Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-27-2012, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Bmw 325Xi
grade of gas

I have e46 05 325xi. It is recommended that I put in ultra 91. Some gas stations offer ultra 94. Is it ok for my car to take ultra 94, will it be better? Or should I avoid it?
Ads by Google
Old 12-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Using the best fuel available is fine.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Old 12-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudaBmw View Post
Is it ok for my car to take ultra 94, will it be better?
This is a typical troll question - so - I'll be brief.

If your engine was designed for, say, 91 AKI, and if it's running properly (i.e., timing, exhaust gas recirc, cooling, compression, etc.), and if you're not lugging the engine or towing trailers up steep hills ... then ... it's IMPOSSIBLE to get better anything (i.e., performance, mpg, power, etc.) using a higher octane rated fuel than what the engine was designed for. Period.

Don't argue with me. Just read the references as this is extremely well documented and very well known by all but the youngest kids out there.

- What engine fuel & octane does my BMW need (1) & The Gasoline FAQ & top-tier gas stations (1) & what gasoline to use (1) & how much gas should be left to cool the fuel pump (1) & how to siphon the fuel out of the tank (1) & does spilled gasoline go into the charcoal canister (1) & what is the true cost differential between 87 & 91 octane AKI (1)
Old 12-28-2012, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Bmw 325Xi
ok thanks for the info.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Using the best fuel available is fine.
I've been curious to know if anyone has ever tried racing fuel in an e46 before (110 octane)..... would it run too hot??

Member No. 470379
Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
This is a typical troll question - so - I'll be brief.

If your engine was designed for, say, 91 AKI, and if it's running properly (i.e., timing, exhaust gas recirc, cooling, compression, etc.), and if you're not lugging the engine or towing trailers up steep hills ... then ... it's IMPOSSIBLE to get better anything (i.e., performance, mpg, power, etc.) using a higher octane rated fuel than what the engine was designed for. Period.

Don't argue with me. Just read the references as this is extremely well documented and very well known by all but the youngest kids out there.
Take it easy on the newbies, Bee. You've been a great asset around here for a long time and I know it's difficult to remember what it was like starting out. Try to brush away the cynicism and remember that sometimes a question is just a question.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
The one benefit to the higher octane fuel is that it may be ethanol free. If this is the case, I would definitely go with that. Where I live, everything has corn juice, and the highest I can get is 91. I envy the guys that can get pure gas.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
As stated, you'll get no benefit whatsoever unless it happens to be ethanol free. Running 94 is a waste, running race gas is even more pointless. Your car isn't tuned for it and has no idea what to with it to make it beneficial.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using BimmerApp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana