Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Lamborghini Murciélago
Looking for sage advice re. car for college kid

Having been a BMW owner for years, although not at present, I know some of the pitfalls in BMW ownership, ie cost of maintenance. That said, I'm looking for a car for my son that is 1) safe, 2) reliable, 3) can navigate snow, 4) can transport stuff, i.e. snowboards/bikes, etc., and 5) is below $10k.
I have seen a lot of 2002 vintage X5's in the $7k to $8k range w/ 130k miles. Is this a good candidate, or should I look elsewhere. Are there major issues with this vintage and that mileage?
All ideas graciously welcome!
2010 4Runner TR
08 Honda Element 4WD
2013 VW Passat tdi
Ads by Google
Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 imola red 740i Sport
I have one in college and another on the way. Your requirements where similar to mine (aside from #4). I would suggest something along the lines of a AWD CRV. Get one 'pre loved'. Parking outside on campus streets is a car killer. X5, IMO, is probably not a good choice for a number of reasons. Without the #4 requirement, mine ended up with my hand-me-down Infinity and an Ultima.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
When I was in college I barely used my car, until I got an internship at a business in the neighboring town.

A nice 4 door, manual 3 series is my vote. No need for a big, hard to park, SUV unless the kid is in school in the mountains or something.

And teach the kid how to drive in the snow. Much more effective than just getting an AWD vehicle.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 12-19-2012, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: E53 4.4i X5
3 series in the snow! Nooooooo thank you!

X5 diesel probably a good choice for what he's after. I'd probably steer well clear of the petrol models for numerous reasons at that age and mileage.

Last edited by Graham132white; 12-19-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
I did it in bald all seasons. Risky? Maybe, but you have to learn sometime if you really want to reduce the risks.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 12-19-2012, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the input so far. He is in the mountains in CO, so that's the reason for AWD. I think there some valid reason to get something like an AWD Element, however they tend to be over the $10k mark for under 100k mile unit.
I didn't realize that they made X5 diesels for the American market back then.
2010 4Runner TR
08 Honda Element 4WD
2013 VW Passat tdi
Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
A 3 series Touring (wagon) or e39 Touring would work great. And don't fret about the snow...just have a set of dedicated winter tires. With proper winter tires...your son's driving experience will be better than most SUV owners that are running with all season tires. If mountain passes will be part of his driving experience...then also supply a set of chains.

I'm sure he'd appreciate the utility for all the stuff you mentioned about carrying...and he'd get better gas mileage if you went with any of the I6 models *3 or 5 series). In fact, the e34 & e39 Touring has more cargo space than the e53 X5. I've driven through blizzards, ice storms, freezing rain...everything a winter living in the Great Lakes area can throw at you...and I've never gotten stuck or slid off the road using dedicated winter tires (all 4 corners). AWD is nice, but a RWD mounted with proper winter tires is amazingly more capable than you can imagine. Being able to stop as well as turn is just as important as acceleration...and dedicated winter tires excel with all three of those criteria.

Plus the Tourings also have the roof rails that uses the same cross bars like the X5 if additional carriage is required. Again, an e39 528iT or 525iT should seriously be considered...I loved my e34 & e39 Tourings. And also give the 3 series Tourings a look...again, mounted with dedicated winters makes them almost unstoppable...and if the newer models are within the budget range...they have multiple models with AWD/x-Drive just like the X3 & X5 models.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 12-19-2012, 04:12 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I would go for a Subaru Legacy Outback. Lower in power means less of a chance he overpowers a situation. Hauls a lot of stuff. Full time AWD makes it one of the best foul weather cars out there. If it gets lumps and bumps, it won't hurt your heart.

