Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:06 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
M HUD Project

Let's discuss how to enable M-HUD on non M5 vehicles.

It seems it was done on the E60, even though early E60 threads people said they traced it to the DME, and the problem was there was no way to load the M5 DME on the E60.

Clearly the M5 was using an SMG transmission vs an Automatic, although both were 6 speed.

With the F10 we have different transmissions, and different number of gears.

So far I have enabled the M-HUD option in the HUD Display Options but I can't check it. I have also added digital tachometer to the Control Menu Info options, but also can't check it.

QUESTION: DOES ANYONE HAVE ACCESS TO THE METHODOLOGY USED TO ENABLE M_HUD on the E60?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Ads by Google
Old 06-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550i
@Stealth.Pilot,

Can you please point for me where the "HUD_VARIANTE" setting is located? Thanks.

Edit:

Actually I find a "M_VARIANTE" but not a "HUD_VARIANTE"

Also I find a "MDRIVE" But not a "M_DRIVE"

Can you please correct as necessary or point me to the correct place?

JEG23

Last edited by JEG23; 06-04-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:34 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEG23 View Post
@Stealth.Pilot,

Can you please point for me where the "HUD_VARIANTE" setting is located? Thanks.

Edit:

Actually I find a "M_VARIANTE" but not a "HUD_VARIANTE"

Also I find a "MDRIVE" But not a "M_DRIVE"

Can you please correct as necessary or point me to the correct place?

JEG23
It is possible I was quoting wrong based on memory. Unfortunately I can't find those fields right now since I am travelling. What may be a good thing to do is assemble a list on this thread of all M Drive, M HUD or M Sport related settings. Once we have that we can try to figure out what they all mean...

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 06-05-2012, 02:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30 328i
I'm actually looking into this on my F30 and I found an option called "HUD_M" which is set originally to nicht_aktiv, it is in a part where the system gets to hear whether or not it has certain options or hardware, the description for this option is: "This describes whether the car has a M-Headup Display (M3/M5/M6).", now I'm wondering what you guys think of this one.. it kinda looks as if it is a different HUD than the ones standard in our cars.. if so, coding it might be a bit difficult. I haven't tested it out yet, too late for doing that now, but will do soon to see what it does if I enable this function
Old 06-05-2012, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: Future: F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
I'm actually looking into this on my F30 and I found an option called "HUD_M" which is set originally to nicht_aktiv, it is in a part where the system gets to hear whether or not it has certain options or hardware, the description for this option is: "This describes whether the car has a M-Headup Display (M3/M5/M6).", now I'm wondering what you guys think of this one.. it kinda looks as if it is a different HUD than the ones standard in our cars.. if so, coding it might be a bit difficult. I haven't tested it out yet, too late for doing that now, but will do soon to see what it does if I enable this function
Svache ,
This was the last parameter I looked in to when I gave up M HUD ... Good that you and Jeg23 are working in this hope you folks will crack this
Old 06-05-2012, 04:21 AM

Thanks to JEG23 (He is one of our very active memeber but he is always behind the screen) we have list of parameters whihc we think has some relation to our M HUD.

I have tried some of these settings when iinitially worked on HUD thing.
i have added my observation

CAF [HU_CICHB]

3000 HMI, 78

M_DIGITAL_TACHO_EINH (NA)-- added no difference
HUD_ACTIVATION (NA)-------Acts like switch HUD on/off (Redundant)
M_KEY_SETTINGS (NA)
M_DIGITAL_TACHO (NA)---added no diiference
MDRIVE_CONFIG (2_menu)
MDRIVE (NA)
HUD_M (NA)--added no difference
MDRIVE_RUEKO (NA)----Any body know what is the meaning of Rueko?

CAF [KOMBI L6 BO]

3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration, 2C

M_DRIVE_BLINKFREQUENZ (wert 01)
M_DIGI_TACHO_EINHEIT (pia)

3003 FZG_Ausstattung, 06

M_VARIANTE (ag_variante)

3008 PIA_Einheiten, 08

KI_PIA_ANALOG_RW_KVA (Act)
KI_PIA_M_SPORT_DIGI_TACHO (NA)
HUD_PIA_M_SPORT (inact)
KI_PIA_MVERBRAUCH (NA)

and all PIA pertains to including this parameters in your profile export...
Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 PM

I was playing a bit with these functions on my F30 last night and I noticed that when I turned the digital tacho on (in my iDrive settings menu), it would remove my digital fuel consumption meter thingie (dunno what you call it, it's located below the tachometer on the enhanced instrument cluster.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: 520d f10
I think that is also described in th "Cheat".
Old 06-06-2012, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5
I'm honestly not sure this is possible. A friend of mine sent me some in-car footage he took for me of the M5 in Germany. (I'm moving there, and naturally, I've ordered one.)

The layout of the instrument cluster's lower third is completely different. It has a larger gear indicator, the M-Drive settings, and more. The part numbers are different.

The cluster feeds the HUD. If the cluster doesn't have the software, it won't be able to drive the HUD. The software versions in our cars are probably old, so even if it did exist, it may not be possible to activate it.

I don't want to discourage anybody, but I think this might be a stumbling block. The E60 was a different beast.

Last edited by wdimagineer; 06-07-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:38 AM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I'm honestly not sure this is possible. A friend of mine sent me some in-car footage he took for me of the M5 in Germany. (I'm moving there, and naturally, I've ordered one.)

The layout of the instrument cluster's lower third is completely different. It has a larger gear indicator, the M-Drive settings, and more. The part numbers are different.

