Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'06 Saab 9-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I'd say the loaded 328i.

If you get a stripper car, in two months you'll come back here, posting a thread and want to retrofit the PDC, heated seats, cameras, you name it. Every day there is a thread from someone who was too cheap to spend the $500-$1000 to get the option originally, and then they get all pissed when they find out it costs $2000-$6000 to retrofit that same option after-the-fact
My car is stripped by some standards and the only thing I miss are the Xenons. BMW's going back a long time always have lots of lighting alternatives that come up through the aftermarket for lighting.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@11-16lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, SOLD

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt AERO+ TUNED
Old 12-21-2012, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Again, I am not sure why the OP has such a limited choice.

The entire premise that his only choice is between a fully loaded 328 or a stripped down 335 is flawed. You can get a nicely equipped 335 for virtually the same price as a fully-loaded 328.

If his real choice is between buying a car already on the lot vs ordering a car that has to be built and shipped, then that's a different argument altogether.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
My car is stripped by some standards and the only thing I miss are the Xenons. BMW's going back a long time always have lots of lighting alternatives that come up through the aftermarket for lighting.
Yeah, but the aftermarket solutions never look as good, and are rarely as inexpensive as the original OEM option cost.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Go with the 335, you will not regret a faster car. N4S
Old 12-21-2012, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 5er, 3er
Thanks everyone for very insightful comments.

My 535 is already fully loaded all the gadgets. The nav system on 328i is an older model than F10, and not having extra options are not really a big deal. I can drive my other car if desired.

The dilemma is between picking one from dealer inventory with heavy discount or ordering one with just the options that I really want for my daily drive. It is not about saving every dime but rather not wasting extra moeny unnecessarily.

So far I hear that 328i isn't bad in terms of performance. So looks like 328i is a safe choice. For E90, I would pick 335 without any hesitation but F30 328 does have great punch and better mileage.

There is no manual in dealer stock with MSport so... so I will have to order and I was debating whether to couple it with 335. But 8AT seems to be very capable so not very easy to decide if I really want to wait 3 month for manual...
Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5335 View Post
My 535 is already fully loaded all the gadgets. The nav system on 328i is an older model than F10, and not having extra options are not really a big deal. I can drive my other car if desired.
So you already have a 2013 F10? Why are you getting a 3 series?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
to the OP, if you havent driven an N54 then find a used one and give it a good test drive. then drive an N55 and compare. Im not trying to sell you on the N54 being better, just that the excitement and visceral experience between the 2 has changed.

In my opinion, i just cant fall in love with the N55. I believe it is much more sophisticated and efficient than the N54 was, but for pure enjoyment, the twin turbo sppol up, engine growl and kick in the pants acceleration of the N54 is thrilling. Every N55 Ive driven (3er AT and manual, x3 sport auto, x5 and 5er) I just dont get the same feeling I got with the N54. It feels kind of dull to me on every platform. the power delivery is very smooth but it just didnt do it for me when comparing the 2 motors. In fact, when i went test driving for my m sport, I drove the 335 first then the 328 and I fell in love with the I4 right off the bat. With the 335, I was ready to get into another car to test drive.

Notwithstanding, the N55 is a phenomenal motor and the car is brilliant. You cant go wrong with either choice, but in the end, I would go with the m sport 328 as the looks alone will justify your purchase over a baseline, and all the extra options will only add to the experience. After driving my car for the last few months, ive realized that although BMW offers the lines and various options, for the optimal experience the car was designed to be driven with options. I constantly find myself thinking if I would like driving my car as much if i didnt have the extras, and my answer is always NO! cheers
Old 12-21-2012, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
328 easily
Old 12-21-2012, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
So you already have a 2013 F10? Why are you getting a 3 series?
Because he can?

I'd miss the tech more than the m/t. Immediate gratification versus waiting months is also a huge incentive. I can understand OP's dilemma...more 1st world problems.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i X
Get whichever one makes you smile the most after driving it.
1994 - Present Jeeps
Old 12-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
I was struggling with pretty much the same dilemma. But, as some others have said, the choice is not really so extreme. When you consider that the 335 comes standard with adaptive zenons, folding rear seat, the alarm system and moonroof, the real difference in price is about $3000.

For me, I dropped Cold weather package and added heated front seats. I dropped the Driver's Assistance package and added PDC and rear camera. I deleted Driver's Assistance Plus, and dropped Automatic High Beams. This made up about 2/3 of the real three thousand dollar difference between the two cars. For me, getting the 335 was easily worth giving up those few things and adding a thousand bucks. I've still got Tech Package, Premium Package, HK, Rear Camera/PDC, Heated Fronts, and more. That's a very nice compromise I believe. To trim a little more I considered cutting the Tech Package and adding the Nav, but just couldn't do it!

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 12-21-2012, 05:13 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
I was struggling with pretty much the same dilemma. But, as some others have said, the choice is not really so extreme. When you consider that the 335 comes standard with adaptive zenons, folding rear seat, the alarm system and moonroof, the real difference in price is about $3000.

For me, I dropped Cold weather package and added heated front seats. I dropped the Driver's Assistance package and added PDC and rear camera. I deleted Driver's Assistance Plus, and dropped Automatic High Beams. This made up about 2/3 of the real three thousand dollar difference between the two cars. For me, getting the 335 was easily worth giving up those few things and adding a thousand bucks. I've still got Tech Package, Premium Package, HK, Rear Camera/PDC, Heated Fronts, and more. That's a very nice compromise I believe. To trim a little more I considered cutting the Tech Package and adding the Nav, but just couldn't do it!

