Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
Latest in iPod/Music adapters? Does the DICE Mediabridge work with Business CD?

Hi all, long time!

Anyway, just wanted to see what the latest state-of-the art is. After a lousy IceLink, then a number of years relatively happy with the DICE Silverline (I think?), my trusty 4th gen iPod died on a roadtrip last year, and my iPhone 4S only works approximately once ever 100 times I plug it in with an adapter.. which is a miracle, since supposedly it shouldn't work at all!

Anyway, I'd like something simple, but since I no longer have an iPod with a dock connector, I'm thinking either something that'll work with a modern iPhone (okay, modern-ish; pre-lightening connector.. good reason not to go wired at all, huh?) .. or, preferably, something that does bluetooth A2DP into my Business CD using the changer hookups I have my DICE hooked up to.

I've also heard something about a company called.. USA Spec? Or something like that? But I can't figure out which model(s) to look at.

I sure wouldn't mind a mic for handsfree phone capability, but that's not very important as I talk on the phone about as rarely as I drive the car!

thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Officially Weird

Looks like the USA-Spec PA12 provides the plug-in functionality that I *used* to have with my DICE before the 4S and they stopped updating the DICE to support new devices.

It also looks like *theoretically* the Audiovox (was DICE) MediaBridge MBR-1500-BMW *should* work with my car, but I haven't seen anyone do it. According to their site, the advantages of the MediaBridge over the Silverline Duo (which must be an updated version of the one I have), are that the MEdia Bridge suppots bluetooth audio streaming (a2dp), bluetooth calling, music playback from USB drives (interesting), and Aux input (nice to have). Am curious about how the USB drives / 3.5mm input work with such a limited head unit, eg, how you switch sources on the MediaBridge.. but I have a coworker with an E46 who bought one, I'll have to see if it's installed so I can check it out.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:28 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
I recently put in a DUO in my E46. You can switch sources within 5 seconds of selecting the CD changer. I forget exact buttons, but I can switch between Sirius and Aux/iPod-iPhone input.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 12-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Officially Weird

Thanks. Coworker has offered a mild recommendation of the MediaBridge; now I find that it's impossible to find one in stock before my roadtrip in a couple of weeks (eBay seller backed out on me).

Man, I don't think I've ever had more problems with a company than I've had with IceLink/DICE/now Audiovox. And yet I keep trying to throw my money at them...
Old 12-11-2012, 11:08 PM
your average JAMF

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC,'05 330Ci ZHP
I have a USA*Spec in both my my cars - '05 ZHP Coupe and '07 Z4MC. In the ZHP, it's an analog connection and it's AWESOME. Perfect sound quality, works as advertised, never locks up or requires a cold start of any kind, love the thing. So I later got one for the Z4MC - with the Carver setup, you use the DSP model, and the connection is digital - and sounds AWFUL. I contacted USA*Spec and they basically confirmed that it's an inferior connection.

For a Z3 application, as long is the connection is via the standard non-DSP PA12-BMW, I would endorse it strongly. Works great for me.

'05 330Ci ZHP ..PD99819______________'07 Z4M Coupe ..LL93707
Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
BTW did you try to update the software in you Silverline to work with your iPhone 4S?

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
USA Spec works great in my 2000 with CD43 business radio.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:13 AM
John

Mein Auto: 2000 M roadster
I have been looking at these since my CD changer is not working properly.

After doing my own research on the various solutions mentioned here and a few other places, I ordered a USA*Spec for my car. It may be a while before I will have time to get it installed. When I do I will dig up this thread for some feedback.

Thanks for the various options offered by everyone. It was very helpful in my quest to find a replacement for the CD changer.