Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Pulling trigger next week, last-minute advice

Everybody-

All of the research I've done from your bounty of posts has led me to the following build. Considerations that went in include: as much as I love the I-6, fuel efficiency and the extra 4k right off the bat pretty much killed the 335; I'm used to driving Subarus, so I like the feel of AWD, plus being able to get around when visiting my grandparents in lake-effect snow land (Rochester, NY) is important to me (hill descent control is nice, too); I love the EBII/Coral Red combo, so M-Sport is a must; to keep the sportiness, ZDH is also a must; lighting (duh); cold weather for those visits mentioned above; I love my creature comforts and tech, so premium package (plus the sports packages that come with SiriusXM) and tech package go right in, and music keeps me sane on long trips, so the HK is going in; finally, you all say that the sport tranny is great, and test drives have confirmed this. Here goes:

2013 BMW 328i xDrive
Estoril Blue Metallic Paint
M Sport Line
18" M Alloy Wheels 400M w/ Mixed Tires
Highlight Trim Black High Gloss
Aluminum Hexagon Interior Trim
Performance Summer Tires
Coral Red Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
Premium Package
Technology Package
Sport Auto Transmission w/Paddles
Harmon Kardon Surround System
Total Price: $48,725.00 + D&H

This is a military overseas sale, so that's why th price is so low (relatively speaking). I'm also planning on getting the BMW 17" cold-weather wheel/tire package for the winter. Any comments/recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and sorry about the wall of (con)text.
Ads by Google
Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
I would recommend park distance control and the rear view camera. BMW's rear view camera is really good. It displays excellent lines that are super helpful. My parents have a rear entry/alley garage and a really shallow driveway. My car does not have PDC and I wish it did everytime I back out of their driveway.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Pretty heavily loaded! I like that color combo, too, but like more muted/understated colors personally.

Only thing I can think of (you're building a cold-wx car) is heated steering wheel.

You can save money by buying a set of winter tires and wheels from tirerack rather than from BMW - possibly as much as $800.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Thumbs up Nice !!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrchmbl View Post
Everybody-

All of the research I've done from your bounty of posts has led me to the following build. Considerations that went in include: as much as I love the I-6, fuel efficiency and the extra 4k right off the bat pretty much killed the 335; I'm used to driving Subarus, so I like the feel of AWD, plus being able to get around when visiting my grandparents in lake-effect snow land (Rochester, NY) is important to me (hill descent control is nice, too); I love the EBII/Coral Red combo, so M-Sport is a must; to keep the sportiness, ZDH is also a must; lighting (duh); cold weather for those visits mentioned above; I love my creature comforts and tech, so premium package (plus the sports packages that come with SiriusXM) and tech package go right in, and music keeps me sane on long trips, so the HK is going in; finally, you all say that the sport tranny is great, and test drives have confirmed this. Here goes:

2013 BMW 328i xDrive
M Sport Line
Performance Summer Tires
Coral Red Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
Premium Package
Technology Package

This is a military overseas sale, so that's why th price is so low (relatively speaking). I'm also planning on getting the BMW 17" cold-weather wheel/tire package for the winter. Any comments/recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and sorry about the wall of (con)text.
I noticed you are in Bahrain currently. Are you in the Navy ? I had a friend who was stationed in Bahrain a few years ago , and loved it. There for One year. If so. thank you for your service to Our Country. I Love Estoril Blue , Second favorite color Combo besides our Melbourne Red. Enjoy your new Bimmer
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:01 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I would recommend park distance control and the rear view camera. BMW's rear view camera is really good. It displays excellent lines that are super helpful. My parents have a rear entry/alley garage and a really shallow driveway. My car does not have PDC and I wish it did everytime I back out of their driveway.
+1

PDC and rear camera are extremely useful.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-24-2012, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Everybody-

2013 BMW 328i xDrive
M Sport Line
Performance Summer Tires
Coral Red Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
Premium Package
Technology Package

No shortwave? Dude. Keep in touch with the folks in Bahrain.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 AM

One more question, as I haven't seen a really good answer for it here. Anti-theft system. Useful or redundant?
Thanks on the rear view camera and PDC. I'll be living in Arlington, so that should really help. Going in the build.

