Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #526  
Old 12-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,673
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
My co-worker Matt Davis just reviewed the Cayenne D Diesel in Europe. Shame we don't get it on our shores!

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/12/2...iesel-w-video/

- Mike
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Reply With Quote
  #527  
Old 12-13-2012, 06:41 AM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,062
Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
My co-worker Matt Davis just reviewed the Cayenne D Diesel in Europe. Shame we don't get it on our shores!

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/12/2...iesel-w-video/

- Mike
If this was coming to the US, I would have already put down the cash
Reply With Quote
  #528  
Old 12-13-2012, 08:29 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,419
Mein Auto: '06 X3
I would have sold everything I own to get one!
Reply With Quote
  #529  
Old 12-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
My co-worker Matt Davis just reviewed the Cayenne D Diesel in Europe. Shame we don't get it on our shores!

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/12/2...iesel-w-video/

- Mike
Oh my, it has an exhaust sound.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #530  
Old 12-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,673
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
You watched the video? I don't even do that!

- Mike
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Reply With Quote
  #531  
Old 12-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
You watched the video? I don't even do that!

- Mike
I did since my big beef with modern diesels is the total lack of exhaust sound and a lot of times even engine sounds. I'd be rather torn to get that Porsche though if it were made available in the States AND retained that sound.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #532  
Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 AM
kanar200's Avatar
kanar200 kanar200 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 693
Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
still 3-liter M50d has better overall performance
__________________


WTB: spare tire kit
Reply With Quote
  #533  
Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 AM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,062
Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanar200 View Post
still 3-liter M50d has better overall performance
But it's in a package that is much more heavy. Cayenne S Diesel is much lighter and probably is faster
Reply With Quote
  #534  
Old 12-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,673
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
That video is too funny. I would have stolen his camera. :-)

- Mike
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Reply With Quote
  #535  
Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 AM
kanar200's Avatar
kanar200 kanar200 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 693
Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
Weight DIN

PC 2.195 kg
X5 2.150 kg

0-100 km/h

PC 5.7s
X5 5.4s

Avarage fuel consumption

PC 8.3l/100 km
X5 7.5l/100 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
But it's in a package that is much more heavy. Cayenne S Diesel is much lighter and probably is faster
__________________


WTB: spare tire kit
Reply With Quote
  #536  
Old 12-13-2012, 09:58 AM
serge1's Avatar
serge1 serge1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: seattle
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 516
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanar200 View Post
Weight DIN

PC 2.195 kg
X5 2.150 kg

0-100 km/h

PC 5.7s
X5 5.4s

Avarage fuel consumption

PC 8.3l/100 km
X5 7.5l/100 km
Don't rub it in.
AutoUnion has already been disappointed once with USA Cayenne Diesel.
Reply With Quote
  #537  
Old 12-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,673
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
I still feel that BMW's engines are better... but Porsche has the lead in chassis technology.

But keep in mind that an all-new BMW platform will arrive within the next six months (let's hope it's a game-changer).

- Mike
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Reply With Quote
  #538  
Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 AM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,307
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Does this S version have the full blown Porsche AWD system as in the V6, S,GTS and Turbo or is it the VW/Audi sourced system used in the Diesel and Hybrid?

Last edited by solstice; 12-13-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #539  
Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,673
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Does this S version have the full blown Porsche AWD system as in the V6, S,GTS and Turbo or is the VW/Audi sourced system used in the Diesel and Hybrid?
Let me ask Matt Davis (he lives in Italy, so his reply may be delayed).

- Mike
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!

Last edited by Emission; 12-13-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #540  
Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 PM
georgejm georgejm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Louisiana
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 616
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Tomorrow brings shopping for a Porsche diesel for the wife who fell in love during the test drive the other day. Looks like the price tag will be around $80 to $85 with the crazy nosebleed priced options. I will be keeping the X5 because to this moment I am still amazed and thrilled every time I get in it. Can't bash the Porsche but I did tell the salesman that I noticed he had it in Sport Mode" when my wife was driving. The X5 is spunky in that mode as well. They talking "No Discounts" but if they want retail for their unit then I will want retail for my wife's trade in too, see how that goes over, lol. Really, no discount???
__________________
2012 X5 35d AW/Black Dark Burl
ZAP ZAV ZCW ZPP ZPS ZRC ZTP HUD AD BMW Apps
Spare Tire-Comfort Access-Running Boards-Roof Rails-335 Wheels-Auto High Beams-Smart Phone Int.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Reply With Quote
  #541  
Old 12-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
Tomorrow brings shopping for a Porsche diesel for the wife who fell in love during the test drive the other day. Looks like the price tag will be around $80 to $85 with the crazy nosebleed priced options. I will be keeping the X5 because to this moment I am still amazed and thrilled every time I get in it. Can't bash the Porsche but I did tell the salesman that I noticed he had it in Sport Mode" when my wife was driving. The X5 is spunky in that mode as well. They talking "No Discounts" but if they want retail for their unit then I will want retail for my wife's trade in too, see how that goes over, lol. Really, no discount???
In my experience Porsche dealers do offer more for trade in values and always assumed it is because of their higher profit margins.

Maybe I should have driven the Porsche in sport mode. Wonder what all changes in that mode for their diesel.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #542  
Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 PM
georgejm georgejm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Louisiana
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 616
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
In my experience Porsche dealers do offer more for trade in values and always assumed it is because of their higher profit margins.

