Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Since I only have 6 choices on my e90 here they are!
1. Call home
2. Call wife's cell
3. Night mode toggle
4. BMW Search
5. Nav home
6. Check oil

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,

Last edited by 3284me; 12-19-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I figured out a way to prioritize cell phone numbers so that they appear the moment you hit the Phone button on the iDrive controller. As result, you don't need to tie up any of the 1-8 console shortcut buttons for that function.

The way it works now, you hit Phone, it defaults to the address book, but it's in alphabetical order. So many of the favorites that you would be dialing frequently are buried hundreds of entries below.

The workaround for this is to add a "period" before the name of the address book entry. iDrive prioritizes certain symbols ahead of letters and numbers. So on my iPhone, I've added eight duplicate phone numbers and changed the names thusly:

"Home" is duplicated as .Home

"My Wife" is now split as .Wife Mobile and .Wife Work

Once you set up these duplicates with just phone numbers and add the "period" before the first letter of the person's name, they will appear on the very first screen the second you hit the phone button on the iDrive controller.

From an iPhone standpoint, the duplicates do not appear in your favorites and don't add clutter to your core address book on that device.

BJ
Something else I will try if my car ever gets here. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
1. Call wife cell
2. Sirius 100
3. Sirius 206
4. Sirius Classic Rewind
5. Sirius 80s on 8
6. Sirius 90s on 9
7. Nav Home
8. Nav Office
2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps
Old 12-19-2012, 07:05 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2014 335i
only using 3

1. Wife Cell
2. 97.5 Fanatic
8. Nav-Home
2012 F30 335i Sedan - BSM, Sport Line, PP,Tech,HK,CW,DA2
2010 E90 M3 - JBM PP,TP,ES,CW,Beast

BMWCCA #471315
Old 12-19-2012, 09:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
1. Call wife cell
2. Sirius 100
3. Sirius 206
4. Sirius Classic Rewind
5. Sirius 80s on 8
6. Sirius 90s on 9
7. Nav Home
8. Nav Office
You should put all your channels into the presets tab and then make just one button presets. Once they are in presets you can scroll from your steering wheel between the items very easily. And you can get 40 presets I believe.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
1-Bluetooth Audio
2-presets
3-
4-USB audio
5-call wife
6-call home
7-work nav
8-home nav

But I like being able to change the split screen info with a single button between nav and entertainment details. That might be the new 3-4 buttons
Old 12-19-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo View Post
You should put all your channels into the presets tab and then make just one button presets. Once they are in presets you can scroll from your steering wheel between the items very easily. And you can get 40 presets I believe.
Yeah, I've seen where others have done that and I have filled out all my presets.

However, in satellite mode, I keep in the 'favorites list' mode so that I can more easily see if an alert is present.
2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps
Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo View Post
You should put all your channels into the presets tab and then make just one button presets.
I did this for a short while until I noticed it was redundant. The Radio shortcut key brings up the preset list, if that was the last radio-related screen you were viewing before switching to another function. In other words, select the preset list, then select any other function (main menu, navigation, telephone, etc.), then press Radio--up comes the preset list. There is no need to burn a programmable key, once you have your favorites stored and use the other radio screens less often.

Also, it's not mentioned anywhere but pressing a shortcut key twice opens the top-level menu for that function. So for example, if you press Radio and find it returned you to the FM station list (because that was the last radio screen you used), press it again to open the main Radio menu, then select Presets. And of course there's voice command which is even more direct.

FWIW, although I am driving an old beater by some standards , my hotkeys are set as follows:
  1. Split screen on/off
  2. Map, perspective view, scale 800ft
  3. Split screen entertainment details
  4. POI search, fuel stations at current location
  5. Traffic information
  6. Night mode on/off
I want to reprogram #3 but haven't yet decided what will be most useful. Lately, I find myself using other split-screen panels often and because I usually select them by voice command, there is less need for any one choice to merit a button. The current favorite to take over the #3 slot is BMW Assist > Messages. I have the filter set to show only Service messages (i.e., no texts or emails--the list at Office > Messages is set to accept those), giving quick access to destinations sent from Google.

(And, yes, if you hadn't noticed, the message list filters for BMW Assist and Office (or ConnectedDrive or whatever it is now) are independent. )

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 12-19-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i XDrive
Quote:

As an example, BMW has buried the function that shows you the full, sequential list of turn-by-turn directions when you are navigating to a destination. It's there, but it requires a whole bunch of option button presses, wheel turns, back buttons, etc. Once you've located the function in iDrive, you merely put the focus (the red box) on that item and then press and hold a corresponding 1-8 shortcut button and its now there at your fingertips. Very cool to have a car that offers that level of customization.

BJ
BJ,

Great list. Are you referring to the "Route List" function in the navigation which I am not a big fan of or is there an actual way to get a complete list of directions?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacManVA View Post
BJ,

Great list. Are you referring to the "Route List" function in the navigation which I am not a big fan of or is there an actual way to get a complete list of directions?

Thanks!

I'm referring to the Route Information screen which gives turn-by-turn directions to the destination along with a map view of each as you scroll over them. It's the only list view of the route.