SD330i - Yup, I'm navy, and you're quite welcome. Thanks for paying for my (mostly-useless) degree.

Last edited by lrchmbl; 11-27-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
One more question, as I haven't seen a really good answer for it here. Anti-theft system. Useful or redundant?
Thanks on the rear view camera and PDC. I'll be living in Arlington, so that should really help. Going in the build.

SD330i - Yup, I'm navy, and you're quite welcome. Thanks for paying for my (mostly-useless) degree.
BMWs aren't stolen a lot, but technology crime seems to be making them more vulnerable lately. I'd get it. It includes a tilt sensor and also an interior motion detector. It's a pretty good system and, unlike on past models, it cannot be added after the fact.

Whatever your degree you're getting the finest management training in the U.S. bar none! I don't know your age, but what ever it is you have more responsibility right now than any of your peers in business. And that training and experience is going to benefit you throughout your career.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 AM

Trigger pulled! Added the PDC, RVC and anti-theft, and got RWD instead of xDrive to keep it under 50k. I figure in Northern VA I'll be fine with just a set of snow tires on it. Apparently military sales get the short end of the stick on allocations, so I don't get a VIN until January, but come March, this sucker is mine!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:48 AM
1-5-3-6-2-4

Send a message via Skype™ to rtgirard
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Congratulations! Enjoy the excruciating wait!

BMWCCA# 457109
Old 11-29-2012, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW335xi
There is not much difference in fuel efficiency between 328 and 335 that u would notice, yes difference in price - but 335 is a better machine and worth that extra cash.

Quote:
Everybody-

2013 BMW 328i xDrive
M Sport Line
Performance Summer Tires
Coral Red Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
Premium Package
Technology Package

Old 11-29-2012, 12:20 PM

Too late, man. Ordered. Woo!
On a serious note, yes it's a great machine, but 50k is already a large chunk of change for anything that's not a house, and the extra 4k just wasn't worth it in my book, especially since I'm going to be spending that on the maintenance upgrade and a set of winter wheels/tires. Appreciate the input, though!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:26 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Trigger pulled! Added the PDC, RVC and anti-theft, and got RWD instead of xDrive to keep it under 50k. I figure in Northern VA I'll be fine with just a set of snow tires on it. Apparently military sales get the short end of the stick on allocations, so I don't get a VIN until January, but come March, this sucker is mine!
Smart moves all around, congrats.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-16-2012, 10:30 AM

VIN is IN! Two/three weeks earlier than promised, which means mid-late February delivery. I am very excited! (Sorry, bank account.)
Old 12-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Cool. Do military sales qualify for U.S. sales incentives? If so and you get your car before 1 March or so you would make it in under the 60 day lock. Are you aware there is USAA incentive also?

Old 12-16-2012, 11:28 AM

Unfortunately not. Since BMW runs the military sales program themselves from Munich, we don't get any of the fun incentives, and since I'm not financing, most wouldn't apply to me anyway.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Msport sedan
Enjoy the new car! And the change of scenery from Bahrain to Virginia

Best Regards,
Robert

2013 335i ///M Sport - Estoril Blue/Coral Red - Tech Package- Premium Package - HK Stereo - 6MT
Ordered 12/14/12 - Delivered March 5th 2013
BMWCCA # 471893
Old 12-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Unfortunately not. Since BMW runs the military sales program themselves from Munich, we don't get any of the fun incentives, and since I'm not financing, most wouldn't apply to me anyway.
Just a thought, that may not matter much to you since investment yields are so low right now - are you aware Pentagon FCU is offering 1.49% up to 60 months? If your money is doing better than that financing might be a worthwhile option. If you haven't joined PenFed yet you should. I imagine you've already joined Navy Federal.

Last edited by tturedraider; 12-16-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:42 PM

I thought about it, but I'm already going to be paying ~2600 in rent/utilities/parking fees every month, and I just don't want to have to deal with a monthly payment.