Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-03-2012, 09:05 PM
dB

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M5
Unhappy Turbo Noise / Rough Idle / Engine Dies

My 2011 535i has started having a few issues, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any of this:

1) Turbo used to be a lot more quiet, you can now hear the turbo spool up very loudly, no matter if the windows are closed / open. You can here it throughout acceleration and during gear changes. Is this normal? Anyone else seeing this? I'm barely at 12,000 miles, it started at around 11,000 (that or I never noticed).

2) Engine has "died" in sharp turns, the RPM is usually sitting at 500 - 600, and then just dies. Dealer has said there has been no codes, so there's nothing they can do about it. I have a 6-speed MT, and it was always on neutral when this happens. It has happened four times now.

3) The car shakes a lot during idle, and when turned off it's pretty rough. Whole car shakes, a few test cars I've driver have never done this.. It's just very rough.

4) There is a slight rattle at low speeds, seems to be coming from passenger side. Almost always happen during low (1000 - 2000) RPMs on 1 - 4th gear.

Am I just over-reacting? Has anyone else seen / experienced these issues? Any advice?

Last edited by dliang; 12-03-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
NO, you are not over-reacting. Something is wrong. By the sounds of it (literally) something is loose. You're hearing the turbo more, the car won't idle right and something is rattling. Although I do have a bit of a rattle here and there.

Sounds like a loose wastegate, if I had to guess. These cars return wasted boost to the intake tract, yes? If so, the increased noise and the rough running would make sense.

Bring it to the dealer and insist they fix it. Bring it to another dealer if necessary.

BTW, why are you in neutral while going through a sharp turn?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 AM
dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
NO, you are not over-reacting. Something is wrong. By the sounds of it (literally) something is loose. You're hearing the turbo more, the car won't idle right and something is rattling. Although I do have a bit of a rattle here and there.

Sounds like a loose wastegate, if I had to guess. These cars return wasted boost to the intake tract, yes? If so, the increased noise and the rough running would make sense.

Bring it to the dealer and insist they fix it. Bring it to another dealer if necessary.

BTW, why are you in neutral while going through a sharp turn?
Thanks, probably just a bad habit..
Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
Do as Needsdecaf says. My 2011 535xi now has 24K+ on it and no abnormal sounds of any kind. Even with driving the Tail of the Dragon in it's first five hundred miles and the Back of the Dragon last week. BTW: the Back is much more challenging than the Tail.

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old 12-24-2012, 01:38 PM
dB

Just an update.. Brought it to another dealer and they confirmed it was likely a wastegate issue, I'm not sure what they did though.. I traded it in.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Well I guess that fixes it for good.
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 12-24-2012, 04:03 PM
dB

Haha yeah, loving my new car.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
nice fix under warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dliang View Post
Just an update.. Brought it to another dealer and they confirmed it was likely a wastegate issue, I'm not sure what they did though.. I traded it in.
enjoy your m5
Old 12-27-2012, 11:00 AM
dB

Thanks, they didn't care that there was an issue - since it was still under warranty - got pretty much KBB for it in "good" condition.