Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1225 View Post
Check the above video link... I think the x5 looks very aggressive especially in the last x5 shown in white with black rims.
The video kills my last hope - the new X5 *does* look like a giant X3.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:11 AM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
The "snout" on those looks more and more like the newer 6 & 7 series sedans which IMHO is a nice, aggressive look being added to the X5s to bring them more "in line" with the newer styling. I like that part. The fender openings on the sides I could (probably) do without but what bothers me is that we can't REALLY tell what the rear looks like from ANY of these sneek peeks but I guess we will see soon enough.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 12-25-2012, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I'm sure it will be lighter and better gas mileage than the current E70. But I do not like the squished eyes/nose look like on the new 3 series.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Looks like a giant X3, which is a big no for me
Exactly my thought.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 M
Quote:
Looks like a giant X3, which is a big no for me
Agree. Losing the muscular look of the excellent current design.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Renders make it look like a bigger X3, so no go for me. Audi or Porsche here I come.
I think the Cayenne looks good with a couple of the 21" rims, but little else. Not that I want or need 21s, but their other wheels make it look awfully boring and Hyundai-ish. Audi and BMW wheels look much better on more than just the top options IMHO. And the Cayenne 21s are ridiculously pricey.

A friend said the only time to get a Cayenne or Panamera is to first have a 911 in the garage. Funny, but perhaps true for the Panamera.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BimmerX5D
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xdrive35D
ok I will keep my 12 x5d until I warm up to this new design...in four years may be
Old 12-25-2012, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
opinion on the new design

The X5 is cutting up (for all those bodybuilding aficionados). Its getting leaner and sculpted. the front end is going to resemble the front of the current F series cars. I dont personally like it, but im sure Thats not gonna matter, since thats what most said bout the Bangle butt, and it still was a sucess LOL!

The rear end seems to be inline with the X3 and if we imagine the 5+7 series lights on the rear end its probs a good guess.

The connected eyes and the weird vent is just ?????? Does the Vent serve a purpose or is it just a) way to cover up the lost side indicator spot b) cools the brakes or some part of the engine? c) way water ends up in the wrong places of the new X5.

I do fancy new designs (such as the techno gadgets of the F platform) but i probably wait till the either LCI for F15 of when prices become resonable to score invoice+500.

Till then Im hoping that when they reveal the F15 for SOP, the prices of the E70 come down lol!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:08 PM

E70 tech vs F15 tech

I was looking at the tech of the E70 vs possible techs options on the upcoming F15 (based on whats offered currently on the f10)

Some things:
Better IDRIVE system, possibly with touchpad on the knob
4g LTE connection
Possibly more apps
TPMS unit with Temp and PSI for each wheel (minor but still)
6WB
Lane Departure and possibly lane prevention tech
Improved ACC

Anything Else?

CHIME IN

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
I was looking at the tech of the E70 vs possible techs options on the upcoming F15 (based on whats offered currently on the f10)

Some things:
4g LTE connection
Possibly more apps
6WB
Improved ACC

Anything Else?

CHIME IN
No offense, but I don't see anything on that list that I could care less about over a current 50i with decent sport options and AD.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa50i View Post
No offense, but I don't see anything on that list that I could care less about over a current 50i with decent sport options and AD.
None taken lol

however Im just lookin at the landscape of current offerings on the Bottom to Mid tier luxury maker crossover markets.

From 2014 we have:

2014 Acura MDX
2014 Infinit qx60 (jx)
2014 BMW X5
2014 MB ML
2014 Audi Q7

I wanted to kind of compare each of the different vehicles available to the market and their respective tech offerings.

Why does this matter?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
From 2014 we have:

2014 Acura MDX
2014 Infinit qx60 (jx)
2014 BMW X5
2014 MB ML
2014 Audi Q7

I wanted to kind of compare each of the different vehicles available to the market and their respective tech offerings.
MDX and JX don't deserve to be on that list.

Both the X5 and Q7 will be all new for '14 and the new ML just came out.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa50i View Post
I think the Cayenne looks good with a couple of the 21" rims, but little else. Not that I want or need 21s, but their other wheels make it look awfully boring and Hyundai-ish. Audi and BMW wheels look much better on more than just the top options IMHO. And the Cayenne 21s are ridiculously pricey.
I'm a huge fan of these wheels

Quote:
A friend said the only time to get a Cayenne or Panamera is to first have a 911 in the garage. Funny, but perhaps true for the Panamera.
Pretty funny because both cars can be optioned up to 911-prices. A loaded Turbo S Panamera is over $200k!

It's going to be interesting seeing what happens when the new Porsche Macan (Q5-sized) SAV and Pajun (5 series sized) sedan come out.

I have no doubt in my mind that both new products will be class leading.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:

Some things:
4g LTE connection
Possibly more apps
6WB
Improved ACC

Anything Else?

CHIME IN
color HUD, blind-spot monitoring, lane departure, cross-traffic alert system (when backing up), LED headlights, plus whatever you said.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 50i
This is probably a stupid question but what is 6WB?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktono View Post
This is probably a stupid question but what is 6WB?
6WB is the new LCD gauges going into new F10 and F01

Old 12-26-2012, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 50i
Thanks, those are really pretty nice. What about getting the kick tailgate! I could have used it loading presents yesterday. Already going to get the coding tool so I can make some cool changes like closing the hatch from the fob and front cluster and auto folding side mirrors, etc.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Those LCD screen just makes the car kinda cartoon like. The one done by grand turismo is much better. It still has a needle pointer that is real. The car turned into pure black display when powered off.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App

Old 12-26-2012, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
None taken lol

however Im just lookin at the landscape of current offerings on the Bottom to Mid tier luxury maker crossover markets.

From 2014 we have:

2014 Acura MDX
2014 Infinit qx60 (jx)
2014 BMW X5
2014 MB ML
2014 Audi Q7

I am curious how Acura does. The company is changing in the same way BMW is. The SH-AWD is now in the history. Ironically, I wouldn't be surprised the new Acura looks like the new BMW. Both are obsessed of getting more fuel efficient vehicle and driving dynamic takes the back seat.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App

Old 12-27-2012, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Don't forget the T-egg either. Same power train as the Porsche and Audi diesels at a significantly lower price but with a very nice package. Also the Infiniti FX series remains a very nice option as well. Lots of choices!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i M Performance
Quote:
color HUD, blind-spot monitoring, lane departure, cross-traffic alert system (when backing up), LED headlights, plus whatever you said.
The only piece of tech I miss from my recently-traded S4 is blind spot monitoring. Funny how you come to rely on tech. I tested the new ML, and there's no tech in them worth fussing over (though the salesman told he how cool it was that it parked itself).

Those LCD displays are nice looking, but a likely failure point. Give me a traditional needle gauge!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Don't forget the T-egg either. Same power train as the Porsche and Audi diesels at a significantly lower price but with a very nice package. Also the Infiniti FX series remains a very nice option as well. Lots of choices!
I want to include T-egg, but I feel like most consider the VW brand similar to toyota.

Infinti FX IMHO is like an X6 but not. Its exhaust is to die for, but the styling is not lol

Why does this matter?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I want to include T-egg, but I feel like most consider the VW brand similar to toyota.

Infinti FX IMHO is like an X6 but not. Its exhaust is to die for, but the styling is not lol
IMO, the VW badge carries more weight than Infiniti or Acura.

The Touareg is a premium product with an interior rivaling its cousin, the Audi Q7. It's only let down by the price. It's only slightly cheaper than a ML/Q7/X5
Old 12-27-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safelder View Post
The only piece of tech I miss from my recently-traded S4 is blind spot monitoring. Funny how you come to rely on tech. I tested the new ML, and there's no tech in them worth fussing over (though the salesman told he how cool it was that it parked itself).

Those LCD displays are nice looking, but a likely failure point. Give me a traditional needle gauge!
Very true!, however MB has some real supply issues on the features they promise in their marketing material. In addition, the tech they currently offer is somewhat antiquated off the line. In addition, their protocols for certain features make me question on their GUI decisions and also their final testing parameters (ie. very unfriendly sometimes and laggy).

Why does this matter?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
IMO, the VW badge carries more weight than Infiniti or Acura.

The Touareg is a premium product with an interior rivaling its cousin, the Audi Q7. It's only let down by the price. It's only slightly cheaper than a ML/Q7/X5
Valid point. I`m probabaly gonna end up putting the T-egg due to its value, but also have to include the JX and MDX due to the same proposition. The JX tech currently offered, at its value price, kind of shoves it way into the ML/Q7/X5 offerings. The MDX I think will do the same, but hopefully in its powetrain.

Why does this matter?