Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-13-2012, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: E53
Help! Water leak rear left side

Hi All, new poster and was wondering if anyone has had my problem.

I have pretty much ruled out a door vapor seal problem

A week ago after a few days of rain noticed the rear right side passenger floor was wet.

I poured a bottle of water this afternoon and pretty much ruled out a door vapor seal problem and I think my problem is from my door/door seals

It just rained so I went to check on my car and the pictures are attached from what I found

The seal on the body of the car is wet between the white lines, its not wet on the other side of the car and there are a few drops of water on my seat.

What is causing this problem? The seals on the body or door? any ideas would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bm.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	353130   Click image for larger version

Name:	bm2.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	353131   Click image for larger version

Name:	bm3.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	353132  

Last edited by kash_BMW; 12-13-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kash_BMW View Post
Hi All, new poster and was wondering if anyone has had my problem.

I have pretty much ruled out a door vapor seal problem

A week ago after a few days of rain noticed the rear right side passenger floor was wet.

I poured a bottle of water this afternoon and pretty much ruled out a door vapor seal problem and I think my problem is from my door/door seals

It just rained so I went to check on my car and the pictures are attached from what I found

The seal on the body of the car is wet between the white lines, its not wet on the other side of the car and there are a few drops of water on my seat.

What is causing this problem? The seals on the body or door? any ideas would be appreciated
How did you rule out the vapor seal? Did you pull the cover and inspect it?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:05 AM

I poured water and it drained properly, and the water on the seat leads me to believe its dripping from another area
Old 12-14-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I poured water and it drained properly, and the water on the seat leads me to believe its dripping from another area
I would recommend removing the inside door panel and inspecting the barrier along with how well it's sealing around the edge. I had a water leaking problem too and it ended up being the moisture barrier. There was a small tear which I assume resulted from previous work (I suspect window regulator replacement). I sealed the barrier and ensured the seal around the barrier was good and the issue disappeared.

The door panel is not difficult to remove and took me at most 30 minutes...and that was because I was reading an DIY on how to remove it. Most any DIY on replacing the window regulators will include instructions for removing the trim panel.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:36 AM

you were right. it was the vapor seal. My mechanic who only deals with BMW's did not believe it he claimed that its just for sounds proofing. He just heated it up and said we'll put silicone later after the rainy season, I'm just gonna DIY and get the required stuff from the states next week
Old 12-22-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
you were right. it was the vapor seal. My mechanic who only deals with BMW's did not believe it he claimed that its just for sounds proofing. He just heated it up and said we'll put silicone later after the rainy season, I'm just gonna DIY and get the required stuff from the states next week
Glad to hear you found the problem. Even better is it's an easy fix