Let him aspire to BMW.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 AM

Mein Auto: E53 4.4i X5
I've gotta agree with that! Legacy outback deffo a good choice.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
Thanks for the input so far. He is in the mountains in CO, so that's the reason for AWD. I think there some valid reason to get something like an AWD Element, however they tend to be over the $10k mark for under 100k mile unit.
I didn't realize that they made X5 diesels for the American market back then.
Element would be fine. Ugly IMO but fine! I don't think the X5 was offered with a Diesel until 2008 so that won't work for requirement #5. I also stayed away from the X5 because of cost of ownership and size as campus parking is often very cramped. Sedans don't fit #4. Touring is interesting but seems they are not as common and demand more of a premium. Both work great with dedicated snows but then there is two sets of tires and they don't have the ground clearence of some of the other candidates. Now the Subaru, that seems to fit the ticket!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:12 AM

Thanks guys, I leased an 07 Touring that I couldn't wait to give back. Not because it was a bad car, but the hatchback was pretty useless. too small of an opening to get a bike into.
The Outback is the CO state car as you see more of them than anything else, so that's a good choice.
The Element is quite versatile, and yes, fugly. No one would want to "key" that one. The Honda drive train is less than stellar, but reliable.
I think you have successfully talked me out of the X series and given some reasonable alternatives...thanks!
2010 4Runner TR
08 Honda Element 4WD
2013 VW Passat tdi
Old 12-20-2012, 07:19 AM

If there is a surplus of Outbacks around, then I think you found your car! Off to shopping! Have fun with that. I enjoyed shopping for my Son's car (daughters was a hand my down). Daughter graduates in April so it will be car shopping time again. Difference is, this time she is paying for it!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:21 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
Thanks guys, I leased an 07 Touring that I couldn't wait to give back. Not because it was a bad car, but the hatchback was pretty useless. too small of an opening to get a bike into.
The Outback is the CO state car as you see more of them than anything else, so that's a good choice.
The Element is quite versatile, and yes, fugly. No one would want to "key" that one. The Honda drive train is less than stellar, but reliable.
I think you have successfully talked me out of the X series and given some reasonable alternatives...thanks!
The Element is not really an AWD car. It is a FWD car that, upon slippage, engages the rear wheels. The effect, compared to a real, full time AWD car, is mostly felt in regular driving in bad weather, where all the wheels have drive, as opposed to plowing through a corner in FWD only. Having had both (the CRV has the same drive train), the AWD is much, much better in the rain and slush and snow. The only thing the Element (or CRV) is OK at, regarding AWD, is taking off from a stop. Otherwise, it is FWD all the way.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:33 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham132white View Post
3 series in the snow! Nooooooo thank you!

X5 diesel probably a good choice for what he's after. I'd probably steer well clear of the petrol models for numerous reasons at that age and mileage.
Uh... I have both an E46 3-series and an E53 X5. The E46 with full snow tires (all 4 wheels) and a couple of bags of sand in the boot is better in the snow than the X5 with all season tires. We average a couple of feet of snow a year and I wouldn't hesitate to take the E46 anywhere. ANYWHERE.

The diesel X5 variant wasn't available in the US until later in the model run and they're scarce in the US. Hell, the 3.0i petrol wasn't available until a year after the 4.4i was released.

I bought my 01 E53 3.0i new and it currently has 121k miles on it. As long as you find a well maintained X5 (with proof) I wouldn't worry too much about it. Cooling systems need maintenance, front outer CV boots rip often, window regulators break, gaskets leak (search OFHG and VCG). Beyond that, it's been the best vehicle I've ever owned. I'd look for a 3.0i as the 6cyl has fewer issues and the M54 is a gem of an engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
The Element is not really an AWD car. It is a FWD car that, upon slippage, engages the rear wheels. The effect, compared to a real, full time AWD car, is mostly felt in regular driving in bad weather, where all the wheels have drive, as opposed to plowing through a corner in FWD only. Having had both (the CRV has the same drive train), the AWD is much, much better in the rain and slush and snow. The only thing the Element (or CRV) is OK at, regarding AWD, is taking off from a stop. Otherwise, it is FWD all the way.
Very good explanation, and accurate, btw! Found an 07 X3 w/ 80K on it and fully loaded. Price is over my mark, but really well cared for. Any thoughts re that choice? It seems that Outback owners are proud of their 100k+ cars, and it hard to find a good one under my price point.
2010 4Runner TR
08 Honda Element 4WD
2013 VW Passat tdi