Maybe I should have driven the Porsche in sport mode. Wonder what all changes in that mode for their diesel.
It's about the same as X5d in sport mode really. I drove it on the way back to the dealership and I have to sayI was impressed. No "Start/Stop on the diesels, happy about that.
__________________
2012 X5 35d AW/Black Dark Burl
ZAP ZAV ZCW ZPP ZPS ZRC ZTP HUD AD BMW Apps
Spare Tire-Comfort Access-Running Boards-Roof Rails-335 Wheels-Auto High Beams-Smart Phone Int.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Reply With Quote
  #543  
Old 12-16-2012, 01:48 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,062
Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanar200 View Post
Weight DIN

PC 2.195 kg
X5 2.150 kg

0-100 km/h

PC 5.7s
X5 5.4s

Avarage fuel consumption

PC 8.3l/100 km
X5 7.5l/100 km
Damn...

I don't understand how the the PC more heavy than the X5. The base Cayenne is a good deal lighter than the BMW.

How is M50d (~4700 lb) lighter than 35d (5192 lb)?
Cayenne V6 TDI is 4795 lb and the Cayenne S Diesel is about 4840 lb.

If both Cayennes are about the same weight, why is the M50d so much lighter than the 35d? Something is off.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 12-16-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #544  
Old 12-16-2012, 04:01 PM
ndabunka's Avatar
ndabunka ndabunka is offline
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
Tomorrow brings shopping for a Porsche diesel for the wife who fell in love during the test drive the other day. Looks like the price tag will be around $80 to $85 with the crazy nosebleed priced options. I will be keeping the X5 because to this moment I am still amazed and thrilled every time I get in it. Can't bash the Porsche but I did tell the salesman that I noticed he had it in Sport Mode" when my wife was driving. The X5 is spunky in that mode as well. They talking "No Discounts" but if they want retail for their unit then I will want retail for my wife's trade in too, see how that goes over, lol. Really, no discount???
You can get 6% discount from most ALL Porsche dealers for the more common Porsche's (limited availability models may well require MSRP or even premiums above MSRP) but for a Cayenne Diesel (thread title)? YEA, 6% off pretty much ANY configuration. You just need to TELL THEM that is what they need to do to get you to complete the deal.
__________________


'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 12-17-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #545  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 PM
kanar200's Avatar
kanar200 kanar200 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 693
Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
X5 35d is 2075 kg (in Europe)

http://www.bmw.com/com/de/newvehicle...gine_data.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Damn...

I don't understand how the the PC more heavy than the X5. The base Cayenne is a good deal lighter than the BMW.

How is M50d (~4700 lb) lighter than 35d (5192 lb)?
Cayenne V6 TDI is 4795 lb and the Cayenne S Diesel is about 4840 lb.

If both Cayennes are about the same weight, why is the M50d so much lighter than the 35d? Something is off.
__________________


WTB: spare tire kit
Reply With Quote
  #546  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:26 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,419
Mein Auto: '06 X3
"You just need to tell them....." Right! And out here they will tell you "thank you for your interest but the car you are interested in has three other buyers standing in line behind you!" Now, for USED cars that is a different story. There you can make a decent deal especially if you know how long it has been in stock (for all its warts CARFAX does give you a good idea there) and obviously the longer it sits the more anxious they are to move it. New cars fly out the door here and there is little incentive to deal, but you might get a small discount to "make you feel good" especially if you have a trade in which they can work with. All in all it is indeed a sellers market at the Porsche Store here in the valley.
Reply With Quote
  #547  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
"You just need to tell them....." Right! And out here they will tell you "thank you for your interest but the car you are interested in has three other buyers standing in line behind you!" Now, for USED cars that is a different story. There you can make a decent deal especially if you know how long it has been in stock (for all its warts CARFAX does give you a good idea there) and obviously the longer it sits the more anxious they are to move it. New cars fly out the door here and there is little incentive to deal, but you might get a small discount to "make you feel good" especially if you have a trade in which they can work with. All in all it is indeed a sellers market at the Porsche Store here in the valley.
Then figure out what you want options wise and buy one from out of town or even state. A 6% discount on such an expensive vehicle should more than justify the costs associated with getting the vehicle to you from many far away locations.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #548  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Syntax Syntax is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: 12 991,11 X5 35d,05 CTT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
You can get 6% discount from most ALL Porsche dealers no matter which Porsche. You just need to TELL THEM that is what they need to do to get you to complete the deal.
All dealers? Any Porsche?

Sorry, but that is complete garbage.

If you think otherwise, try calling a south Florida dealer and asking them for 6% off an order on the 991 GT3.
Reply With Quote
  #549  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,673
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
Let me ask Matt Davis (he lives in Italy, so his reply may be delayed).

- Mike
The answer, right from Stuttgart (flowery language by Matt):

"All base Cayenne Diesel units worldwide have the less gnarly permanent AWD system.

All Cayenne S Diesel units (and all high-performance Cayennes) use the hang-on hardcore active 4WD system.

So, if the Cayenne S Diesel ever comes to NA, it'll get the gnarlier system, too.

BAM!! How's dat?"


- Mike
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Reply With Quote
  #550  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:44 AM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,307
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
The answer, right from Stuttgart (flowery language by Matt):

"All base Cayenne Diesel units worldwide have the less gnarly permanent AWD system.

All Cayenne S Diesel units (and all high-performance Cayennes) use the hang-on hardcore active 4WD system.

So, if the Cayenne S Diesel ever comes to NA, it'll get the gnarlier system, too.

BAM!! How's dat?"


- Mike
Fantastic, I guess this also answers the question on why the base diesel have the less advanced system, cost savings. Thanks Mike!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
diesel, porsche, x5


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms