Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: Volvo 940
missing tool kit item

Can anyone tell me what sockets are located immediately to the right of the wrench in this picture?:

Z3 toolkit

My kit has the small socket immediately to the right of the wrench, but is missing the larger one to its right. What is the larger socket needed for?

Thanks,

David
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
Another from the list of questions that will never go away

It is intentionally empty. It is for a wheel lock.
Arctic Silver
Old 06-07-2010, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 1.9 - RIP 12/10/12
Ok, so that's one item I can cross off my list of missing tool kit parts. I also crossed off the grey handle that isn't labeled in the pic (not #2), because apparently it's for the hardtop, and so my car probably never had one.

What's the deal with the smaller socket? Is that also for a hardtop? Nothing in my kit looks like it would drive a small socket...but then again, the jack doesn't look like it would hold the car up, either.

I'm still getting used to the idiosyncrasies of the Z, like the way it always starts on the first try, idles through stoplights without my foot on the gas, goes where I point it, etc. So, I still carry the tool box that lived in my Honda, just in case I need to change a head gasket on the side of the road. I'm really only concerned with the factory tools in the interest of trying to keep my baby as complete and original as possible.

But I have to wonder aloud if anyone has ever actually used that spark plug wrench on a spark plug. I get the impression that these plugs last longer than a lot of engines used to. It almost seems like that wrench is another one of the car's retro features. Something about the Z3's hood bubble always reminded me of an XKE...maybe this wrench is so you can pretend you have SU carburetors to contend with?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC, Porsche 928S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippZ3 View Post
...maybe this wrench is so you can pretend you have SU carburetors to contend with?
Damn! Why did you have to mention SU carbs? I will now have nightmares for several days envisioning myself bent over my Healy 3000 trying not just to adjust an SU, but also to synchronize 2 of them (God forbid 3 of them). I still have my Uni-Sync (sp?) somewhere.

EB
Old 12-16-2012, 04:00 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmstrong View Post
Z3 toolkit
My kit has the small socket immediately to the right of the wrench...
My kit is missing that little socket. I understand it has a hole through it so it can be turned by inserting the screwdriver. I don't know what the socket is for, but I'll give $20 for someone to put it in a sturdy bubble envelope and mail it to me.

Last edited by vintage42; 12-16-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
Tool Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmstrong View Post
Can anyone tell me what sockets are located immediately to the right of the wrench in this picture?:

Z3 toolkit

My kit has the small socket immediately to the right of the wrench, but is missing the larger one to its right. What is the larger socket needed for?

Thanks,

David
Just to clearify from one of the other posters, the open handle slot beside the lug wrench is for the spare tire carrier which is pushed off to the side in the picture. The #2 tool is multi-purpose, it serves as the T-handle for the sparkplug socket as well as to lossen the fastener on the right side of the spare tire carrier. It also serves as a wheel hanger for changing tire. I still have not idea what the 10mm socket is for.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil z3 View Post
Just to clearify from one of the other posters, the open handle slot beside the lug wrench is for the spare tire carrier which is pushed off to the side in the picture.
This spare reference makes me chuckle a little. I once recieved a paniced call from a friend asking where the spare was in his MRdstr.... I was the first to inform him that there wasn't one by design. He had cut through the side wall and that wonderfull little M Mobility kit wasn't going to work. He'd have to call a tow truck or get lucky calling around to tire shops around town to see if someone had one of the rears. At the time in 2003/4, the rear tire size on the ///mRdstrs was not that common to find here in the Boise area. I had to order them. I've used my AAA towing benefits 3 times since 2003 with flats caused by a screw or nails: 2 right rears and 1 left.

Last edited by ghpup; 12-17-2012 at 04:47 PM.