Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
noticed Primacy MXM4 ZP on sale (RFT)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=245VR7MXM4PZP

anyone tried them before? only 1 review.

bad review here but didn't say why it's bad.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Michelin-P...55R17/17511239

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...4/tire-details
Ads by Google
Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fb88 View Post
I've been advocating the Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position RFT, mainly because it's the "3rd Generation RF" from Bridgestone (as BMW's main tire supplier). It comes with a mileage warranty, promise of better ride comfort, all season design and other warranty benefits. Check it out on the Tire Rack.

No other tire manufacturer has more RF experience/technology with BMW compared to Bridgestone...and their 3rd "Gen" replacement tire has a lot to offer IMO (including reduced price).
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
I've been advocating the Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position RFT, mainly because it's the "3rd Generation RF" from Bridgestone (as BMW's main tire supplier). It comes with a mileage warranty, promise of better ride comfort, all season design and other warranty benefits. Check it out on the Tire Rack.

No other tire manufacturer has more RF experience/technology with BMW compared to Bridgestone...and their 3rd "Gen" replacement tire has a lot to offer IMO (including reduced price).
That mileage warranty almost certainly requires that the tires be rotated, rendering it not applicable to a staggered setup.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
I noticed this on Tire Rack as well as I am pre-shopping for replacing my tires in 1Q 2013. After much deliberation, I think I am going to stay with RFT's, now just trying to determine whether to stay with the Conti's that were OEM on my car, but rotate them; or switch to another brand. I, too am curious if anyone has had experience with the Michelen MXM4 ZP's. They are listed as an A/S Touring analogous to the Conti A/S RFTs.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 12-15-2012, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
I just went through a massive suspension refresh and put the Primacy MXM4 ZP on. Thread here, look at last update:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=fsd

I originally paid $147/each. They are $129/each now. I cannot praise these grand touring run flats more. I can compare apples to apples now with a E90 loaner with less then 1k miles. Hands down, these tires, along with the suspension bits I replaced made my car feel better then it did from factory at quite a low price. Please note these are listed as GRAND TOURING A/S, not Standard. When tire companies put the "Grand" in there, they typically focus on noise and impact response to differentiate them from their standard line. Essentially, its to market to the premium A/S consumer.

I was just able to drive these in wet, and the traction is top notch compared to EL42/Conti BMW orig gave the car. Its quieter, it absorbs hard impacts better, and its got alot more traction in wet/dry.

$129/each!! No brainer if you are shopping for run flats.

More info on the tire here with quick wet tests

http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...e/viewall.html

Last edited by bluskye; 12-15-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Never tried the RFT version, but my wife had the MXM4s as OEM on a Ford Fusion. They are quite expensive for a very average touring tire. So after 2 were damaged in an accident, all 4 were replaced with Conti DWS and the handling is greatly improved.

Tom
Old 12-15-2012, 06:56 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
That is a killer price for a RFT. I am strongly thinking of changing my Michelin Pilot Sports and putting them on my M3 currently running Toyo RA-1s and buying these RFTs for my E93.
I hope they are still available when I get to it...
Old 12-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Chuck Joga

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
Thanks for the heads up. I needed new tires and since we've been running Michelins on our other vehicle, I decided to switch away from the stock Contis before I'm forced to buy another set from the BMW dealer who always seems to have Contis in stock.

Michelin and R&T seem to say that they are better than the Contis, so for the price, I'll try them out. Plus these are supposed to be better in the snow and that can't hurt out here in Denver.

-Chuck

2006 325xit E91

Quote:
Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
I noticed this on Tire Rack as well as I am pre-shopping for replacing my tires in 1Q 2013. After much deliberation, I think I am going to stay with RFT's, now just trying to determine whether to stay with the Conti's that were OEM on my car, but rotate them; or switch to another brand. I, too am curious if anyone has had experience with the Michelen MXM4 ZP's. They are listed as an A/S Touring analogous to the Conti A/S RFTs.
Hi Kat,

Same here and considering staying with the Contis as well. Thought you'd find it interesting that a recent loaner had me scratching my head whether it had the OEM tires or go flats. After 3 close looks I determined that in fact it had the FRT Contis but the difference was like night and day compare to my car (2+ years old and 25K miles on the odometer). Either these tires degrade rather quickly or Conti changed the rubber formula because I couldn't get enough of it. The loaner had 8K miles on it, as a reference point...

Happy shopping
Old 12-17-2012, 05:59 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
That mileage warranty almost certainly requires that the tires be rotated, rendering it not applicable to a staggered setup.
Quite a delayed response...but I'm quite sure that B'Stone doesn't penalize you for this. Either you or I (or the OP) can check their warranty to confirm it. In my dim memory, there was no penalty for not rotating with a staggered set-up.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 12-17-2012, 06:08 PM
BMWCCA 149159

I did order these tires. I will never own another B'Stone tire given the crap Potenza's I had on another car.
This is a 3rd gen RFT and I am actually going back to them from Pilot Sports which are noisier than my Conti SSRs first gen RFT.
I am putting the Pilots on my M3 which has a set or worn out Pilots on them now with my stock Contours and I am running OZ Motorsport Wheels on Toyo Proxies until I change out the worn out Pilots with my almost new Pilots on the E93.
I know that this tire provides a smooth ride and long tire life. I also know it handles reasonably but not anywhere close to the Pilots but hey it is an E93 not my M3...
Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Chuck Joga

From the Michelin website regarding warranty it looks like a staggered setup is half. Runflats are 30K if you rotate them so you get 15K for a staggered setup or if you can't rotate them. But they only talk about the rear tires. I'm sure that there's lots of legal-ese that make it impossible to ever use the warranty anyway.

"Split fitments - If your vehicle has tires of different sizes on the front versus the rear axles, your tires cannot be rotated as recommended. Therefore, the mileage warranty on each rear tire will cover half the number of miles as the standard mileage warranty for that particular tire line.
ZP (Zero Pressure) tires - The maximum mileage warranty for ZP tires is 30,000 miles."

-Chuck

Quote:
Quite a delayed response...but I'm quite sure that B'Stone doesn't penalize you for this. Either you or I (or the OP) can check their warranty to confirm it. In my dim memory, there was no penalty for not rotating with a staggered set-up.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:55 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Having previously had Michelins that had this same tread pattern but not RFTs they were some of the longest lasting tires I ever owned on a 328. If Michelin says UTOG 500 I expect to get 50K miles out of them. The Conti SSRs had a UTOG 400 which when I changed them out I got 38K miles at 4/32" tread left, legal in this state is 2/32".
The only way I know if this is a mistake is when I have them on the car.
I don't run staggered on my E93 so the issue of not being able to do tire rotation doesn't apply...
Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 PM

I've finally driven these tires in snow/ice. They are incredibly predictable. I have to say, these tires do deserve their M+S rating. These arent as good as a pure snow tire, but g'dam, I would say they are 70% there with RWD. I wouldnt drive in really deep snow, but they will get you through light snow. It took 7 years for a decent A/S run flat to hit the market!!

I cannot say enough good things about these run flats.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Chuck Joga

I finally got these installed. I haven't driven on the highway or taken any twisty roads yet. My observations around town up to about 55 MPH are that they have a more dampened ride and don't transmit as much square edge harshness as the Continentals. They also seem to be quieter. Looking at the profile of the sidewall, they have a much wider bulge with a lip around the bead that extends past the edge of the rim. It would probably be more difficult to accidentally get any rim rash with these tires. I'd say that I'm pretty happy with them so far. I'll be waiting for the next snow storm.

-Chuck
Old 01-31-2013, 09:19 PM

I have finally driven these tires on extreme ice, and light snow. I am completely satisfied. These tires are solid and have good traction on ice at low temps (<10F). I have not driven in deep snow yet (chicago has been having a mild winter). I do no expect these tires to perform as a true winter tire in deep snow, but I have confidence in a bind, I can make it home with careful driving.

I would recommend these tires to anyone looking for a solid Run Flat A/S tire that is quiet and predictable.

I have been driving rwd bmws for over a decade with winter tires. This is the first time I am confident with an a/s in winter under manageable conditions. If the snow is piling up, Ill call it a snow day and stay home.

Last edited by bluskye; 01-31-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:33 PM
BMWCCA 149159

I have had these for 3 weeks and they are a lot quieter than my Michelin Sports. The RFT harshness typical is much much subdued and I am very happy with these tires. I can't comment on handling except to say they are now broken in and I drive only in wet and dry conditions no snow or ice so can't comment.
Great deal on a excellent tire...
Old 02-12-2013, 12:35 PM

There is a $70 rebate till 2/23 to sweeten the deal. When you receive the tires from Tirerack what were their manf. date? Are these on sale because they are close to expiration?
Just had a leak on DWS and inadvertently drove 0.5 miles on it to ruin the tire, had to replace it on the same day.
It seems my left front tire gets the most wear followed by front right then back tires, should have put new tire on Front Left...
Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mine were delievered just after Christmas and the man dates I noticed were something like 3812 meaning 38th week year 2012.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:52 PM

Still on sale for $137 w/$70 rebate of 4 till 4/20.
My DWS has 40k miles on them now. Never rotated, rear has inner wear and cupping.
Unfortunately I had to get a new 225/45ZR17 DWS 3,000 miles ago for $170 locally after a flat tire.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 328i convertible '08
Michelin MX4's now grace my 328i

So I had 21,000 mikes on the original 17" Bridgestones which were manufactured in '07. One of the tires started to bulge on the rear drivers side. Brigestone tire cost was $290 so I took a chance on the $137 Tire Rack Michelins for all corners. Michelins have a better spreed rating and 30k warranty prorated. Drove them for three months now and the ride is acceptable. Paid local Firestone dealer to install them with lifetime rotation included. LOL to me!
Mikey
New Braunfels, TX
P.S. Nordic_Kat, if you are reading this, pls respond to my previous post regarding my request for more details of lubricating my retractable hardtop mechanism. Thanx
Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Here is my report on Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP 225/45R17 90V, which I had installed last week. The summary is that I like the tire very much, the performance in the rain is fantastic, noise level is ok, tracking through road ruts is excellent, impact noise over tiny ripples and pot holes is very good. So far I am very pleased.

Read on for more detail, which will be boring to most people.

Background: I have a 2009 328i, which came stock with Continental ContiProContact SSR. I live near Toronto, Canada, run Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 in the winter, and have 62,000 km / 40,000 miles on the car. I am very sensitive to tire noise and NVH. I rotate tires myself to try to prevent feathering and the noise associated with it, with limited success at best. I do no track my car.

Disclaimer: Comparisons from a worn tire to a new tire of any brand is tricky. For example, if you replaced worn tires with the exact same model, you would likely state that the new tires are smoother, quieter, great in the rain. I last ran the stock Contis last fall, prior to running winters, so comparing the stock Contis to the new Michelins need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Findings: After running the car for perhaps 500 km, I encountered a good rain with temperatures at 5 Cel (40 Faren?); traction in the rain is simply fantastic. These tires do not appear to be as quiet nor smooth running on perfect pavement as the stock Contis. The increase in noise is slight. I may need to play around with the air pressure a bit, as I typically run 2 psi more than advised on the door sill. Perhaps the shop could have done a bit better job balancing - I will need to further investigate. The new tires are better at absorbing slight ripples and hard hits from pot holes. The car is completely unaffected by parallel grooves on roads. Steering behaviour remains telepathic. I am still able to hold the steering wheel in one place, with little or no need for steering correction. Steering response is great, it may be very slightly less than the Contis.

Oscar
Old 04-25-2013, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
SPeed rating of 148 I'd blow them out ... I think I'll try those RE960AS next
Old 04-25-2013, 12:45 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Oscar:
I can compare my Pilots which were new with these MXM4 and report the MXM4 is very quiet compared to the Pilots and improved the mileage significantly.
I would be interested if you noted a change in fuel mileage once you have some miles on them.
About 27 for my Pilots about 31 plus mpg from these at interstate speeds...
Old 04-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:

I have them, and have been unimpressed. Ride and noise are good, but they are definitely biased toward comfort and are not particularly sporty.

I'm going to eventually ditch them and go back to summer tires.