and it has never worked on my Z3 or other cars. Some people have suggested that the lighter circuit may be diode protected so that current can only flow OUT of the lighter, not into it. That would explain why it doesn't work. I do know that the device connects, because the 9V battery gets warm when it is connected and the car battery is also connected, during the brief time when that is the case.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale K View Post
I have one of those, and it has never worked on my Z3 or other cars. Some people have suggested that the lighter circuit may be diode protected so that current can only flow OUT of the lighter, not into it. That would explain why it doesn't work. I do know that the device connects, because the 9V battery gets warm when it is connected and the car battery is also connected, during the brief time when that is the case.
There is no diode protection on the lighter circuit. The 9v battery savers have been around pretty much since cars have had computers and I never had luck with them then. Back then, the only memory was the PCM and the radio and clock memory pretty much. Now, everything has a back-up memory. I don't believe the 9v batteries can produce enough current and still maintain voltage to keep the memories alive. We typically use a jumper box with a lighter-to-lighter adapter. Set it in the front seat with the doors closed and wait for the lights to go out so you are not pulling excessive current backwards and blowing the lighter fuse trying to back feed as you disconnect the battery. Now, we still use the jumper box but use an adapter that connects to the lighter socket in the jumper box and plugs into the vehicles OBD connector. Same thing, let the lights go out and then disconnect the battery. The terminals will be powered, so I typically wrap the positive terminal in a shop rag tied with a rubber band until the change is completed.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 2.5i Z4
What do you mean by a jumper box? A battery tender---trickle charger---other?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: '00 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by psfz4 View Post
What do you mean by a jumper box? A battery tender---trickle charger---other?
Probably something like these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ttery+jump+box

I've concluded that it's not worth the trouble to maintain power. As I said before, I've never had any luck with the 9V battery thing that plugs into the cigarette lighter (power port). It's just not that hard to input the radio code and adjust the clock.

Also, I will confirm that my M Coupe stock vent hose plugged right in to my new Duralast H6 Platinum battery vent port. However, there was no plug for the other side, and the "help" at Autozone denied that plugs for the extra port, or even the Dorman vent hose kits (as on their website), even existed.

Another tip: Check the dates on the batteries they have in stock before buying, so you can buy the newest one. There are stickers on the sides. Some of their batteries had actual dates on stickers, but the "Platinum" (AGM) batteries had a code. My local store had two batteries, one with a B2 code, and the other K2. I bought the K2. For one thing it had much less dust on it. I also decided the B2 probably meant February 2012, and the K2 meant November, 9 months fresher. As the "help" had no clue about the date codes, he had no issues with letting me buy the fresher battery that was behind the older one.