Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-24-2012, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 320i se
ABS warning lights?

Last thursday coming home from work I unavoidably hit a flooded part of the road into my village. Big splash over the passenger side. About half a mile on as I turned into my drive (at approx 10mph) the ABS kicked in and three lights came on. The orange ABS light, the red exclamation mark next to it and the orange traction control light. I was concerned but I put it down to the big puddle and the wet weather weve had lately.

Next morning start car. All lights go off. Drive away. Just as I gently apply the brakes to turn left at the juction, again only 10 mph, ABS kicks in and lights on again? I stop at garage for fuel. Start car lights go off. Drive 10 miles with no problem.

Two days later start car. All lights go off except ABS and traction. Red exclamation goes off when I release handbrake. 2 miles down road ABS and traction go off. A few miles on all three lights come back on. Stop, no lights. Drive on lights on or lights go off at start then come on a few miles later. ABS seems to kick in at slow speeds too....very confusing.

Its getting like a slow disco on my dash lol. Any help welcome

Last edited by SixPotPsyco; 12-24-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Read at least this one post, then, if you can, read the entire thread:
- BMW ABS bifecta or trifecta diagnostic & repair DIY
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 12-25-2012, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 320i se
Thanks bluebee heaps of info there.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPotPsyco View Post
heaps of info there.
After 200,000 visitors, a thread has to have just about all the kinks worked out!

And, of those 200,000 visits, EVERY ONE of them solved their bifecta or trifecta problem.

You can too!
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
WOW! Just wanted to say thanks for posting that link! We have the trifecta going on... really helped!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahine312 View Post
WOW! Just wanted to say thanks for posting that link! We have the trifecta going on... really helped!
You'll be fine. After hundreds of thousands of visitors, and 630 posts to date, I can't imagine that every ABS trifecta and bifecta question possible isn't already covered in that one thread.

Here's just a summary though, of the basic reference:
- How to diagnose the BMW amber ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta or bifecta (1) & what are all known options when your ABS control module is bad (1) & Quick99Si's explanation of why the 10-minute wheel speed sensor diode-action quick test doesn't always work, especially on brand new non-OEM wheel speed sensors (1) (2) & explanations by 540iman as to why the fancy diagnostic tools very often (extremely often, like almost all the time) fail to properly diagnose the trifecta or bifecta (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & where to get the fancy schmancy diagnostic tools for free once you're aware of these limitations (1) & an ABS BRAKE DSC trifecta brake pressure sensor diagnostic DIY (1) & how to test and replace the steering angle sensor (1)