Very useful for destinations where there are multiple ways to go, as often the human knows the more common-sense route than the computer does. Living in the NYC area, I rely on this screen a lot because the traffic system will re-route me and I can tap one button to see if it's sending me through the Bronx or up the coast of Manhattan to get to the George Washington Bridge.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 12-20-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: 5
1. Call home.
2. Navigate Home
3. Howard.
4. Toggle Traffic View/Night View.
5. Ipod (waste I know)
6. WFAN
Old 12-20-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
BJ,

Thanks!
Voice command

"Route information"
Old 12-21-2012, 05:01 AM

Thanks

Thank you BJ and PT. I'm getting used to "Route Information" and of course I have it in the HUD,

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:

I'm referring to the Route Information screen which gives turn-by-turn directions to the destination along with a map view of each as you scroll over them. It's the only list view of the route.

Very useful for destinations where there are multiple ways to go, as often the human knows the more common-sense route than the computer does. Living in the NYC area, I rely on this screen a lot because the traffic system will re-route me and I can tap one button to see if it's sending me through the Bronx or up the coast of Manhattan to get to the George Washington Bridge.

BJ
I find that most navs (dedicated and apps) send me to the Cross Bronx when I am coming from CT heading south. Almost always a bad idea, and I've often wished I could see both the map and a turn by turn list.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeta View Post
I find that most navs (dedicated and apps) send me to the Cross Bronx when I am coming from CT heading south. Almost always a bad idea, and I've often wished I could see both the map and a turn by turn list.
I'm a big fan of 84 > 684 > 287, I don't deal with 95 or the GWB at all from Southern Connecticut.

At the very top of this Route Information screen is a click to see alternate routes suggested in descending view of travel time based on traffic conditions. Very useful.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 12-21-2012, 06:53 AM

Thanks

Thank you BJ and PT. I'm getting used to "Route Information" and of course I have it in the HUD,

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:

Happy Holidays!
How do you add it to the HUD?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
How do you add it to the HUD?
My bad. I meant I have the "arrow view" in the HUD.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I'm a big fan of 84 > 684 > 287, I don't deal with 95 or the GWB at all from Southern Connecticut.

At the very top of this Route Information screen is a click to see alternate routes suggested in descending view of travel time based on traffic conditions. Very useful.

BJ
That's a great route, but I have a mental block against starting a trip south by heading north (to 84) even though I know it might save time overall.

(Sorry for taking this topic off point.)
Old 12-21-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:

BJ
It will be a great day for humanity when the cross bronx is eliminated from GPS units.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
it will be a great day for humanity when the cross bronx is eliminated from gps units.
+1
Old 12-21-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
It will be a great day for humanity when the cross bronx is eliminated from GPS units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeta View Post
+1
You can thank Robert Moses for that.

Me, I want Patterson NJ to get off the GPS grid. Anyone who comes to visit us from the West or anytime my wife wants to head West we get routed through that gem.

BJ

Old 12-22-2012, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Quote:
Me, I want Patterson NJ to get off the GPS grid. Anyone who comes to visit us from the West or anytime my wife wants to head West we get routed through that gem.

BJ
Ventured there a few times myself. Not the most pleasant place to be... ever.. !

I am bookmarking this entire thread - super useful!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:28 AM
'12 6MT ZCP e92 M3

Mein Auto: '12 6MT ZCP e92 M3
Quote:

No F30 owner cares to see what E90 owners are doing with their presets as we don't socialize with the used car crowd.

BJ

I just ... I just can't ... really can't believe you actually said this. Can someone be so condescending to others?

1. You do not represent f30 owners
2. You should not take the liberty in speaking for others (because, consistently, you are wrong, even though you may occasionally have helpful tips)
3. You obviously are over-compensating for something
4. e90 owners have more experience with their cars and have had the opportunity to spend more time tweaking their presets. Dont'cha think they may have some clever tips for the rest of us? Well, we won't get to hear them, because you are being obnoxious!

Get over yourself dude! You're driving around in a used car too (whatever 'used' means anyway). It WAS new until you drove it.

Who cares if it's Used or New? (oh that's right, you do) They are all BMW's, and last time I checked, this was still a BMW enthusiast forum. Why don't you petition the Admins to get you a "Almost-New BMW Owners" thread, and tell us all about how awesome and luxurious your 328i is?

Jeez man ... can't believe I apologized to you for being too harsh in the past. Obviously you get reap what you sow.
e90
f30
e92 ///M

Last edited by shicobico; 12-23-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shicobico View Post
I just ... I just can't ... really can't believe you actually said this. Can someone be so condescending to others?

1. You do not represent f30 owners
2. You should not take the liberty in speaking for others (because, consistently, you are wrong, even though you may occasionally have helpful tips)
3. You obviously are over-compensating for something
4. e90 owners have more experience with their cars and have had the opportunity to spend more time tweaking their presets. Dont'cha think they may have some clever tips for the rest of us? Well, we won't get to hear them, because you are being obnoxious!

Get over yourself dude! You're driving around in a used car too (whatever 'used' means anyway). It WAS new until you drove it.

Who cares if it's Used or New? (oh that's right, you do) They are all BMW's, and last time I checked, this was still a BMW enthusiast forum. Why don't you petition the Admins to get you a "Almost-New BMW Owners" thread, and tell us all about how awesome and luxurious your 328i is?

Jeez man ... can't believe I apologized to you for being too harsh in the past. Obviously you get reap what you sow.
And most importantly, we have a straight six and hydraulic steering.

ETA and most importantly, we don't have an ipad jammed into the dash.

My lease is up in a year and I can't get past that. May have to keep my car, get an X5 or go elsewhere.

Last edited by pony_trekker; 12-23-2012 at 08:08 AM.