Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: E87
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddie35 View Post
Hi

On the way home this evening a red warning light "steering wheel with a pad lock on the top left corner" came on, after parking at home I got the manual out and found that this is an Electric steering-wheel lock fault and now the car will not start.
Does anyone have any ideas or will I need to be tow to the BMW dealer?
Regards
don,t worry, buddy! I´ve got same issue, but ignored it anyway. Not neccessary to replace column. I´ve heard of a simple trick, if the fault remains: After dismounting the steering cover, apply kind of spray grease on the mechanical parts of the steering lock, thats the way saving PST 500, I guess!!
Cheers Jochen
Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i 2007 328i
Did you ever try that ?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:09 AM

Smile

No, I didn´t! Just ignore the error mess!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 118
It seems to be a common problem that may require a new steering column to fix completely. Get your car to the dealer if you've got warranty as soon as possible. If you're lucky they will just have to reset the electronic steering lock. However, if it goes again and again that may require a new steering column.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:18 AM

Hi BMdude816,

If you want to pay for nuts, you can go to a BMW dealer. Or you buy the LuPeDi (Google) interface and install the Ediabas Inpa pack, trying to reset the steering SW (will try myself lateron).
Both parts work together if fine you´re following the numerous instructions on the WWW or on Bimmerfest!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 M3 ZCP; '06 530 XIT
I don't think the car will let you start the engine if your steering wheel is locking. It is the 1st step for the car to verify a legit start.

I got the problem the other day and had to tow the car using wheelies, the car couldn't even go from P to N.

I am sweating now since I am not sure how much dealer will charge me on Monday since they are off today - Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffii View Post
So many people has complained about the same problem... isn't it very curious, the car is not called back by garage for replacement!?

They knows there's a problem with the steering column, yet they choose to avoid the subject and ignor the problem until the owner has no choice but to pay and replace column. This could be a maufacturing fault, meaning the fault already existed WHEN we bought the car.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E90
Steering lock yellow warning, dealer name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
Occasionally I used to get those "steering locked" yellow warnings (see picture) in my 2006 325i when trying to start the car, usually after the car was parked with a tight right turn into the parking spot (hence the wheels were still turned to the right). The previous owner had the car repaired over two years ago for (defect code 3232052900) "Electric steering column adjustment ELV sticking/jammed".
I took the car to the dealer today and they reprogrammed the car. Being a software engineer I'm a little suspicious, as a software upgrade can be a way to mask "we don't know what the problem is".
Here is what the dealer invoice said: "48389 Software related did not verify condition as stated. Fault survey performed W/ISTA tester. Confirmed CAS faults (A112): CAS- ELV Fault & Fault (A116): CAS-critical status, both W/numerous fault occurrence. Performed related test plan given. Test plan recommended vehicle programming (DIAGCODE: D6100_CAS00000_90_215). Complete vehicle programming/encoding performed. Initialization of all power windows performed".
(No cost - still under warranty).
May I know the name of the dealer and the service manager 's name?

Bchuong58
Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330
My wife's 2006 330 column locked up in our garage with a ELV fault this weekend. Had it towed to local shop, $1013 for new column installed and $125 for recommended software update. Should be done by end of the day. Indy and tow truck driver both stated they've seen quite a few of these, dealer stated the opposite.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E90
BMW is not straight on this problem.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi coupe
Smile BMW is Recalling Cars for the steering lock problem-

http://news.cincinnati.com/usatoday/article/1924627

DETROIT (AP) - BMW is recalling almost 570,000 cars in the U.S. and Canada because a battery cable connector can fail and cause the engines to stall.

The recall affects the popular 3-Series sedans, wagons, convertibles and coupes from the 2007 through 2011 model years. Also included are 1-Series coupes and convertibles from 2008 through 2012, and the Z4 sports car from 2009 through 2011.

The cable connectors and a fuse box terminal in the cars can degrade over time, and that can break the electrical connection between the trunk-mounted battery and the fuse box at the front. If that happens, the cars could lose electrical power, causing the engines to stall unexpectedly, the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in documents posted on its website Saturday.

The company says in documents sent to the NHTSA that the problem stems from movement between the battery cable and the fuse box.

BMW says it knows of one minor collision in Canada due to the problem, but no injuries.

The German automaker says dealers will replace the battery cable connector and secure it for free. It will start notifying owners in March.

The 3-Series is BMW's most popular car in the U.S., dominating the small luxury car market. The company sold nearly 100,000 of them in the U.S. last year.

The recall affects more than 504,000 cars in the U.S. and another 65,000 in Canada.

BMW, Toyota and other automakers have experienced large recalls in recent years because they use common parts on multiple models in order to save money.

Owners can call BMW with questions at (800) 525-7417.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 325msport auto
Just for info I have had the red steering lock fault on my 2007 325 coupe. Last year I had the alarm up and continued to drive it without problem for about 4 months until I had the alarm reset by a friend at BMW dealership. He said that if the alarm comes up again I will have to get a new steering column. About 2 months later the alarm came back and I continued to drive it for about a month until one day the steering lock wouldn't release and I couldn't put it into neutral or start the engine. I have had the steering column replaced which which has released the steering lock but I need to replace the c.a.s unit as this is still showing the fault and preventing the car from starting! I've paid £600 so far (bmw wanted over £1000) and will have to pay for the c.a.s unit once it has been installed. I will register my complaint on the website mentioned earlier in in this thread. Don't know whether to get shut now? Just hope the girlfriends 1 series doesn't do the same!!