Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #226  
Old 12-26-2012, 08:59 AM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,301
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
FYI went great on my 2011 535i (build date 7/2010). Just stuck it in the glovebox USB and it started within 10-15 seconds.

Total time was about 45-50 minutes in the car (note: "copying to car" is the whole thing; I was afraid it would also have to expand once copied).

Other notes:
1. I was afraid to shut off the car, so I kept it running in my garage. I did however shut it off and back on during the load, but it continued.
>> I would not recommend walking away from the car with only ignition on/car not running since it might automatically shut down after 15-20 minutes (this was a software update to the car after mine and other early/mid builds burned out batteries when dealers/valets accidentally left cars on).
2. When I opened the door during the "enter code" screen, it automatically cancelled. So I had to start over before it started.
3. AFTER the load, my screen looked a lot more blurry (the grey/traffic screen got a lot better, btw). Turns out that "perspective during 3D" got more realistic, which = blurry). If you don't like it, turn off perspective during 3D.
4. It all seemed a lot slower at first, but got faster after turning car off/locking and then returning.
5. Initially the navigation version screen was completely blank, but similar to #4, it fixed itself.
6. I used a $15 Sandisk Cruzer Glide 32GB USB stick.


Er...I hope your Garage Door was open...
__________________

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 12-26-2012, 09:36 AM
GroveTuckey GroveTuckey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 820
Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
Shawn, your source tells me the code he sent will work for 2012 and if I get the 2013 working it will just work. Not sure how true that is but I am going to enter the code that he sent for the 2013 maps and see if it works for 2012.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 12-26-2012, 09:57 AM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,301
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroveTuckey View Post
Shawn, your source tells me the code he sent will work for 2012 and if I get the 2013 working it will just work. Not sure how true that is but I am going to enter the code that he sent for the 2013 maps and see if it works for 2012.
Hmm...something is not right I don't think. MAP update codes are specific to the MAP year.

For example, for a single VIN for CIC North America, I just generated the following Map Update Codes:

2012:
3VHZVP4I5ABKOABNAACA
2013:
VIFBSSQGZHIMUABNAACQ
2014:
6QQ5DVQ3IHQ3QABNAADA

As you can see, all 3 years are different.

Maybe what he meant is that if you get 2013 working he will just send you that code for free.
__________________

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 AM
GroveTuckey GroveTuckey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 820
Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Hmm...something is not right I don't think. MAP update codes are specific to the MAP year.

For example, for a single VIN for CIC North America, I just generated the following Map Update Codes:

2012:
3VHZVP4I5ABKOABNAACA
2013:
VIFBSSQGZHIMUABNAACQ
2014:
6QQ5DVQ3IHQ3QABNAADA

As you can see, all 3 years are different.

Maybe what he meant is that if you get 2013 working he will just send you that code for free.
I will just try it and see. I did not think it sounded right either.

I did ask for the 2013 maps when I ordered though.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:30 AM
GroveTuckey GroveTuckey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 820
Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
This was his what he told me

"This code have Integration 2012!
You can update to 2012 with this code and if in the future have the 2013 dvd you dont need typing the Code"

That was from his email.
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,301
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroveTuckey View Post
This was his what he told me

"This code have Integration 2012!
You can update to 2012 with this code and if in the future have the 2013 dvd you dont need typing the Code"

That was from his email.
Well, that is interesting as 1) I have yet to see a 2013 CIC DVD set, and 2) I have never seen where an update from one year to a newer year uses the same FSC code.

I'll touch base with him and see what he is talking about.
__________________

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 AM
GroveTuckey GroveTuckey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 820
Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
It took it.

See the screenshot attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1356547742.686377.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	354716  
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:51 AM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,301
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroveTuckey View Post
It took it.

See the screenshot attached.
Yes, but is that from the 2012 DVD's I sent you, or for 2013 DVD's he had?
__________________

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 AM
GroveTuckey GroveTuckey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 820
Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Yes, but is that from the 2012 DVD's I sent you, or for 2013 DVD's he had?
Those are from the DVD's I got from you.

He is not in the us so I would not use the EU ones. Unless you sent me the wrong ones

I did not download anything from him.
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 12-26-2012, 11:04 AM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,301
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroveTuckey View Post
Those are from the DVD's I got from you.

He is not in the us so I would not use the EU ones. Unless you sent me the wrong ones

I did not download anything from him.
I know that, but just because he is in Europe doesn't mean he has only Europe Maps. Most of the people who sell FSC Codes have a full compliment of maps at their disposal.

As I said, I will find out what he meant by upgrading from 2012 to 2013 via DVD and using the same code from 2012.
__________________

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 AM
GroveTuckey GroveTuckey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 820
Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I know that, but just because he is in Europe doesn't mean he has only Europe Maps. Most of the people who sell FSC Codes have a full compliment of maps at their disposal.

As I said, I will find out what he meant by upgrading from 2012 to 2013 via DVD and using the same code from 2012.
Thanks Shawn,

He did not offer any downloads to me. Everything I got was from you.

I was really expecting the 2013 code not to work with the 2012 maps to be honest. Once I get the 2012 loaded I will try the 2013 maps to see if getting the newest version helps to recognize the 2013 data.

Again thanks for your time Shawn.
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 PM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,301
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroveTuckey View Post
Thanks Shawn,

He did not offer any downloads to me. Everything I got was from you.

I was really expecting the 2013 code not to work with the 2012 maps to be honest. Once I get the 2012 loaded I will try the 2013 maps to see if getting the newest version helps to recognize the 2013 data.

Again thanks for your time Shawn.
The code you got from him though, was it for 2012 or 2013?
__________________

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 12-26-2012, 12:04 PM
GroveTuckey GroveTuckey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 820
Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
The code you got from him though, was it for 2012 or 2013?
I asked for a 2013 code.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 12-26-2012, 12:06 PM
GroveTuckey GroveTuckey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 820
Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
This is a email back from him

"No a have make it for 2013"
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 12-26-2012, 12:13 PM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,301
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroveTuckey View Post
This is a email back from him

"No a have make it for 2013"
Hmm..and that is what you used and is working on the 2012 DVD's. Very strange.
__________________

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Reply With Quote
  #241  
Old 12-26-2012, 12:16 PM
GroveTuckey GroveTuckey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 820
Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Hmm..and that is what you used and is working on the 2012 DVD's. Very strange.
I agree with you 100%. Even if this will not work with the 2013 maps I at least have a newer map set loaded.
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 12-26-2012, 01:36 PM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,301
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroveTuckey View Post
I agree with you 100%. Even if this will not work with the 2013 maps I at least have a newer map set loaded.
Ok. I spoke with him and I just learned something here that I was not aware of. Apparently the map codes are backwards compatible, in that they can be used for any Map Year equal to or before the year for which it is generated. So for example, if he generated a 2015 Map Code, it would allow for a CIC System Map update using 2013, 2014, and 2015 Maps. Then if the 2016 Maps were used, it would then prompt you for a new FSC Code. Of course under that scenario, the Map FSC Code would be sold for $150 instead of $50 since it is good for 3 years.

So, your 2013 FSC Code is good for any older version, plus 2013 if you can ever get it working.
__________________

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 12-26-2012, 01:46 PM
GroveTuckey GroveTuckey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 820
Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Ok. I spoke with him and I just learned something here that I was not aware of. Apparently the map codes are backwards compatible, in that they can be used for any Map Year equal to or before the year for which it is generated. So for example, if he generated a 2015 Map Code, it would allow for a CIC System Map update using 2013, 2014, and 2015 Maps. Then if the 2016 Maps were used, it would then prompt you for a new FSC Code. Of course under that scenario, the Map FSC Code would be sold for $150 instead of $50 since it is good for 3 years.

So, your 2013 FSC Code is good for any older version, plus 2013 if you can ever get it working.
Well that explains it!

I put my USB in and still no go in reading it.

If it still does not work after my meet tomorrow I will just hold out until......... Well I don't know.

Thanks again Shawn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1356558314.822609.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	354726  
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 12-26-2012, 02:14 PM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,301
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroveTuckey View Post
Well that explains it!

I put my USB in and still no go in reading it.

If it still does not work after my meet tomorrow I will just hold out until......... Well I don't know.

Thanks again Shawn.
Ok. What would be interesting to me at this point is if your car was programed by the dealer with ISTA/P 2.48.2 and brought up to to the current Integration Level, hence flashing new firmware on your CIC, would it work afterwards.

If you ever get the car programed, try the USB Update again, and let me know what happens.
__________________

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 12-26-2012, 02:25 PM
GroveTuckey GroveTuckey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 820
Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Ok. What would be interesting to me at this point is if your car was programed by the dealer with ISTA/P 2.48.2 and brought up to to the current Integration Level, hence flashing new firmware on your CIC, would it work afterwards.

If you ever get the car programed, try the USB Update again, and let me know what happens.
I think I am on a mission now. I will let you know what make the 2013 maps install via USB.
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 12-26-2012, 02:33 PM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,301
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroveTuckey View Post
I think I am on a mission now. I will let you know what make the 2013 maps install via USB.
Good. I am dying to know.
__________________

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 12-26-2012, 02:42 PM
MWPos MWPos is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 444
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Shawn,
I have a 2011 535i with 2011 maps...please PM with data on how to proceed with this nav update process.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 12-26-2012, 02:48 PM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,301
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos View Post
Shawn,
I have a 2011 535i with 2011 maps...please PM with data on how to proceed with this nav update process.
Thank you!
PM sent.
__________________

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 12-26-2012, 03:06 PM
lindros2 lindros2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The Ghetto Hood
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: BMW
For those who have the 2012 maps - were they as "blurry" (anti-aliased) in 3D/Perspective view?

My 2010 maps were not, but then again, perspective didn't do much.

It's almost headache-inducing on the 2013 maps.
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 12-26-2012, 04:12 PM
GroveTuckey GroveTuckey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 820
Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
For those who have the 2012 maps - were they as "blurry" (anti-aliased) in 3D/Perspective view?

My 2010 maps were not, but then again, perspective didn't do much.

It's almost headache-inducing on the 2013 maps.
I just installed the 2012 maps and can look to see how bad the 3D maps are. I don't think I used that at all before the upgrade.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms