Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-23-2012, 10:03 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,262
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Tpm?

I am getting a TPM error even after resets. All pressures are correct. I assume I have a bad sensor. How do you tell what wheels are working and how do you test these transmitters?
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 12-24-2012, 12:32 AM
rebel.ranter rebel.ranter is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cork, Ireland
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 447
Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
That's strange, I thought all e63 had the RPA system? This system does not have its own sensors but relies on measurements from each wheel speed sensor from the ABS system. It can determine a change in rolling radius from this & therefore flag this change as a drop in tyre pressure.
During the calibration stage it takes measurements at different speeds, as the diameter will be different as the speed of the car changes. That is why you see the system message "initialising" when you first reset it iDrive.
Have you reset it since you fitted your new M6 wheels? It's under "i" -> "Vehicle Settings" -> "RPA". You must do this after any change in tyre or top up of tyre pressure.

(Tyre = tire)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-24-2012, 03:45 AM
Mulchman's Avatar
Mulchman Mulchman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Valley Forge, PA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 527
Mein Auto: '07 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
I am getting a TPM error even after resets. All pressures are correct. I assume I have a bad sensor. How do you tell what wheels are working and how do you test these transmitters?
Roseng -You have a DIS/NCS setup don't you? Connect to DIS and see if you're getting any faults in the system. RRanter is pretty knowledgable with the PC stuff maybe he can point you in the right direction. I'm going into the office for a little while this a.m., but I'll plug into mine when I get home.
__________________
'07 650i Coupe - Black Sapphire Metallic
M6 bumpers, skirts & wheels
BMW M Cross Spoke Composite 101 Rims 20"
HUD, Comfort Access

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-24-2012, 06:50 AM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,262
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman View Post
Roseng -You have a DIS/NCS setup don't you? Connect to DIS and see if you're getting any faults in the system. RRanter is pretty knowledgable with the PC stuff maybe he can point you in the right direction. I'm going into the office for a little while this a.m., but I'll plug into mine when I get home.
Good thought. I'll give it a shot and see if I can tell anything.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-24-2012, 06:52 AM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,262
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
That's strange, I thought all e63 had the RPA system? This system does not have its own sensors but relies on measurements from each wheel speed sensor from the ABS system. It can determine a change in rolling radius from this & therefore flag this change as a drop in tyre pressure.
During the calibration stage it takes measurements at different speeds, as the diameter will be different as the speed of the car changes. That is why you see the system message "initialising" when you first reset it iDrive.
Have you reset it since you fitted your new M6 wheels? It's under "i" -> "Vehicle Settings" -> "RPA". You must do this after any change in tyre or top up of tyre pressure.

(Tyre = tire)
Thanks but no, it's a TPM system with sensor in each wheel valve. At least on the '07 I have. Maybe late models are different.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-24-2012, 07:09 AM
645/333's Avatar
645/333 645/333 is offline
Michael
Location: uk
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,160
Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
+1 on checking codes first before looking at each sensor, if my understanding is correct this is built into the wheel and given you bought these wheels after they were chromed you may have duff sensor???? It is not uncommon !!!
__________________

Does my bum look good in this !
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-24-2012, 09:39 AM
coug60's Avatar
coug60 coug60 is offline
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg
Location: Nothern California - Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 927
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
On the TPM system doesn't it give you psi for each tire? On my 7 series it did. You should just be able to look at the affected tire in the system. If you aren't maybe the TPM receiver is bad...
__________________

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-24-2012, 10:19 AM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,262
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
+1 on checking codes first before looking at each sensor, if my understanding is correct this is built into the wheel and given you bought these wheels after they were chromed you may have duff sensor???? It is not uncommon !!!
No, these are not built into the wheels. They are separate sensors that mount in the wheels. Here is the detail on the parts, #1 and 2.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-24-2012, 05:02 PM
HerbP HerbP is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,501
Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Did this happen after you changed your wheels?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-24-2012, 05:13 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,262
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Did this happen after you changed your wheels?
Yes. They mounted the old TPM transmitters on my new wheels. Seemed ok for a few miles. My plan is to go back Thursday and have them pull them all and do an inspection.

It's not showing low pressure it says TPM error. When I do a reset it takes a very long time and then the error message comes up.

Once about a year ago, I had a low tire and the TMP told me there was low pressure, but did not show any specific tire, just an error. After I filled to proper PSI and all was good.

I thought they may have put them in the wrong wheels, but Looks like its the same part # for all 4 wheels.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-24-2012, 06:01 PM
HerbP HerbP is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,501
Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
It sounds like your tire diameter might be out of tolerance from the factory size tire, causing a problem with the speed sensor. I think there is only a 3% difference allowed, without causing a problem. If this is the problem, you could have someone remove this module from the system. This will not fix the problem, but remove the error messages.

What size tires & wheels are you now running?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-24-2012, 07:54 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,262
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
It sounds like your tire diameter might be out of tolerance from the factory size tire, causing a problem with the speed sensor. I think there is only a 3% difference allowed, without causing a problem. If this is the problem, you could have someone remove this module from the system. This will not fix the problem, but remove the error messages.

What size tires & wheels are you now running?
Herb, thanks for the response, and they are good thoughts.

It's not the speed sensor but the TPM (tire pressure monitor) system.

Same sensors, same tires, new wheels same but size.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-24-2012, 08:25 PM
tampamark tampamark is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: tampa fl
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,721
Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Sounds like you had one fail. Pretty common since they are battery powered, if you google "BMW TPMS battery" you will see all the folks who have discussed trying to change the battery. You have to replace the entire sensor. They are rated for up to 7 years but many have gone in the 4 to 5 year range. As someone stated, if you get a low pressure warning, it tells you which tire. But when the TPMS is not functioning you just get an error that does not specify a tire. Just saw that error when I had a spare on last week. Next time you get a low pressure warning look closely at the diagram of the car on the Idrive screen, my Wife pointed out to me that the wheel that is low shows up in a different color (orange or red?). I never noticed that in previous instances.

The tire shop should be able to use a handheld Tire Pressure Sensor interrogator, you walk it around to each tire and it reads out the wireless transmitter data. They are kinda pricey to buy yourself, and to be honest why would anyone bother to buy that device. The shop has to unmount/remount/balance the tire to get to it so it isn't a DIY repair.

The only other issue is that the TPMS control unit could crap out, I don't think that is common at all though. Only saw one instance in what I have read.

Last edited by tampamark; 12-24-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,262
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Sounds like you had one fail. Pretty common since they are battery powered, if you google "BMW TPMS battery" you will see all the folks who have discussed trying to change the battery. You have to replace the entire sensor. They are rated for up to 7 years but many have gone in the 4 to 5 year range. As someone stated, if you get a low pressure warning, it tells you which tire. But when the TPMS is not functioning you just get an error that does not specify a tire. Just saw that error when I had a spare on last week. Next time you get a low pressure warning look closely at the diagram of the car on the Idrive screen, my Wife pointed out to me that the wheel that is low shows up in a different color (orange or red?). I never noticed that in previous instances.

The tire shop should be able to use a handheld Tire Pressure Sensor interrogator, you walk it around to each tire and it reads out the wireless transmitter data. They are kinda pricey to buy yourself, and to be honest why would anyone bother to buy that device. The shop has to unmount/remount/balance the tire to get to it so it isn't a DIY repair.

The only other issue is that the TPMS control unit could crap out, I don't think that is common at all though. Only saw one instance in what I have read.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. Makes sense that a shop could read each sensor and tell. I'll give that a shot.

Happy Holidays.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 PM
tampamark tampamark is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: tampa fl
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,721
Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Same to you and your family Gary! Happy Holidays. I will go with the pimp since he is kinda Christmas colored...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-25-2012, 08:43 AM
colink colink is offline
Registered User
Location: Oklahoma
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
Wink

"Same sensors, same tires, new wheels same but size."

Freudian slip or a Christmas Bangle?

I hope you get a resolution for Christmas Roseng.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-25-2012, 10:08 AM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,262
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by colink View Post
"Same sensors, same tires, new wheels same but size."

Freudian slip or a Christmas Bangle?

I hope you get a resolution for Christmas Roseng.
Oops, too much egg nog!
It is the same size wheels.

Thanks for the XMAS wishes, not sure how I can unwrap it though
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-25-2012, 11:04 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,262
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by colink View Post
"Same sensors, same tires, new wheels same but size."

Freudian slip or a Christmas Bangle?

I hope you get a resolution for Christmas Roseng.
Well Colink,
Your wishes may have worked. Kind of bizarre but I ran out to the store today and on the way there no change and same errors. When I came back suddenly and for no apparent reason, all was ok and no errors.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White

Last edited by roseng; 12-26-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-26-2012, 06:16 AM
colink colink is offline
Registered User
Location: Oklahoma
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
I wish, I wish for a new M6 for everyone on the list!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-26-2012, 06:57 AM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,262
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by colink View Post
I wish, I wish for a new M6 for everyone on the list!
Now I'm going to have to come to Oklahoma and buy you a beer.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:21 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,262
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
Well Colink,
Your wishes may have worked. Kind of bizarre but I ran out to the store today and on the way there no change and same errors. When I came back suddenly and for no apparent reason, all was ok and no errors.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Well not surprising, it's back I have an appt. with my local shop next week. He thinks it may be one of the sensors.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms