Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-09-2012, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
bluetooth music info out of sync

I recently took delivery of my 535i f10. I was really looking forward to playing musing through my phone (lumia 920). It works fine except for the fact that most of the time, the music info for the song playing on the phone is not what shows on my idrive screen. every now and then it is correct but most of the time it is wrong.

I've tried rebooting the phone but that hasn't helped. my guess is the phone sends the next song info then quickly selects a different song. i don't see what would cause as both phone and idrive are not set to random.

has any experienced the same issue? any workaround?

any help is apreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 12-21-2012, 10:56 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Military BMW
Mein Auto: 2013 535i xDrive M Sport
Lumia 920 Concerns

I have noticed the same thing with my Red Nokia Lumia 920. I have only used music via Xbox Music under my Xbox Music Pass. It will display the initial artist and song that you have up, but when you manually change songs or go to another selection off the iDrive and then go back to the multimedia, the title is not updated.

I have not yet tried it when downloading music onto my phone. Have you done this already? If so, does it still not update the display information even after you played only downloaded content on your phone?

When I was in Germany, I had a WP7.5 and when I paired it with the BMW loaner that Pentagon Car Sales let me drive, I was having the same issues as well when playing music via my Zune Music Pass. I don't recall it not updating when I played downloaded content from the phone's storage itself. I could be wrong though.

Do you know if the Lumia 920 will eventually receive more capabilities in the future rather than the "voice" and "music" features that we're limited to in the meantime? Messages, calendar, and tasks would be great to see in the display, but the Lumia 920 has yet to have those features.

As far as the music goes, I think you're good to go though with everything that the F10 offers: the ability to add music to the internal 12GB hard drive in the car, a USB plug for external music, bluetooth from your phone, SIRIUS Radio, and a CD player. If you have all of that combined while you're on the road available to you at an iDrive length away, I think that's pretty sick. You're a driver and a DJ at the same time. Amazing. Let me know if you hear anything else on the Lumia 920
Old 12-22-2012, 06:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
It's just lag from the buggy BMW bluetooth implementation. It does the same on my Galaxy S3.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:21 AM

Buggy Bluetooth?

Well, the music pass is just streamed music off of the internet. You don't think the Bluetooth isn't supposed to pick up on streamed music and only music that's actually on the device? I think that's the real issue. That's just an opinion though. I have no idea what the problem is on the technical side. If you have the facts, then I would love to know. I've pretty much accepted the fact this is not going to get fixed and that whenever I play streamed music, it won't be displayed on the screen.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:55 AM

i have found other references to this issue on a microsoft support forum. it seems to be related to Bluetooth 4 implementation in WP8 phones. HTC 8x has the same issue with Ford Sync cars and Audi MMI. I was hoping last update wouldve fixed it but it didn't. hopefully it will be addressed soon.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Military BMW View Post
Do you know if the Lumia 920 will eventually receive more capabilities in the future rather than the "voice" and "music" features that we're limited to in the meantime? Messages, calendar, and tasks would be great to see in the display, but the Lumia 920 has yet to have those features.

As far as the music goes, I think you're good to go though with everything that the F10 offers: the ability to add music to the internal 12GB hard drive in the car, a USB plug for external music, bluetooth from your phone, SIRIUS Radio, and a CD player. If you have all of that combined while you're on the road available to you at an iDrive length away, I think that's pretty sick. You're a driver and a DJ at the same time. Amazing. Let me know if you hear anything else on the Lumia 920
I wouldn't hold my breath on those features coming to WP phones for at least another year. It's not clear from whose side (Microsoft or BMW) the extra effort would have to come.

though we do have many options for music on this car, bluetooth streaming is for me the best as it allows me to listen/respond to text messages with speech while i drive.

Last edited by ihaveABimmer; 12-23-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 12-23-2012, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Military BMW View Post
Well, the music pass is just streamed music off of the internet. You don't think the Bluetooth isn't supposed to pick up on streamed music and only music that's actually on the device?
This is the same with Android. I don't get metatag info sent over BT if I use Pandora/iHeartRadio/Spotify, but if I use the built-in player, it works perfectly.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:04 AM

[removed duplicate post]

Last edited by ihaveABimmer; 12-23-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: duplicated
Old 12-23-2012, 12:36 PM

Please send me the link to that MS page

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveABimmer View Post
i have found other references to this issue on a microsoft support forum. it seems to be related to Bluetooth 4 implementation in WP8 phones. HTC 8x has the same issue with Ford Sync cars and Audi MMI. I was hoping last update wouldve fixed it but it didn't. hopefully it will be addressed soon.
Can you send me that link? I've been looking through that stuff as well, but the 200-some replies to bluetooth issues in windowsphone forum is time consuming. Thank you.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:30 AM

can't find the exact same page where the more specific song info issue was discussed but here's a link to another thread where similar Lumia 920 BT issues are discussed:

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Noki...s/td-p/1602486
Old 12-25-2012, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d x drive
I am not sure this has anything to do with the subject at hand, but I do find on occasion that the song list in the instrument panel display gets out of synch with what is actually playing and what shows up on the nav screen. It is usually off by one song. It does not happen often and appears random, but is nothing more than slightly annoying...and this is a 2011 535 with the iPhone 4s in the cradle as a music source.

Merry Christmas to you all...
2014 535d xdrive ED 4/28/14 Glacier silver, Ivory Interior-Soft Close Doors, Ash wood, Harmon Kardon, Cold Package, Driver Assistant and Driver Assistant Plus, Luxury Line, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package

Old 12-25-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art234 View Post
I am not sure this has anything to do with the subject at hand, but I do find on occasion that the song list in the instrument panel display gets out of synch with what is actually playing and what shows up on the nav screen. It is usually off by one song. It does not happen often and appears random, but is nothing more than slightly annoying...and this is a 2011 535 with the iPhone 4s in the cradle as a music source.

Merry Christmas to you all...
This is basically what I was trying to explain in my initial post on this thread. Interesting though that you're having this similar issue on your iPhone 4S. I wonder if it's not an isolated thing with just WP8.

FU73, 300, LCDF, ZCW, ZDA, ZLS, ZMP, ZPP, ZTP, 223, 2TB, 323, 416, 4B5, 4U1, 5AC, 677

Old 12-26-2012, 07:21 AM

ok. I think I've figured out why (or rather) what scenario triggers this behaviour.

anytime there are songs from more than 1 album in a playlist, somehow the same song info is used for all the songs who share the same position (or index) in their respective album.

for example, in a Michael Jackson playlist containing songs from Thriller and Bad, when the phone says it's playing Billie Jean, the car will say Billie Jean. but when the phone plays "another part of me", the car will say Billie Jean because in their respective album, both songs are at the number 6 position. otherwise when all songs are from the same album, song info is in sync across phone and car.

I cant be sure that's a true correlation but that's what I've observed with limited insight into either device.

am not sure why it sometimes says unknown album and track, I wonder if it's because there's no track index info.

a good test for someone with a different phone or earlier version of Windows phone is to check if there's track number display on the idrive when streaming from those phones.

let me know if anyone's observed something that's contrary to my findings.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Stuart in Houston

Send a message via AIM to astrohip
Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveABimmer View Post
ok. I think I've figured out why (or rather) what scenario triggers this behaviour.

anytime there are songs from more than 1 album in a playlist, somehow the same song info is used for all the songs who share the same position (or index) in their respective album.
Interesting findings. And it may tie into something I've noticed.

I started a thread about Album Art and where it comes from. One thing I noticed, but hadn't posted yet, when you use Browse/Search to limit the track selection (for example, Artist: xxx), the album art goes crazy. It shows a cover that is totally unrelated to the current track. I haven't had time to drill down and find out what & why, but your post may give me some clues.

I should point out that this is from folder full of mixed tracks, on a USB drive, not a folder of a single artist/CD or a phone. So while YMMV, your discovery has given me some clues.

Thanks for your research!

Prior BMWs
2009 X5 4.8 White (w/hitch)
2007 550i Monaco Blue, Sport
2004 X5 4.4i
2003 540i M-Sport w/Dinan mods (last of the great E39's)
2002 X5 3.0
2000 540i Sport
1995 525i Sport
1991 325is
1986 325es
Old 12-26-2012, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550ix
So my Galaxy S3 should stream bluetooth audio? I take delivery of my 13 550ix tomorrow..... I am trading my 09 535i and it did not have bt audio that i ever found.... thx

Retired:
2013 550ix
2009 535i
2007 335i
Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcustom View Post
So my Galaxy S3 should stream bluetooth audio? I take delivery of my 13 550ix tomorrow..... I am trading my 09 535i and it did not have bt audio that i ever found.... thx
Yes. Nice ride and congratulations.

FU73, 300, LCDF, ZCW, ZDA, ZLS, ZMP, ZPP, ZTP, 223, 2TB, 323, 416, 4B5, 4U1, 5AC, 677

Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Stuart in Houston

Send a message via AIM to astrohip
Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcustom View Post
My S3 streams without issues, via bluetooth.

Good luck and enjoy!

Prior BMWs
2009 X5 4.8 White (w/hitch)
2007 550i Monaco Blue, Sport
2004 X5 4.4i
2003 540i M-Sport w/Dinan mods (last of the great E39's)
2002 X5 3.0
2000 540i Sport
1995 525i Sport
1991 325is
1986 325es
Old 02-04-2013, 05:04 PM

Great news (unless i'm speaking too soon).

It definitely looks like the latest update (UPD05004) has resolved the issue where song info over Bluetooth from my lumia 920 was not displaying properly in the car. after installing this update, the problem has gone away.