Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:44 PM
robertobaggio20 robertobaggio20 is offline
Banned
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,403
Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaux View Post
I am very much revealing my ignorance here, but I don't now remember which fan it was, just that I think there are two (one is a back-up perhaps?) and they cool the engine down. So I am guessing engine fan. And I read that the fan issue is a common reason for the E-34 to have overheating issues. Actually I paid 27$ to ask.com when I was so frustrated with how my mechanic could 't figure out why it kept overheating and had spent 100's and 100's of dollars trying many non essential fixes. And the expense of those hoses! Best 27$ I have even spent!
You should get a refund from that mechanic unless he can give you a very good reason why not. The fan clutch or engine fan (the fan that you see spinning when you open up your bonnet, between the engine and the radiator) is a VERY obvious thing for mechanics to check.

It is easily checked and it is actually unlikely that they would have missed it. Perhaps there were other issues ?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:58 PM
jeaux jeaux is offline
Registered User
Location: san francisco, california, USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 1990 5301
Well the tricky thing is that it WAS spinning, but not fast enough...thus the overheating. All because of the deteriorating seal.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 PM
robertobaggio20 robertobaggio20 is offline
Banned
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,403
Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaux View Post
Well the tricky thing is that it WAS spinning, but not fast enough...thus the overheating. All because of the deteriorating seal.
Its a viscous clutch, not a seal, and no mechanic worth his salt would be unable to test that within 30 seconds.

Please, however long ago it was, go back there and get a refund. You were ripped off. We don't tolerate that. Use the money to fix your transmission.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 PM
luckydog's Avatar
luckydog luckydog is offline
Lucky to drive a BMW
Location: Ca
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,356
Mein Auto: 2006 M5///
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
Its a viscous clutch, not a seal, and no mechanic worth his salt would be unable to test that within 30 seconds.

Please, however long ago it was, go back there and get a refund. You were ripped off. We don't tolerate that. Use the money to fix your transmission.
I think she is referring to the fan clutch they lose their seal and the hydraulic oil seeps out ,thus rendering the fan useless .It can be tested with engine hot. I have seen two fan clutches fail. As for the original poster . I would focus on the cooling system symptoms and confim coolant loss first.If so look for used replacement engine.

Last edited by luckydog; 12-17-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-18-2012, 08:06 AM
robertobaggio20 robertobaggio20 is offline
Banned
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,403
Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaux View Post
I am very much revealing my ignorance here, but I don't now remember which fan it was, just that I think there are two (one is a back-up perhaps?) and they cool the engine down. So I am guessing engine fan. And I read that the fan issue is a common reason for the E-34 to have overheating issues. Actually I paid 27$ to ask.com when I was so frustrated with how my mechanic could 't figure out why it kept overheating and had spent 100's and 100's of dollars trying many non essential fixes. And the expense of those hoses! Best 27$ I have even spent!
There's a damn good chance that your aux fan circuit is busted. Probably your aux fan's coolant temp sensor. Your aux fan is the backup for your clutch fan.

I'm running my car on my aux fan alone and it works fine. Have removed the clutch fan, so even if your clutch fan was busted, the aux fan should have been able to compensate without difficulty. I think you ought to take a look at that as well. Please see bentley for more information.

rgds,
R

p.s. Point taken LD.

Last edited by robertobaggio20; 12-18-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms