Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems

Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems
Have you had an exceptionally great experience with a particular BMW Center? Have you had a bad experience at your BMW Center? Frustrated by problems or defects with your vehicle? Post your stories or comments here.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: Pathfinder
damage done at dealer

Dropped 3 month old M5 at dealer for 1,200 mile break-in service this morning. Just got to work and received call that another one of their customers backed into my car. ARGH!

They say they are collecting the drivers insurance details. Is the dealership also partially responsible since they are in custody of my vehicle? Should i demand a loaner from dealership while my car is being fixed?

They are recommending i get the car fixed elsewhere, is this typical?

anything else i am missing here? please help!
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
If the other person was driving the car that hit you -- and not a shop employee -- the dealer would have little responsibility (just as if you were in a supermarket parking lot and some other customer hit you). The fact that they recommend taking the car elsewhere for body repair means their shop is overbooked, or they don't have a dealership body shop but use a contract shop (some do this). You will probably not get a loaner for this but will get a rental from the other party's insurance unless the dealer wants to keep your goodwill. It really is between you and the other party now, the dealer is pretty well out of it -- just like Safeway would be. Good luck and it was a bummer!

Last edited by UncleJ; 12-10-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:42 AM
<a href="http://www.Ticke

Mein Auto: E92 M3
I am not sure what their legal responsibility is but clearly they are partly to blame. If I was to go to safeway I would choose a safe out of the way place to park my car lowering the probability of this happening. Unlikely they were looking out for your M5 like you would have been. Furthermore If they except no responsibility for what happened what is to prevent your car from being damaged everytime you take it in for service ? No way I would go back there if they don't address this issue.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Damaged at Dealership

"If they except no responsibility"

Umm...accept.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post

Umm...accept.
Whats the big deal, we understand what he means. Are you the moderator for miss spelled words?
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 12-16-2012, 06:10 PM
<a href="http://www.Ticke

Mein Auto: E92 M3
Quote:

Umm...accept.
Point taken. Would have gotten it correct accept I hadn't had my coffee yet
Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 AM

We really don't have enough information to go on to make a determination of any dealer fault, responsibility here. If the car was in the dealer's parking lot and another car driven by someone not connected with the dealership hit it then there would be no fault on the store's part (just like safeway). However, if a dealer employee directed the car to be parked in a specific location that was "at risk" of being hit by a careless driver (i.e. across the entrance lane) then there would be responsibility of a sort. Just like any other business you park in their lot at your own risk and if someone else (not connected to the business) hits you then it is their fault. Hard to see this any other way.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:58 PM
2012 528i

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
Look up the concept of "bailment".
2006 Toyota 4Runner
2014 Acura RDX
Old 03-10-2013, 02:05 PM

Bailment as opposed to license -- yes, a good point would be made for the dealer's liability here. One could even say that the dealer would have the duty to go after the offending party's insurance to "make whole" the M5 owner. Since the dealer accepted the car into their "care" for a consideration then (unlike Safeway) they would have a duty to safeguard the car. I was wrong, it is different than a free parking lot.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Damage Done at Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Whats the big deal, we understand what he means. Are you the moderator for miss spelled words?
cheers
vern
Yes. I am the moderator, Vern.

And, to prove it, it's misspelled, not "miss spelled."

Cheers back atcha, Vern. And don't bother telling me that it's "at you."

Old 04-02-2013, 05:44 AM
2012 528i

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
What ever happened with this?
2006 Toyota 4Runner
2014 Acura RDX
Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Yes. I am the moderator, Vern.

And, to prove it, it's misspelled, not "miss spelled."

Cheers back atcha, Vern. And don't bother telling me that it's "at you."

Hey Dude back atcha you better check "spell check",( misspelled- miss spelled).Moderator
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM

What was the final outcome on this one?....not the spelling contest, the OP's problem with the dealer.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:59 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
What was the final outcome on this one?....not the spelling contest, the OP's problem with the dealer.
Isn't it odd that most posters never come back with a post telling us the out come.
cheers
vern
Old 04-06-2013, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: Pathfinder
Hey there. Been meaning to reply with outcome.

4500 in parts and labor. New bumper cover, left front fender and light. The light alone was ~1900. And it was only slight cracked in the mount.

Parts took about 3 weeks to show with another week delay as they realized they needed another part after the disassembled.

I was also able to claim diminished value. I had an estimate if 9,500 they countered with 4 and we split the difference.

I usually keep my cars for a while so maybe I'll use those funds to cover extended warranty and maintenance. Any thoughts on how those perform with bmw?

Thanks again for all the help. Sorry took a while to respond.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 AM

Z. Thanks for the wrap up! Always nice to see how these things turned out.