Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Old 12-18-2012, 06:40 AM
Bimmerholic

Mein Auto: 2001 530 SP/PP/CWP/Slush
E39 Needs recs, specific driving profile

Hi all,

I am looking for new tire recs. I have a specific driving profile which I hope will help in explaining the kind of tires I need.

First, the current set up. I drive a 2001 530 with Sport Package. I have 17 inch staggered wheels with Falken ZIEX-ZE 912 rubber, sized 235/45R and 255/40R. These tires are unidirectional and asymmetrical. They were great for 8000 miles or so. Now at 11,000 miles they are very noisy at highway speeds, even though they are not worn. I bought them because they are all season and I use them year round, and also because I wanted something that handled water well, which these do.

My car is not a daily driver. A few short trips per week, year round, with most distance driving done in warmer months. However, because I live in the northeast, I need a tire that performs well in temps below 40 degrees. When it snows, I donít drive. Nevertheless, there is always a chance I might have to drive in a coating. I donít need winter wheels/tires.

So, I am looking for rubber that will function well year round, does not have asymmetrical tread (I learned my lesson) and does not cost an arm and a leg. My Falkens were around $100-$120 each on sale. I am willing to pay more, but not $1000 for 4 tires. I put less than 5000 miles per year on my car, and my last set of tires (Dunlop Sport) lasted 25,000 miles. Iíd like these to last.

Your thoughts are much appreciated. Pls donít hesitate to ask if you need more info.

2001 530 Steel Blue Metallic, purchased Dec 03
SP/PP/CWP/Slushbox (I know I know)

OEM M5 bumper, 40% Huper Optik ceramic tint, Dice Silverline Pro iPod adapter, 540SP radial spokes, Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads
"Mods": driveshaft, cooling system, Vanos, CCV, PSR, VCG, FSU, spark plugs, buncha belts-n-hoses, & other things I'd just as soon forget

BMW CCA member for 12 years
Advertisement