Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:07 PM
GT = hi&bye

Mein Auto: 550i gt
All interior bulbs replaced with LED...

I have upgraded all the interior bulbs to white LED... looks crisp and fresh! All plug and play, no errors or anything. Total installation is about 30 minutes.
I have a 550i GT. Take a look and let me know what you think...

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...a411/002-3.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...a411/005-4.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...a411/003-5.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...a411/007-3.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...a411/008-3.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...a411/009-2.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...a411/006-4.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...a411/016-1.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...a411/016-1.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...a411/011-1.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	330901   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	330902   Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	330903  
Ads by Google
Old 06-28-2012, 03:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
Looks kind of stark. What didn't you like about the amber lighting?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:11 AM
GT = hi&bye

Well, the interior isn't amber lighting as much as it is an ordinary dull yellow look.... what we are used to seeing. The LED look is fresh. While the white LED lights may look a bit "stark" on the black interior, I like it!
Not to mention on the 550i, the license plates lights are white LED from the factory. Also, at night, the door handles have white LED lights. Not sure why BMW would have the interior be a dull look when the white LED interior actually goes along with what the factory started on the outside.
I love the LED lights and the LED look! I have done a complete white LED upgrade to the interior of my last 3 vehicles and aside from being a constant conversation piece, it is different, sharp, custom, and updated.
One more thing, which is neither here-nor-there, but the LED bulbs require far less current/electricity than the standard dull bulb. For example, if you leave your car door open for even a minute, your standard dull bulb would be too hot to touch. They would actually burn you... not that you would ever need to touch the bulb. But the LED bulbs would never get hot. Leave the door open for an hour and the LED bulb would be luke warm. Again, not that it matters because the standard dull bulb is what has been used for centuries.
LED is the "new look" if you will. In fact, many newer cars are already coming fully stocked with LED interior lighting from the factory.
Sorry if some of the pics are distorted... I am not a photographer and I had to steady the camera to take photos with no flash to fully capture the LED look.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X6 35i
Not my cup of tea...I think it makes the interior look too utilitarian. But, what really matters is what YOU think. And it's pretty clear that you like it, so congrats on your upgrade!

2010 X6 35i
2013 535xi GT (on order)
Old 06-28-2012, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: '10 535i GT
What are the options for and amber LED?

I Any issues with the fade in and fade out? Some LEDs require a minimum voltage before they come on, thus eliminating the fade effects to some extent.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:35 PM
What's Not to Love??

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT MSport
What about the gauges and ambience lighting, like under the wood trim? They are orange, so how do the orange and LED look together?

Last edited by starryeyed; 06-28-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i xDrive
Truthfully I don't think it looks bad but like starryeyed pointed put, how does the LED lighting look with the stock orange lights? If you find a way to make the damn blind spot assist lights brighter, I AM ALL IN!! :-)

Alpine White
Black Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
M Sport Package
Premium Sound Package
Value Package
Sport Package
Side and Top View Cameras
Smartphone Integration

Old 06-28-2012, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: '10 535i GT
Agreed. Those blinds spot assist lights stink. I guess they are dim so as not to be distracting while looking at the mirror.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: 535i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammalian04 View Post
What are the options for and amber LED?

I Any issues with the fade in and fade out? Some LEDs require a minimum voltage before they come on, thus eliminating the fade effects to some extent.
+1 on both the above. I actually like the idea and kind of like the "stark" look. I would be interested in seeing it in person before I made a final call. So to follow up:

Any issues with the fade in fade out?

Where did you source the LEDs and can you give us the specific part details?

Is this just a matter of popping off the cover and swapping bulbs? (could be the easiest mod ever...)

Once I get a chance to see what kind of color options there are I might do this.

FWIW
DLM
Old 06-29-2012, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
The conversions I've read about are just that, pop the old bulb out, pop in the new module. Depending on the type of bulb being replaced, you may need to make sure you get the led's pointing towards the outside, as light only goes one way rather than all around like with a glass bulb.

I'd be curious about what brand people have used and their results.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammalian04 View Post
Agreed. Those blinds spot assist lights stink. I guess they are dim so as not to be distracting while looking at the mirror.
Blind spot assist was a must have feature for me but I think BMW missed the mark with integration. I am almost three months in with my GT and I still haven't grown accustom to looking below the mirror for the alert light!!! Switching lanes use to only require one glance when I had the Mercedes. Now I have to glance once in the side mirror and then glance below the mirror to get the all clear before switching lanes. On the surface this is a minor nuance but geez why didnt BMW just integrate the light inside the mirror?

Alpine White
Black Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
M Sport Package
Premium Sound Package
Value Package
Sport Package
Side and Top View Cameras
Smartphone Integration

Old 06-30-2012, 07:16 AM
GT = hi&bye

This is a very simple mod. In fact, oddly enough, in the 550i, all the bulbs are the same! As stated previously, this is the third car that I have replaced all interior bulbs with white LED. I have not had an instance where all the bulbs are the same.

The bulbs are simply 194 bulbs, also known as T10. It is as simple as popping off the cover and replacing with the LED bulb. I will say that the maplights up front, between the driver and passenger seats was a pain and I had to go the dealership to get those replaced. You probably won't want to replace those yourself.... but the others were easy.

In the footwell, I used a 194 white strip instead of a bulb because the strip provides way more light. I also changed out the bulbs in the cargo area.

I believe there were a total of 17 bulbs.

There are no error codes. When you close the doors, the lights still fade to off as the factory bulbs do.