The cluster feeds the HUD. If the cluster doesn't have the software, it won't be able to drive the HUD. The software versions in our cars are probably old, so even if it did exist, it may not be possible to activate it.

I don't want to discourage anybody, but I think this might be a stumbling block. The E60 was a different beast.
Actually the cluster is different but the lower half extended black panel is the same physical display. The cluster is a dumb device, the software is in the car not the cluster.

Also the same observations can be made with the E60.

2014 ///M5 Individual

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 06-07-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post

Thats what i thought and gave up on it...

But the video posted by stealth says other wise.

Cn some body tell if it is just RPM that get displayed as part of M HUD?
Old 06-07-2012, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: .
M HUD on the E60 was a breeze...that was a smart HUD, not like the the new pretty but dumb HUD in the F series.

All you had to do was activate some M-Drive parameters in CCC and in HUD and you had the option of showing the M Tach. The only problem we had with activating the MDrive functions is the top function button on the steering wheel stopped working as the car assumed that was where the M button was.

I've retrofitted HUD on E60's 5 times and was really surprised the first time I coded an F10 with HUD that it is basically a display with no real brain of its own, it is fed almost completely from the KOMBI. In E60, you could activate things like HUD blinkers by coding the HUD directly.

EDIT: The exact parameters -

M view on HUD E60

CAPPL:

MDrive
aktiv
HUD_M
aktiv

HUD:

M_SPORT_HUD
aktiv

Last edited by Tuesday; 06-07-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:45 AM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by itschase View Post
M HUD on the E60 was a breeze...that was a smart HUD, not like the the new pretty but dumb HUD in the F series.

All you had to do was activate some M-Drive parameters in CCC and in HUD and you had the option of showing the M Tach. The only problem we had with activating the MDrive functions is the top function button on the steering wheel stopped working as the car assumed that was where the M button was.

I've retrofitted HUD on E60's 5 times and was really surprised the first time I coded an F10 with HUD that it is basically a display with no real brain of its own, it is fed almost completely from the KOMBI. In E60, you could activate things like HUD blinkers by coding the HUD directly.

M view on HUD E60

CAPPL:

MDrive
aktiv
HUD_M
aktiv

HUD:

M_SPORT_HUD
aktiv
So you activated M Mode using the button on the steering wheel?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 06-07-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
So you activated M Mode using the button on the steering wheel?
No if i understood him correctly he activated the M Mode through coding...which we also have in our F10.
But the system stoped responding to one the button on of the steerig assuming it as a M Mode button... So we either loose the Mode control or the Cruise control

That gives me a good lead... Too bad i dont have my car with me now!

Last edited by DreamCar; 06-07-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itschase View Post

M view on HUD E60

CAPPL:

MDrive
aktiv
HUD_M
aktiv

HUD:

M_SPORT_HUD
aktiv

Thanks Chase, I think we have all these parameters in Kombi.. May we should dig little deeper...
Old 06-07-2012, 06:37 PM

Since SLI is not going anywhere...... checked on M HUD for a change... No luck but this is what i see for now...

Sorry Iphone Video !

Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
No if i understood him correctly he activated the M Mode through coding...which we also have in our F10.
But the system stoped responding to one the button on of the steerig assuming it as a M Mode button... So we either loose the Mode control or the Cruise control

That gives me a good lead... Too bad i dont have my car with me now!
I'd be comfortable losing either of those buttons.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 06-07-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I'd be comfortable losing either of those buttons.
Enabled every thing ....we have the UI as shown in above video but we are missing the back end! not sure where the back end is? Kombi doesnt have anything else for M HUD
Old 06-08-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
Enabled every thing ....we have the UI as shown in above video but we are missing the back end! not sure where the back end is? Kombi doesnt have anything else for M HUD
I'm at the same page. I have everything you showed in your video, but nothing really works. Like with you it looks like something is missing..
Old 06-08-2012, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
I'm at the same page. I have everything you showed in your video, but nothing really works. Like with you it looks like something is missing..
Yeah we are missing teh system which responds to the input.. we just have empty UI there is no system which can store/respond to our UI clicks
Old 07-02-2012, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: X5 5.0
I also tried pretty much all available

Any way into tricking the car computer into "believe" your ordinary F12 650 (my case) is a M6? Perhaps that opens options lacking for this and other M codes to work...
Or maybe there's a VO code that would enable the M HUD? Someone with a M5 would be able to tell us whats in their config... Even better, someone with close relations with BMW, perhaps in south Carolina...

Update
Changed the production code to a m6, the FA cites the engine now as S63tu (I wish), nothing different in practice. Will drive the car and let you guys now if an extra 160 hp appears (ha ha).
Perhaps additional parameters may allow some of the M functions

Last edited by john mclane; 07-03-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 650i xdrive
I just tried it on my 650i F13 aswell.

I can get the HUD Options to appear, however the HUD seems to wait for me pressing the "M" button in Order to activate the M Hud.

Is there any way to remap one of the existing buttons to do that?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorijan View Post
I just tried it on my 650i F13 aswell.

I can get the HUD Options to appear, however the HUD seems to wait for me pressing the "M" button in Order to activate the M Hud.

Is there any way to remap one of the existing buttons to do that?

I have the same impression. If we could turn on the M button functions on idrive, would solve it but that particular command is not redundant.
Perhaps a memory command on coding, similar to what we use to make the car "remember" to the AC settings or A.S.S. to turn on M mode everytime...

If an M5 or M6 owner shows up in the forum, their code options could be copied, although it would be a LOT of work...
Old 12-22-2012, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: Everglades 243
Any updates?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Surf View Post
Any updates?
The only way to get M-HUD is to have the M Instrument Cluster. End of story.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips