Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 12-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 328is, 2001 750is
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
we're right between the 4.6" and 4.8" - the morning present opening is over to the left a little between 4.6 and 4.5" numbers... I guess we'll have to wait and see what the final snow inches are - but I think I'm not far off with my 3-6" prediction from earlier... Telluride is being predicted 7.1" - that's not bad...
Your weather forecasters must be pretty good to predict to the tenth of an inch! We're a bit more....sporadic, I suppose, since our valleys are only supposed to get 2"-4". So the 4.6"-4.8" made me laugh a bit

Anyways, it's snowing outside, and it looks beautiful. Each flake is both small and light enough that you can't single it out against the others, which translates into plenty of powder for non-poetics. It does help to make Christmas more meaningful, doesn't it?

Speaking more on topic, most of our resorts received 3-6" in the last 24 hours, and all are getting snow now. I sure hope they get pounded to make up for last year though!
Old 12-24-2012, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: A car
oh they're typical weather forecasters - and they're every bit as (in)accurate as yours in Utah - but the point is they're predicting in EXACTLY the same range as I predicted by looking out the window an hour before... they get paid tons and have doppler radar ... I have... half a clue and some experience of living here.... I'm no expert in weather - my grandad on my father's side was ... he worked on the land his entire life and between a rock covered in moss, some pine-cones and knowing which way the wind was blowing, he could give a REALLY accurate 72 hour forecast... to the point that I NEVER knew him to be wrong... he wasn't alone - all his age group were like that... but when I was 10, he was mid-70's - he's seen a LOT of weather... but he did teach me a few things about what to watch etc.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 12-24-2012, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeo3000 View Post
Haha. Let me know how it is. Last year we had such a blast, we wanted to do it again this year. Stupid Sundance.
Snowbird and Powder Mountin seem to have had a good dumping recently. Which one would you recommend for snowboarding? The websites say they both require 4wd vehicles to get there! That may be a problem.

Last edited by awesomeo3000; 12-24-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 328is, 2001 750is
Quote:
oh they're typical weather forecasters - and they're every bit as (in)accurate as yours in Utah - but the point is they're predicting in EXACTLY the same range as I predicted by looking out the window an hour before... they get paid tons and have doppler radar ... I have... half a clue and some experience of living here.... I'm no expert in weather - my grandad on my father's side was ... he worked on the land his entire life and between a rock covered in moss, some pine-cones and knowing which way the wind was blowing, he could give a REALLY accurate 72 hour forecast... to the point that I NEVER knew him to be wrong... he wasn't alone - all his age group were like that... but when I was 10, he was mid-70's - he's seen a LOT of weather... but he did teach me a few things about what to watch etc.
That's my kind of guy! I love it. Makes me wish I had someone to teach me stuff like that, both of my grandpas died when I was younger. I'm sure some of the tricks he taught you work well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeo3000 View Post
Snowbird and Powder Mountin seem to have had a good dumping recently. Which one would you recommend for snowboarding? The websites say they both require 4wd vehicles to get there! That may be a problem.
Powder is, as I recall, a much bigger resort than Snowbird, but Snowbird is always in the top 1-5 spots of resorts in North America. And the Bird usually gets more snow. If you stay in SLC, snowbird is roughly 20 minutes away, while Powder is about 45 min away. For most people, it's really a no brainer going to snowbird since they get dumped on and have wonderful runs. But I rather like how powder is out of the way and never crowded, and has beautiful terrain. If you've never been to either, I'd say go to the Bird, but both are great on powder days.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Well, looks like I'll be going to Jackson Hole this year! Pretty excited about it. Never been to Wyoming, but hear the Hole is pretty good (and thanks to whoever reminded me of it in a previous post here). And they've already had 190" this season, which is way more than any of the places in Utah or Colorado!

BTW, if somebody doesn't know, VRBO.com or vacationrentals.com have much better deals for housing than any possible hotel or resort package may provide.

For those who've been to Jackson Hole, are there places in town that offer discounted lift tickets or snowboard rentals?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 AM

Does anybody have recommendations for good android apps to track your stats while on the mountain? Would be cool if it was a social app so I can track my friends on the mountain too.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: A car
lol - ever heard of relaxing while unplugged?

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
lol - ever heard of relaxing while unplugged?
being unplugged is overrated