+1

The difference in price is negligible to someone into a car for $50,000. I think in the OP's case, he wants to avoid the 3 month wait (wouldn't we all) for the configuration he wants and the temptation to be in an F30 on Monday is too much to resist.

If it were me (and it was), I'd place my order, wait patiently, and bury myself in Bimmerfest counting down the days until the precise car I wanted arrived.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 12-21-2012, 05:25 PM

So how long is the wait from ordering to delivery nowadays?

When I ordered my e90, it was about 4 1/2 weeks.

3 months? Is that how long it takes now?
Old 12-21-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post

My timing:

Order Placed: June 25

Build Complete: July 7

Vehicle Shipped (Bremerhaven): July 20

Vehicle Arrived (Port of NJ): August 2

Vehicle Delivered (NJ): August 7

Six weeks from order placement, four weeks once built, two weeks on the water, less-than one week on the ground.

I got mine rather quickly, my allocation pushed through production fast back when demand was lower. My friend in California waited 14 weeks.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 12-21-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
My timing:

Order Placed: June 25

Build Complete: July 7

Vehicle Shipped (Bremerhaven): July 20

Vehicle Arrived (Port of NJ): August 2

Vehicle Delivered (NJ): August 7

Six weeks from order placement, four weeks once built, two weeks on the water, less-than one week on the ground.

I got mine rather quickly, my allocation pushed through production fast back when demand was lower. My friend in California waited 14 weeks.

BJ
Ok, I remember my e90 was delivered much quicker than average compared to other folks on the 'fest.

I can see why CA takes a lot longer. More difficult to ship to from Germany.

I guess folks on the East Coast have it very good when it comes to delivery; especially folks in NJ, PA, DE, MD, NY, & CT.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post

If your car is built in South Africa, yes.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:55 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2014 335i
Quote:
Hi folks,

I am planning get a 3er.

There is a fully loaded MSport 328i that I can get right now for the same price I can order a barebone MSport 335i that I will have to wait for months to arrive.

If I order, 335 will be manual. The loaded 328i has all options in the color I want but is 8AT. Also will order all season tires so that I can hit ski resorts a few times year without having to worry about tires. (Will use cables/chains - I hear performance tires wont survive even with chains..)

I have F10 535i and always have had I6 or V8 BMWs.

Testdrove F30 328i. 328i seems to have more than enough power but 335 has its own merit that 328 can't have.

The current ZF 8AT is so good but wonder if it is really good that I won't miss manual?

Any helpful insights from fest felllows would be very much appreciated!
As someone who recently purchased a 335 with the 8AT sport auto coming from a 6MT, I can assure you, that you will miss the 6MT. I thought I could get used to the auto, and I have to a point, but I still miss the manual terribly and would love to drop a 6MT in my car if it was financially feasible.

I cannot stress this enough. If you're coming from a manual, and want to keep driving manual, it HAS to be a NON-NEGOTIABLE option. You will always wish you did, if you don't.
2012 F30 335i Sedan - BSM, Sport Line, PP,Tech,HK,CW,DA2
2010 E90 M3 - JBM PP,TP,ES,CW,Beast

BMWCCA #471315
Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:

Testdrove F30 328i. 328i seems to have more than enough power but 335 has its own merit that 328 can't have.
You answered yourself and put the finger on the point.

The N20 is unfit for a BMW, whatever the power. It doesn't transmit you the same quality feel that you expect from a car in this class and that you definitely get in a 335i. The N20 belongs at best to a Jetta.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
You answered yourself and put the finger on the point.

The N20 is unfit for a BMW, whatever the power. It doesn't transmit you the same quality feel that you expect from a car in this class and that you definitely get in a 335i. The N20 belongs at best to a Jetta.
Please. Not taking the bait, thanks.

BJ

Old 12-22-2012, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I like the n55 engine for AWD applications. It'll pull the extra drivetrain mass more effectively.

In RWD there are good reasons for both cars. If you put fuel economy and handling feel above power, the n20 is your engine
And even in economy factors, you're really only looking at 2-3mpg difference. The 335 can easily get 25+ city and 33+ hwy.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post

I did almost exactly the same thing! My config now is:

335i sport line
6MT
premium package
front heated seats
tech package
HK

I dropped all other stuff like the cameras and CC that I never use and don't see myself using anyway. I was initially going without the tech package to save money but the more research I did and the more I read about it on the forums here I figured going without it was just wrong..
Old 12-22-2012, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
I did almost exactly the same thing! My config now is:

335i sport line
6MT
premium package
front heated seats
tech package
HK

I dropped all other stuff like the cameras and CC that I never use and don't see myself using anyway. I was initially going without the tech package to save money but the more research I did and the more I read about it on the forums here I figured going without it was just wrong..
Great spec! I do think the rear camera is very nice to have though.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Great spec! I do think the rear camera is very nice to have though.
Agreed. We've got a rear camera in the Mustang. After having it, I don't think I want another car without one. Personally, I'd give up the HUD for the rear camera.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 12-22-2012, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
I considered a loaded 328i vs a less-than-loaded 335i...

After driving the 328i I decided it was more than fast enough, and I liked the better gas mileage... and of course all the packages on the 328i are awesome.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus View Post
I considered a loaded 328i vs a less-than-loaded 335i...

After driving the 328i I decided it was more than fast enough, and I liked the better gas mileage... and of course all the packages on the 328i are awesome.
Actually, it's really remarkable that the 335 practically gets the same gas mileage as the 328, but has 2 additional cylinders, 45 lbs more max torque, and 60 more HP.