Does the white LED compliment the orange'ish ambient lighting (e.g. under the wood or ceramic trim)? Yes. But remember the interior lights are like courtesy lights and don't constantly remain on necessarily. So while you are driving and the ambient lighting is on, it is likely that the none of the interior lights would be on too, unless you were reading a map or something. So the ambient lighting and the interior lighting don't necessarily have to compliment each other because they are rarely on at the same time.

Of course with LED there are many color options although I found white to be the best. Not sure if you would really want a red or green interior in your car.... but people like what they like.

I got all of the bulbs off eBay. They are called 360 white LED/SMD bulbs because on each angle is a SMD/LED chip. Again, I have used these bulbs in previously cars and over the past 2.5 years, I have not had to replace a single bulb.

Total cost for the mod was about $60... only because I had to pay the dealership $30 to replace the three bulbs up front.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:06 PM
GT = hi&bye

Hey. Not fair. I wanted people's opinion about the LED lights. Almost 600 people viewed the thread but only 11 or so responses... and most of them have been responses from me!

Let me know what you think of my subtle mod.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: Volvo S80 T6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt=hi&bye View Post
Looks terrible INMHO. As if you are having a dentist appointment.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 528 i 2008
I am a kind of guy who even turn off the main nav display at nite while driving and enjoy original orange ambiance ... Awesome nite drive experience.. So bright leds not for me
Old 07-15-2012, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
I'd thought about this, but inertia will probably cause me to wait and see if a bulb fails, then replace one. As to the comment about driving...these lights are generally only on when you've opened a door, or turn the map or reading light on, so that issue is kind of mute! I'm still undecided about the color temp.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:00 PM
GT = hi&bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
I'd thought about this, but inertia will probably cause me to wait and see if a bulb fails, then replace one. As to the comment about driving...these lights are generally only on when you've opened a door, or turn the map or reading light on, so that issue is kind of mute! I'm still undecided about the color temp.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Why are so many worried about how the LEDs go with the ambient lighting? As explained earlier (by me) and again by jadnashuanh, the LED lights are more "couresty lights" than anything else... In other words, they are only on when you open the doors or are reading or something. 99.9% of the time, you will be able to enjoy the ambient lighting without the LED lights interfering. One really has nothing to do with the other.

That said, the opinions are great! I appreciate them! But for those who don't like the look, you might want to reconsider because LED bulbs are replacing the old standard bulb - even at the factory... In fact, I have rented several GM cars which have interior LEDs as standard. I know BMW is German, but even my license plate light bulbs and courtesy bulbs on the door handles are LED on my 5'er.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:47 AM
Pace CAPT

Mein Auto: 2011 528i; 2013 X3 28i
I like the look and have been looking for similar without spending a fortune. Can you remember which Ebay store and particular bulbs you purchased. I have an F10 and F25 which use all T10 Bulbs for interior lights.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:53 AM
GT = hi&bye

LED eBay purchase...

For my F07, all replacement bulbs were T10 also known as 194 bulbs. I got them off eBay from this seller: gteperformance *SUPER BRIGHT WHITE LED*

4 bulbs were $12 (shipping included). I vaguely remember having to replace about 17 bulbs.

In the footwell, I used 194 plug and play strips... see eBay item no. 180806054098

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Pace CAPT

Mein Auto: 2011 528i; 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt=hi&bye View Post
For my F07, all replacement bulbs were T10 also known as 194 bulbs. I got them off eBay from this seller: gteperformance *SUPER BRIGHT WHITE LED*

4 bulbs were $12 (shipping included). I vaguely remember having to replace about 17 bulbs.

In the footwell, I used 194 plug and play strips... see eBay item no. 180806054098

Good luck!
Thank you.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
My Audi Q5 I owned before the GT was full of white interior LEDs vs. regular incandescent bulbs from the factory. Color temp was very white.. easily 4000k+ temp and they looked fine. Personal preference.

Last edited by tonyscv; 12-17-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550I GT
I like them. WIll probably do this mod in the future.

Real nice.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive GT
Thanks for the post.

I have been an LED geek for years. Whole home is in 5000Kelvin except a few "garden tipe bulbs under some shelves. I'll be swapping them for these 94 LED's as soon as they arrive. I will undoubtedly do my GT when i arrives. 2013 550i xDrive GT, Alpine white, cinnamon nappa.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:23 AM
GT = hi&bye

Congratulations on your 550i xDrive

@ Ductordoc - Sounds good!

IMHO, the LEDs are going to look very good and compliment your Alpine White exterior nicely. I think the LED interior on a white exterior will stand out moreso than any other exterior color.

Keep in mind that all your replacement bulbs will be the 194 bulbs... so you won't have to do any shopping around for different bulb sizes... makes it all the more easier.
Try to find 194 LED strips for the footwell since the bulb won't provide a lot of lighting.

Please post some pics when it is complete!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 550
I am guessing that the OP used color 6000 (6k cool white) leds when he replaced the t10s. This end of the LED color spectrum is very "white" and shows almost blue. If you dropped down to 3000-4000 (so called warm white) you would still get a whiter light than with halogen bulbs.

There are also quite a few different t10 LED replacements with varying numbers and sizes of SMDs on such "bulbs" that greatly affect the total brightness/light output. It would be great if the OP could post a pic of the actual led "bulb" that he used so that we can source an LED with fewer (or smaller) SMDs. I am pretty confident that most folks would be very pleased with a warmer white 3-4k (still whiter than OE halogens) that is maybe just a bit brighter than OE.

thanks