Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-26-2012, 08:15 AM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
I'm guessing that 90% of the 2013's ordered by members here (and a similar percentage of other "orderers") are for M-sport versions. Also, if you look through Autotrader etc for 2013 models currently for sale, around 70% are M-sports which means dealers are ordering them as well. Basically, for inventory it's either base 528 or M-sport 535/550's out there. There is no question the M-sport front and blacked out trim/headliner better steering wheel, etc are worth the cost but we are still not sure if there are actually different springs now. Regardless, since there is no more "sport" option at all most people are getting M-sports now.

EDIT: .....also BMW has whored out the "M" logo all over these things to an embarrassing point, I think they learned that from their MBZ friends. "IS THAT AN M5?" NO "WHY DOES IT HAVE M LOGOS EVERYWHERE?" I Don't KNOW
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 12-26-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
I would be weary of getting the first model year of any car especially if you are going to keep it. If you want exclusivity, the 4 series coupe when released should get you that... For a year or two at least.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: German
F10 LCI and facelifted E class are around the corner.

OP, if you want rarity, Audi S6? Jag XF just got an AWD variant and it's pretty rare. I'm just not sold on their poor quality, reliability, service.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 12-26-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 AM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Now what I hear what you want is exclusivity and there's two ways to achieve that: 1) spend a lot of money, or 2) get something quirky - like a Saab 9-5. Number 2 is easy, but then you are stuck driving a Saab.
There are a couple cars of similar stature which are far less common, such as the Jag XF and Audi A6. The latter, in particular, looks strikingly different when slightly lowered vs the stilted stock AWD look. It is much rarer than an F10 M-sport or W211 AMG Appearance package.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
K-A, if you want an unique car, forget the F10, Msport or no Msport, they are everywhere. Maybe consider waiting for the LCI F10 or if you can swing it, go for the 6 gran coupe. The GC is one of the most unique BMW around, you can see that thing coming a mile away. I saw a white GC on the road a month ago, it simply just stood out from the rest of the cars on the road.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah, the 6 GC would be ideal. I think those things are so technically overpriced, the used market will crush them on resale, which I'm already seeing cracks of. I'd love to wait another few months or so on one of those as the "newness novelty" wears off and go from there, though have to consider a few things like time, etc.

Too bad finally by the time I'm getting around to indulging in the tick I've had since the F10 came out (which is that I can't deny just how perfect that car is for me, the styling and design is very my-speed), the M Sports are gonna be so damn common. Again, I don't mind having a "common car", hey, if it's a great car and I'm not spending upwards of $100+K, then "commonality" doesn't signify such a bad thing (means the car is a true winner), but the W212's boredom-of-all-AMG-packages-everywhere just taught me that, like it or not, I need a car that has a variable availability and presence on the roads....

Though, again something to consider is when you're used to the W212 where EVERYONE has the exact same AMG Sport Package, I guess the F10 even in its newest era of "accessible M Packs" is a big improvement. Though the question is, where does the availability of it go from here.

IMO even the M5's presence will be diluted out as it doesn't look all that different from the M Sport. Though some M5 drivers I know will like the added ubiquity factor.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535ix, 2007 530xiT
Here is a thought: if you want an uncommon car, why not just chose an uncommon color? say tasman green on the F10....i love the color and you see very few around...
Old 12-26-2012, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah, the 6 GC would be ideal. I think those things are so technically overpriced, the used market will crush them on resale, which I'm already seeing cracks of. I'd love to wait another few months or so on one of those as the "newness novelty" wears off and go from there, though have to consider a few things like time, etc.

Too bad finally by the time I'm getting around to indulging in the tick I've had since the F10 came out (which is that I can't deny just how perfect that car is for me, the styling and design is very my-speed), the M Sports are gonna be so damn common. Again, I don't mind having a "common car", hey, if it's a great car and I'm not spending upwards of $100+K, then "commonality" doesn't signify such a bad thing (means the car is a true winner), but the W212's boredom-of-all-AMG-packages-everywhere just taught me that, like it or not, I need a car that has a variable availability and presence on the roads....

Though, again something to consider is when you're used to the W212 where EVERYONE has the exact same AMG Sport Package, I guess the F10 even in its newest era of "accessible M Packs" is a big improvement. Though the question is, where does the availability of it go from here.

IMO even the M5's presence will be diluted out as it doesn't look all that different from the M Sport. Though some M5 drivers I know will like the added ubiquity factor.
I remember threads where you knocked the F10 saying its too soft and bubbly or something to that effect. Are you sure you want the f10?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
I remember threads where you knocked the F10 saying its too soft and bubbly or something to that effect. Are you sure you want the f10?
I've always really loved the F10 but yeah when discussing it VS the E Class I'd look fore some flaws in it. I think with M Sport it adds a sharper presence. My biggest issue with the design is the front. IMO it lacks some of the arresting quality's of the E's front being so flat and kind of upright, though with a black grille I find it really can have some presence. However the F10 has one of the nicest rears out their IMO.

I went to a dealer today and looked at one. The interior really shames the E's big time, as does the tech and engineering. However the Dakota leather doesn't feel any more high quality than my MB Tex. Overall the 535 really does come off as a much more expensive and coddling and dynamic car than the E.. As it should since it literally costs more than even my loaded E.

The 6 series next to it was really tugging at the strings though. However the 5 is such a balanced design of both slick sportiness and stateliness combined.

On another note. 95% of the 2013 F10's there were NOT M Sports. Seems all the 528 mass models still are sans Sport.
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I've always really loved the F10 but yeah when discussing it VS the E Class I'd look fore some flaws in it. I think with M Sport it adds a sharper presence. My biggest issue with the design is the front. IMO it lacks some of the arresting quality's of the E's front being so flat and kind of upright, though with a black grille I find it really can have some presence. However the F10 has one of the nicest rears out their IMO.

I went to a dealer today and looked at one. The interior really shames the E's big time, as does the tech and engineering. However the Dakota leather doesn't feel any more high quality than my MB Tex. Overall the 535 really does come off as a much more expensive and coddling and dynamic car than the E.. As it should since it literally costs more than even my loaded E.

The 6 series next to it was really tugging at the strings though. However the 5 is such a balanced design of both slick sportiness and stateliness combined.

On another note. 95% of the 2013 F10's there were NOT M Sports. Seems all the 528 mass models still are sans Sport.

True most 528s are non msport; however, the heavy lease volume car will be the 535. The dakota leather is definitely better than my MB-tex... feels more pliable and softer. MB-tex is nice but still rubbery
Old 12-26-2012, 09:41 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
The 6 series next to it was really tugging at the strings though.
The 6er tugged at me too.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 12-27-2012, 01:40 AM
Cray

Quote:
The 6er tugged at me too.
Lol. Yep, the 6er exactly as you have it equipped is pretty much the ideal automobile right now. Between that and a 991 911 I don't really need to look elsewhere (in an ideal situation). Only issue with the 6er is kiiind of tight headroom for me at 6'4+. I'd hate to spend that kind of dough and not be able to comfortably fit in the car. I can roll the backrest back quite a bit and be pretty comfortable, but if I sit upright, my head rubs against that nice alcantara above, and if in an unfortunate situation where the car would get rammed on the side occurs, my head could ram hard against the edge of the roof (where it dips downward).

At my height, a blessing and curse is not being able to comfortably fit in the "Coupe spin-offs" of the E and 5 Series type of cars (blessing because it forces me to save money for the same technical product, and curse because it forces me to settle for the lesser expensive version of the same technical model ).

I got a quote for $2K drive off and just over $670 a month including tax on 39 months/10K a month on a 2013 535i which MSRP's at around $63K. Is that a good deal? Called some other salesman and they claimed they couldn't touch it.

To also add another observation: It's a REAL bummer that this car doesn't come with paddles unless you have the "Sport Auto" option? Seems little to no cars on the lots have that option. I always thought paddles were gimmicks until I learned how handy they can come in even everyday situations. Hard to go from a car with paddle shifters to one without them.
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 12-27-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:

I got a quote for $2K drive off and just over $670 a month including tax on 39 months/10K a month on a 2013 535i which MSRP's at around $63K. Is that a good deal? Called some other salesman and they claimed they couldn't touch it.
That is not enough information. Need to know invoice price (bmwconfig.com) MF, aq fee, etc. before anyone can comment on level of deal.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:35 AM
Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
That is not enough information. Need to know invoice price (bmwconfig.com) MF, aq fee, etc. before anyone can comment on level of deal.
Hmm, don't know any of that but I'll try and find out.

