Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #651  
Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 AM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,035
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
The most important car to one of the most important car companies in the entire world with a Board of Directors and hundreds of thousands of shareholders just decided to plunk the centerpiece of the 3 Series cockpit in any old location, let some 20 year old design intern plop it wherever he wanted, didn't give it much thought.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

BJ
BMW is not immune to bad engineering and design decisions.
The same car company with the same board of directors designed the harsh suspension and "truck like steering" that you hated so much on the E90 M-Sport, stuck the indicator LED for the E9x seat adjustment in a place where it is impossible to see unless you are on your knees outside the car and placed the indicator for the windshield wipers were it is hidden by the steering wheel.

I seriously doubt, however, that the screen on the F30 was an afterthought. I think it is rather obvious that anyone designing a BMW interior (and it was certainly not a one person project) would have been aware from the start that there was going to be an iDrive screen.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Reply With Quote
  #652  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:23 AM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
The most important car to one of the most important car companies in the entire world with a Board of Directors and hundreds of thousands of shareholders just decided to plunk the centerpiece of the 3 Series cockpit in any old location, let some 20 year old design intern plop it wherever he wanted, didn't give it much thought.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

BJ
Unthinkable isn't it? But unthinkable happens. Who said tablet is new? Touch screen, voice command...those are newer. Of course being new, they are evolving. Something tried and true, like iDrive, is a solid feature, but not new. Not saying it is a bad thing, just not new.

The design is likely a cost-saving measure. You don't see it in the more upscale models.

Last edited by dtc100; 12-17-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #653  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 AM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,761
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Unthinkable isn't it? But unthinkable happens. Who said tablet is new? Touch screen, voice command...those are newer. Of course being new, they are evolving. Something tried and true, like iDrive, is a solid feature, but not new. Not saying it is a bad thing, just not new.

The design is likely a cost-saving measure. You don't see it in the more upscale models.
This is what I think too as the most plausible explanation.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Reply With Quote
  #654  
Old 12-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Michael Schott Michael Schott is offline
Moderator
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,308
Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Unthinkable isn't it? But unthinkable happens. Who said tablet is new? Touch screen, voice command...those are newer. Of course being new, they are evolving. Something tried and true, like iDrive, is a solid feature, but not new. Not saying it is a bad thing, just not new.

The design is likely a cost-saving measure. You don't see it in the more upscale models.
Take a look at the 6 series.
Reply With Quote
  #655  
Old 12-17-2012, 10:58 AM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,035
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Take a look at the 6 series.


Here is the 3 (top) compared to the 6 (middle) and the 7 (bottom)
It does look like BMW is heading in the direction of the thin screen placed on top of the dash,









__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-17-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #656  
Old 12-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,795
Mein Auto: '04 330i
Seems to me BMW just didn't have the room in the smaller 3 to integrate the nav into the dashboard. So they did the most practical thing, rather than put it lower where you have to take your eyes off the road to see it. Function over style.

I have no complaints.
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
Reply With Quote
  #657  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:07 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,035
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Seems to me BMW just didn't have the room in the smaller 3 to integrate the nav into the dashboard. So they did the most practical thing, rather than put it lower where you have to take your eyes off the road to see it. Function over style.

I have no complaints.
It is basically in the same place as it was on the E90. What changed is the way it is integrated into the dash, which is style not function. Most people who have purchased F30 seem to be happy with the new implementation. It just takes a bit of getting used to because it is a very different look.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Reply With Quote
  #658  
Old 12-17-2012, 01:50 PM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,761
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
The 7 Series design is well thought out and implemented.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Reply With Quote
  #659  
Old 12-17-2012, 02:29 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,775
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
You keep over stepping your bounds! Careful, you're getting close to your exit, once again.
You've got that backwards, pops. I own an F30. I belong here. This is my forum. It's well-known you're trolling in it. Please stop.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #660  
Old 12-17-2012, 02:33 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,775
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post

The design is likely a cost-saving measure. You don't see it in the more upscale models.
I don't even need to scroll down to know that Captain Audio has by now inserted screen shots of other BMW's with the same 'tablet' approach.

The F30 is an upscale model, so yes, you do see it there.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #661  
Old 12-17-2012, 02:38 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,775
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Seems to me BMW just didn't have the room in the smaller 3 to integrate the nav into the dashboard. So they did the most practical thing, rather than put it lower where you have to take your eyes off the road to see it. Function over style.

I have no complaints.
+1

The nav is the same size as the outgoing one and there's less knobs/clutter than on the old one so there was actually more room for the nav if they wanted to integrate it in the dash.

I've read reviews stating how BMW feels that certain protocols are going to become law and they like to get ahead of the game (like rear cameras for child safety, eyes free driving for anti-text, etc.) and that having LCD infotainment screens as high as possible in the drivers line of sight is one of them.

Look, the E90's LCD is just as good as the F30's, they just removed all the plastic around it and made it look like half an iPad. As an F30 owner I can tell you that no one gets in my car and says "wow, what an afterthought that screen is". Instead, they marvel at it's clarity in bright sunlight and appreciate it's functionality.

My opinion, it's a forward-thinking safety measure to help avoid driver distraction which is a big problem on the roads.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #662  
Old 12-17-2012, 02:42 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,775
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
It is basically in the same place as it was on the E90. What changed is the way it is integrated into the dash, which is style not function. Most people who have purchased F30 seem to be happy with the new implementation. It just takes a bit of getting used to because it is a very different look.

CA
+1

And the truth is I don't use it that much. Because of the HUD, my reliance on the primary LCD is limited to a) navigation, b) iPod starting point.

If you configure your 1-8 shortcut buttons, you don't need to spin the iDrive wheel much at all or use the iDrive display for anything. Hit #8 to navigate home, hit #6 to see a list of driving directions, hit #4 for radio favorites, hit #5 for iPod.

If I'm taking a long trip, I merely email myself the address through the BMW Remote app, use the iDrive wheel to lock it in. I then scroll to an iPod playlist. From that point forward, for the next 4 hours on the drive, I only have to use the HUD and the 1-8 keys to get what I need. The HUD lets me spin through radio stations or playlist songs, the 1-8 keys let me control navigation and split-screen.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #663  
Old 12-17-2012, 03:47 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,035
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
+1

And the truth is I don't use it that much. Because of the HUD, my reliance on the primary LCD is limited to a) navigation, b) iPod starting point.

If you configure your 1-8 shortcut buttons, you don't need to spin the iDrive wheel much at all or use the iDrive display for anything. Hit #8 to navigate home, hit #6 to see a list of driving directions, hit #4 for radio favorites, hit #5 for iPod.

If I'm taking a long trip, I merely email myself the address through the BMW Remote app, use the iDrive wheel to lock it in. I then scroll to an iPod playlist. From that point forward, for the next 4 hours on the drive, I only have to use the HUD and the 1-8 keys to get what I need. The HUD lets me spin through radio stations or playlist songs, the 1-8 keys let me control navigation and split-screen.

BJ
Never drove a car with an HUD but it sounds like an interesting feature. I subsribe to the BMW Concierge service (I am not sure if that is what they call it) and I can call the concierge, tell them what I am looking for or where I want to go and they will upload the address to my Nav.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Reply With Quote
  #664  
Old 12-17-2012, 03:55 PM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I don't even need to scroll down to know that Captain Audio has by now inserted screen shots of other BMW's with the same 'tablet' approach.

The F30 is an upscale model, so yes, you do see it there.

BJ
That is basically your style, you don't need to look at it, your statements are it.

But if you look at Captain's pics, as the model line becomes more upscale, the screen becomes more integrated. So yes, the less luxury model gets a less thoughtful design with less materials.

Also saying the screen is "half an iPad" and attribute this to the brilliance of the design language, is laughable. By your logic, you must write BMW up and demand they copy ATS, as the ATS not only makes the touchscreen very much iPad like, they even give you an iPad loaded with CUE so you are reminded how iPad like it is when you are not in the car.

Last edited by dtc100; 12-17-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #665  
Old 12-17-2012, 04:07 PM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Never drove a car with an HUD but it sounds like an interesting feature. I subsribe to the BMW Concierge service (I am not sure if that is what they call it) and I can call the concierge, tell them what I am looking for or where I want to go and they will upload the address to my Nav.

CA
This service is available in the cheapest cars these days. I had a Chevy Cruze Eco 6MT for work, it's Onstar service did just that, and much more. And that service has been available for years.

Here is another point to make. These days luxury brands don't have much exclusivity on the digital tech front. They are just wrapped in a better looking package, if it is actually better looking that is.
Reply With Quote
  #666  
Old 12-17-2012, 04:14 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,775
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Never drove a car with an HUD but it sounds like an interesting feature. I subsribe to the BMW Concierge service (I am not sure if that is what they call it) and I can call the concierge, tell them what I am looking for or where I want to go and they will upload the address to my Nav.

CA
If you're back in NY let me know. We can do lunch. I'll let you touch the F30 and everything.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #667  
Old 12-17-2012, 04:16 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,775
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
That is basically your style, you don't need to look at it, your statements are it.

But if you look at Captain's pics, as the model line becomes more upscale, the screen becomes more integrated. So yes, the less luxury model gets a less thoughtful design with less materials.

Also saying the screen is "half an iPad" and attribute this to the brilliance of the design language, is laughable. By your logic, you must write BMW up and demand they copy ATS, as the ATS not only makes the touchscreen very much iPad like, they even give you an iPad loaded with CUE so you are reminded how iPad like it is when you are not in the car.
Truthfully, I don't think about my LCD screen at all. I hated the humpty-hump in the E90, thought it was too cumbersome and ruined the dash. In the F30, I resigned myself to the fact that all cars need integrated NAV and LCD's and am grateful that it no longer looks like a copy/pasted camel. There is no good place to put it, but it's comfortably in my line of sight, I can still have good peripheral vision, it's what it is.

Most importantly: No perspective F30 buyer is going to take a pass on the F30 because of the screen design.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #668  
Old 12-17-2012, 04:18 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,035
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
If you're back in NY let me know. We can do lunch. I'll let you touch the F30 and everything.

BJ
I am back in Manhattan to be with family for the holidays.
Heading back to The Boca Raton Club after Jan 1st.

PM me.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-17-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #669  
Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Lorenzzo Lorenzzo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 160
Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Take a look at the 6 series.
The screen implementations on the 3 and 6 series are terrific. The 7's screen placement is inferior. I test drove a 640 and 750 yesterday. I may need to get something a little more upscale for business. Once you start using the new arrangement the old way feels outdated and silly.

I might add whichever I get, the 7 or 6, I'll end up driving the 3 most of the time simply because it's way more fun.
__________________
2012 328i Sport
2008 550i Sport
2005 E55
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Reply With Quote
  #670  
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,035
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzzo View Post
The screen implementations on the 3 and 6 series are terrific. The 7's screen placement is inferior. I test drove a 640 and 750 yesterday. I may need to get something a little more upscale for business. Once you start using the new arrangement the old way feels outdated and silly.

I might add whichever I get, the 7 or 6, I'll end up driving the 3 most of the time simply because it's way more fun.
As the owner of both a 335i (E93) and a 750Li xdrive I beg to differ. Very different cars but both very enjoyable to drive,

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Reply With Quote
  #671  
Old 12-17-2012, 05:04 PM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Truthfully, I don't think about my LCD screen at all. I hated the humpty-hump in the E90, thought it was too cumbersome and ruined the dash. In the F30, I resigned myself to the fact that all cars need integrated NAV and LCD's and am grateful that it no longer looks like a copy/pasted camel. There is no good place to put it, but it's comfortably in my line of sight, I can still have good peripheral vision, it's what it is.

Most importantly: No perspective F30 buyer is going to take a pass on the F30 because of the screen design.

BJ
Of course the screen will not be a deal breaker. The lower front bumper design will. Luckily BMW offers the m-sport trim as an alternative. If I heard it right, soon you don't even have to have the m-sport package, just order a body kit option to get the m look at the front.

Who said BMW does not listen?
Reply With Quote
  #672  
Old 12-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Lorenzzo Lorenzzo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 160
Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
As the owner of both a 335i (E93) and a 750Li xdrive I beg to differ. Very different cars but both very enjoyable to drive,

CA
I agree completely, didn't mean to imply otherwise. In fact the 750Li performs amazingly well for the size car it is and is extremely enjoyable. I just prefer the dynamics of smaller, lighter cars.
__________________
2012 328i Sport
2008 550i Sport
2005 E55
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Reply With Quote
  #673  
Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 AM
HugH HugH is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arlington TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 847
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
+1

And the truth is I don't use it that much. Because of the HUD, my reliance on the primary LCD is limited to a) navigation, b) iPod starting point.

If you configure your 1-8 shortcut buttons, you don't need to spin the iDrive wheel much at all or use the iDrive display for anything. Hit #8 to navigate home, hit #6 to see a list of driving directions, hit #4 for radio favorites, hit #5 for iPod.

If I'm taking a long trip, I merely email myself the address through the BMW Remote app, use the iDrive wheel to lock it in. I then scroll to an iPod playlist. From that point forward, for the next 4 hours on the drive, I only have to use the HUD and the 1-8 keys to get what I need. The HUD lets me spin through radio stations or playlist songs, the 1-8 keys let me control navigation and split-screen.

BJ
Outstanding post, BJ. Our 328 should be arriving within the next 10 days. It has both HUD and navigation. I have saved your post so I can implement it and make my wife's life simpler. She is one of those people that's afraid to use anything new, although we've had nav in our last two cars, we haven't had a car with iDrive yet.
Reply With Quote
  #674  
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,775
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugH View Post
Outstanding post, BJ. Our 328 should be arriving within the next 10 days. It has both HUD and navigation. I have saved your post so I can implement it and make my wife's life simpler. She is one of those people that's afraid to use anything new, although we've had nav in our last two cars, we haven't had a car with iDrive yet.
Replied to this in this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=7257526

Check it out.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #675  
Old 12-18-2012, 01:13 PM
SD330i SD330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego, Ca.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 724
Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Thumbs up Back From Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Truthfully, I don't think about my LCD screen at all. I hated the humpty-hump in the E90, thought it was too cumbersome and ruined the dash. In the F30, I resigned myself to the fact that all cars need integrated NAV and LCD's and am grateful that it no longer looks like a copy/pasted camel. There is no good place to put it, but it's comfortably in my line of sight, I can still have good peripheral vision, it's what it is.

Most importantly: No perspective F30 buyer is going to take a pass on the F30 because of the screen design.

BJ
BJ, now back home in San Diego. Enjoyed our 17 days of Training in Bridgewater NJ. We stayed at the Bridgewater Marriott on Commons across from the Mall. That is a great spot to stay if going to any of the Pharma Companies. Everything is so Close. It was fun to drive by BMW of Bridgewater every day on the way to Sales Training at the Sanofi Campus Headquarters. Weather was not as cold as expected, and we had no snow. Just rain a few days. Never made it to the Clubs. Ha Ha. Maybe next time. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to You and your Family. Hope all the Hurricane Sandy problems are beginning to resolve. Our Corporate Headquarters was closed for a week , as was my friend's who works for J&J down the Street. Keep up the well informed Postings in 2013.
__________________
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
caddys are for old people


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms