Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li
I am too scared to use this feature anywhere outside of a long drive through window line... I know that someone will try to drive into my trunk if I dare use it on the road.

There should be a way to program the Auto P function to light up the brake lights when that "Auto P" light illuminates on the dash!
Would that be possible?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Ever driven a stick? The brake lights aren't lit when you're holding the car with the clutch. How is auto-p any different?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 06 750Li
Update..

Well called my dealer today,they ran the VIN and said that my car is not on the list of this recall ,but BMW do sent the letters out to every one who own an 7's....
So you guys may need to call them first before you head to the dealer so you don't waste your time.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: Many things
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsapra View Post
+1

The way I read the letter ...

"if you a moron, and jab at the start stop button repeatedly and then watch/ignore the car move from Drive to Neutral, and knowingly leap out of the car while the car is in Neutral, it could roll away"

"we're working on a software patch that will cover ourselves from litigous idiots, which will be ready soon"

V.

And that's how it should read. If people are too stupid to put the car in park before getting out, you deserve to be run over by your own car.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnoop View Post
Ever driven a stick? The brake lights aren't lit when you're holding the car with the clutch. How is auto-p any different?
Yes... Spent most of my life driving stick.
I don't recommend holding you car in place with the clutch all of the time either. Same reason as above plus the additional wear and tear on your clutch and if you are rear ended, your foot naturally lifts off the clutch... Thus propelling your car forward into the car infront of you (or busy intersection) causing an additional accident that the DMV and insurance company will consider your fault.

Here in SoCal everyone is barely paying attention to the car in front of them, they are too busy texting or reading their email on their phones. Being stopped without a brake light illuminated is just asking for trouble.

I figure that it would make sense to have the brake lights light-up when the brakes are actually being used. BMW was nice enough to give us a green light on the dash to tell us that the brakes are on... How about a red brake light for the drivers behind us?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 750li
2006 750li....Got my recalls letters on Tues 12/18/12, called and set up and appt to have the recall done. Took it in that after noon, they kelp it over night because is was close to closing and the gave me a loner car to drive. Picked it up the next day all done.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by daman4d00 View Post
2006 750li....Got my recalls letters on Tues 12/18/12, called and set up and appt to have the recall done. Took it in that after noon, they kelp it over night because is was close to closing and the gave me a loner car to drive. Picked it up the next day all done.
My letter said the software won't be available for three more months. What exactly were they able to do for you?
Old 12-20-2012, 01:56 PM
It's all about me!

Mein Auto: 07-750LI, 12-X3, 01-330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn View Post
I called my dealer in Nashville and after leaving 4 voice messages with the service department to make an appointment someone called me back and said I was the first call about the recalls and they would get back to me next week when they learn something about how to repair these 2 issues. I was told that BMW Corporate had not told them anything about the recall! UH-OH!
I got my rollaway recall letter a few days ago. It says they are testing the software resolution and they don't anticipate it being ready until March of 2013. They also say they will notify us again once the fix is ready to go.

2007 750LI Barbera Red
2001 330Cic Orient Blue
2000 328i Jet Black(Sold)
2004 X3 Mystic Blue
2012 X3 Alpine White
Old 12-20-2012, 05:35 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Yep. My dealer has the software fix fire the roll away as well.

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 745li
Cool letters

TXSTYLE--I got a similar letter only to find our that despite what it read my vin number did not apply. It was kind of like a ploy to get you into the dealership and then to sell you something else. Anyway, unless you have another reason to make the trip, I'd call ahead. Ask them to verify that your vin number is affected.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 745li
Exclamation evil twins

I did a lot of reading before settling on a 750 Li. My 745 Li had turned into a nightmare because the dealer told me that the secondary air warning light really meant a $15,000 repair. All I read about the 750 Li said that the problems of the 745 Li had been corrected and the 750 was really a different and improved car, especially the engine.

Yesterday, as I was discussing this at the dealer's, the service advisor said that the engines in the 745 and the 750 were the same and the fate of my 750 would be the same as the 745. I was stunned. Probably would not have bought the car as load of advice warned me against.

What's the deal? Are the 745 and 750 engines just evil twins?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:39 PM
TTurboFest

Mein Auto: F02 (750Li)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbmwx5 View Post
Update..

Well called my dealer today,they ran the VIN and said that my car is not on the list of this recall ,but BMW do sent the letters out to every one who own an 7's....
So you guys may need to call them first before you head to the dealer so you don't waste your time.
That's correct , my only recall is for the soft close doors .
Options: Camera Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Driver asst, F&R Luxury Seating, Prem/Sound, Rear Entertainment, Sport Pkg, Massage rear seats, Ceramic Controls, Active Cruise, SmarthPhone Int., Night Vision, Head-UP Display, Sat, Leather Wrapped Dash&Doors.
(N54 E82 135i) JB4 ISO FBO, 434whp & 470wtq / Run Conditions 90.28 *F
Old 03-22-2013, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: '05 745Li | '12 X5 50i
Today I received the notice from BMW that the software update for the rollaway problem (12v-502) is now available at the dealers.

2005 BMW 745Li (Orient Blue Metallic|Nasca Beige Leather|Luxury Seating Pkg|Convenience Pkg|Premium Sound Pkg|Comfort Access|Sirius Radio|Bluetooth|19" Alloy Wheels).
2012 BMW X5 xDrive50i (Deep Sea Blue Metallic|Nappa Black Leather|3rd Row Seat|Cold Weather Pkg|Lane Departure Warning|Nappa Leather Console/Dashboard|Premium Pkg|Premium Sound Pkg|Sport Activity Pkg|Technology Pkg).
Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 PM

Well... A month went by with no incident of the door not latching then one morning it didn't latch. Then it happened again a week later. Has this happened to anyone else that had the software reprogramming for the soft close automatic doors (Recall campaign No. 12V-504)?

I did take my car to the dealer two days ago to address the second recall notice for the rollaway issue and also had them take a second look into this issue. They didn't reproduce the failure and said that if it occurs again in the future that they may recommend replacing the door lock actuator. I seriously doubt that is the culprit.

2005 BMW 745Li (Orient Blue Metallic|Nasca Beige Leather|Luxury Seating Pkg|Convenience Pkg|Premium Sound Pkg|Comfort Access|Sirius Radio|Bluetooth|19" Alloy Wheels).
2012 BMW X5 xDrive50i (Deep Sea Blue Metallic|Nappa Black Leather|3rd Row Seat|Cold Weather Pkg|Lane Departure Warning|Nappa Leather Console/Dashboard|Premium Pkg|Premium Sound Pkg|Sport Activity Pkg|Technology Pkg).
Old 04-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Vito

Mein Auto: 7 series
They need the recall for the logic 7 amp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Bimmer App
Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 PM

Is it me or did the software upgrade for the rollaway recall do something to the volume control level for the audio system? I recall changing the volume level from the steering wheel or the volume button was more gradual before this upgrade. But after the upgrade, the volume level jumps considerably up and down. Can anyone else corroborate this?

Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 AM

Update: When I started my car this morning, the volume from the stereo was barely audible. I intentionally didn't change the volume and let the car idle for a minute to see if the volume would change during that time. It didn't so I set off for work and it wasn't until I accelerated somewhere between 35 and 40 mph that the volume went from barely audible to very loud. I understand it that the volume will or can adjust depending on the speed of the car but this isn't normal.

To me, the fact that this problem is related to the speed of the vehicle and that the recall involved the transmission makes me think this isn't at all a coincidence. Does anyone else agree or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:01 PM

Today I started the car and set the speed volume setting to the lowest setting. When I drove off, the volume didn't change when accelerating over 40 mph and more importantly, the volume controls on the steering wheel and stereo worked correctly. But as soon as I increased the speed volume setting, the volume jumped dramatically and the behavior I described earlier with the volume controls returned. Even lowering the speed volume setting didn't make any difference.