All I know is the car's MSRP is about $62.9, it's a 535i with M Sport, etc., it's using the Holiday Discount and about $5K in dealer contribution to bring the price down a little over $5K on the car, and I don't qualify for the BMW retention bonus or App bonus stuff.

I gave them a low offer and they came back with $2K drive off and $678 a month. I checked a few other dealers and none seemed to be able to match that deal. Though I've searched online and seen others get a bit better.

I'm not fully serious on the car, again, so I haven't dove into it much.. yet.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:45 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
First, in CA, you need to call Greg Poland for a lease deal.

Second, trust me when I say you want the Sport Auto, not just for the paddles. It's much snappier and more fluid than the standard auto.

Third, if the 5 is what you want, then get it. There are enough cosmetic mods you can do to make it "yours". It's spendy, but some of those options make it really nice.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-27-2012, 06:50 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Lol. Yep, the 6er exactly as you have it equipped is pretty much the ideal automobile right now. Between that and a 991 911 I don't really need to look elsewhere (in an ideal situation). Only issue with the 6er is kiiind of tight headroom for me at 6'4+. I'd hate to spend that kind of dough and not be able to comfortably fit in the car. I can roll the backrest back quite a bit and be pretty comfortable, but if I sit upright, my head rubs against that nice alcantara above, and if in an unfortunate situation where the car would get rammed on the side occurs, my head could ram hard against the edge of the roof (where it dips downward).

At my height, a blessing and curse is not being able to comfortably fit in the "Coupe spin-offs" of the E and 5 Series type of cars (blessing because it forces me to save money for the same technical product, and curse because it forces me to settle for the lesser expensive version of the same technical model ).

Although is would appear the 6er is the same technical product as the 5er, there are some less than obvious differences, such a the use of aluminum instead of steel in the front & rear sub-frames that are behind the additional cost. Too bad about the headroom though, I would have thought the 6er would have supported up to 6'4", but when you look at the percentage of the population that are 6'4" of taller, I bet it is a pretty small number, so BMW may have written you off.

Quote:

All I know is the car's MSRP is about $62.9, it's a 535i with M Sport, etc., it's using the Holiday Discount and about $5K in dealer contribution to bring the price down a little over $5K on the car, and I don't qualify for the BMW retention bonus or App bonus stuff.

I gave them a low offer and they came back with $2K drive off and $678 a month. I checked a few other dealers and none seemed to be able to match that deal. Though I've searched online and seen others get a bit better.

Major assumptions: No trade-in. Sales tax at 6% and rolled into the lease payment. Registration/doc fees at $300. Acquistion fee at $725. US MSRP at 62,895. US Invoice at $58,030k. Training Fee at $180 included in the Invoice. 39mo residual at 0.58. MF at 0.000125. Security Deposit at $0. Plugging in all of those numbers, I get a sales price of $380 below Invoice. To get to your monthly payment AND using my assumptions, the dealer contribution works out to be $5,250.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:

Well come January when you are fully serious and all these good deals vanish you may be kicking yourself. You need to find a dealer that will do the 24 month deal. Again spend some time on the Ask-a-dealer forum. Everything you are asking is on there. No the 679 for 39 months is not a good deal.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

What would be a good deal for a 39mo lease?

Old 12-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Cray

Quote:
What would be a good deal for a 39mo lease?
I'd like to know this as well.

Kar Don: I checked on that 24 month Lease by calling about every Dealer near me, and nobody has any cars left at that deal. Total bummer.

Well I guess I have 3 days to see if I can find an enticing enough deal to push me.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
In my experience, sometimes when you rush to get a car to get in on a last minute deal, you may end up regretting the lack of options/features on that car. Even though it's a lease, you'll be stuck with it for 3 years. K-A, you mentioned the F10s in your local dealers don't have SAT w/paddle shifters and you want the shifters. At this point, you will be stuck with getting whatever inventory is left at dealer lots in order to get in on any year end deals. Since the 24 special lease is not available at your local dealers and you are in no rush to get an F10, you might just wait a bit. In this economy, car manufacturers will find ways to attract buyers. Who knows, there may be a New Year Deal coming in January, aka New Years Resolutions get into a new BMW. My point is to make sure you are happy with the features/options with that car. Otherwise, you may want to get rid of the car before the lease is up and wipe out any deals you got on it.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 12-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decboy View Post
In my experience, sometimes when you rush to get a car to get in on a last minute deal, you may end up regretting the lack of options/features on that car. Even though it's a lease, you'll be stuck with it for 3 years. K-A, you mentioned the F10s in your local dealers don't have SAT w/paddle shifters and you want the shifters. At this point, you will be stuck with getting whatever inventory is left at dealer lots in order to get in on any year end deals. Since the 24 special lease is not available at your local dealers and you are in no rush to get an F10, you might just wait a bit. In this economy, car manufacturers will find ways to attract buyers. Who knows, there may be a New Year Deal coming in January, aka New Years Resolutions get into a new BMW. My point is to make sure you are happy with the features/options with that car. Otherwise, you may want to get rid of the car before the lease is up and wipe out any deals you got on it.
I agree. If the price and equipment is right, then I'm pretty good on it. If not, then I'll just keep thinking of what my "perfect car" is. Might be the F10? Might not be, for now I'll let "price" be my fate.

The equipment the car I sat in yesterday was more than enough for me.... just can't do without the paddles. Sitting in a well equipped F10 feels like a spaceship coming out of a well equipped E-Class.... save for a few areas where the M-B pulls ahead. That says a lot.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
It's a REAL bummer that this car doesn't come with paddles unless you have the "Sport Auto" option? Seems little to no cars on the lots have that option. I always thought paddles were gimmicks until I learned how handy they can come in even everyday situations. Hard to go from a car with paddle shifters to one without them.
I had paddle shifters on my last car, play with it a few times and that was it. Its definitely not a must have.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:35 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
If not, then I'll just keep thinking of what my "perfect car" is. Might be the F10? Might not be, for now I'll let "price" be my fate.
Perfect car? Hehe! Let me know when you find one.

I feel like the F10 is darn well near perfect. Perhaps it would have been if 4 zone climate control was an available option when I ordered (and my request for special consideration was refused).

-Corey
Old 12-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Cray

I'm realizing just how good a deal I got on my P2/AMG Wheel Pack E-Class as I surf for 5-Series deals. Funny, I assumed that "if I get a 5-Series I won't technically be moving up, I'll be moving sideways, though not to say it's not into a possibly vastly superior product".... however, considering how much M-B is literally giving away the W212 via insanely aggressive incentives.... it sure does FISCALLY FEEL like getting into a 535i should be moving up a notch.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
I think the 5 series looks better than the e-class in every way. There is something about e-class' interior that leaves me wanting for more. Screen is too small and those seats are no match for 5 series. I love the m-package in 5 series. The only thing I am not too crazy about is the headlights - that curve/bump on the top has to go.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaX5 View Post
I think the 5 series looks better than the e-class in every way. There is something about e-class' interior that leaves me wanting for more. Screen is too small and those seats are no match for 5 series. I love the m-package in 5 series. The only thing I am not too crazy about is the headlights - that curve/bump on the top has to go.
Yeah. Exterior wise I think both have their merits. I hated the W212 when it first came out, thought it was the ugliest thing ever, then the quirks got warm to me and I found beauty in it. The F10 I always acknowledged it was beautiful from the first second I saw it. I think the F10 i a design I'll find beautiful practically forever (timeless) while the E I went from super cold to super hot, and still like it but the effect has diminished quite a bit. I really blame MBUSA whoring out the AMG Package a lot and making sights of W212's very boring as they all look literally the same.

The interior of the 5-Series feels infinitely more expensive than the E, though, try as I might I could never truly deny that, and now I can't get close to denying that. It feels a full level more upmarket (which makes sense as IMO it's an even nicer rendition of the 7's interior).