Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Strong battery discharge check

2009 35D, on it's 3 battery ( 1 in 2010 and another in 2011) since I took delivery of it in December. Needed to be jump start 4 time in the last month, so I'm looking for a cure to my problem. I see that the starter button light, the gear lever green led and the window lock green led on the driver's door always stay on for 40 minutes after the car has been lock. I don't not if anything else is on, but I wonder if this might be the cause of my dead battery. Any of you witness this on your car? It seems to stay in a state of awareness for no reason.

Also the automatic tailgate seems to drain the battery very fast; after getting home opening and closing of the tailgate twice ( unloading, and reloading later for the next trip) always bring the strong battery discharge on? Is this a normal? I now have the habit of starting the engine just to open the tailgate; is this the reason the battery on that X5 don't last?

I know my battery is on it's last leg but I want to find the the problem's before getting a new one... Btw I'm still under factory warranty and maintenance

Thank you
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Do a search. Hundreds of posts. Maybe thousands...

You will need BMW to run the TSB on parasitic drain- they will log every activity on the bus over a day or so and try to find whta modules are waking up at the wrong time and draining the battery.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 50i
I don't know if this issue is for older vehicles (pre 2010) or it includes newer vehicles. I really don't have issues except that I get a "battery drain" triangle in my dash and it stays on during the wole trip,,,but when the vehicle re-started,,,it goes away,,,,,,,really goofy!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5
Here is my input as well.
I have 2007 X5 and I had Battery discharge issue. I was reading these posts here and decided to definitely bypass BMW dealership. I am in Ontario, Canada and there is a guy here who is well know as Car Electronic Expert (I put capital E for expert because I think he deserves it). Anyway, he gave me two possibilities:
1. FOB key - if it's close to your car, car will never go to sleep mode - that wasn't my problem as my car is about 10-15 meters away from my key fob.
2. Battery - he asked me how old is that car, when I said 5 years, he said "not official rule but BMWs especially X5s need battery replacement every 4 years", if you go to dealership they would tell you "noo, it's not true, battery is good". He suggested to get new battery but battery from Series 7 as series 7 has more computers (chips) and will be perfect on my X5. It cost me about $300 for OEM battery and about $90 for labour and he said "if you have the same problem, come back I will give you back $390 immediately" - I still didn't go back to pick up the money even though it was 5 months ago which means no battery discharge problem since then. I hope it'll stay that way :-)

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by djenka2 View Post
Here is my input as well.
I have 2007 X5 and I had Battery discharge issue. I was reading these posts here and decided to definitely bypass BMW dealership. I am in Ontario, Canada and there is a guy here who is well know as Car Electronic Expert (I put capital E for expert because I think he deserves it). Anyway, he gave me two possibilities:
1. FOB key - if it's close to your car, car will never go to sleep mode - that wasn't my problem as my car is about 10-15 meters away from my key fob.
2. Battery - he asked me how old is that car, when I said 5 years, he said "not official rule but BMWs especially X5s need battery replacement every 4 years", if you go to dealership they would tell you "noo, it's not true, battery is good". He suggested to get new battery but battery from Series 7 as series 7 has more computers (chips) and will be perfect on my X5. It cost me about $300 for OEM battery and about $90 for labour and he said "if you have the same problem, come back I will give you back $390 immediately" - I still didn't go back to pick up the money even though it was 5 months ago which means no battery discharge problem since then. I hope it'll stay that way :-)

Good luck!
You did not have "a battery discharge issue"..you had a worn out battery!

Glad it worked.

A
Old 09-13-2012, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
+1 on all the posts.

Best bet, if under warranty, go to dealer, do a drain observations with modules, go from there. Im pretty sure it's not a battery problem, but some module either short circuited or is on the fritz.
GL!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 09-16-2012, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5
Yes, there was "Increased battery discharge" error and it was gone by replacing the battery by putting the one from Series 7.
All in all, issue is gone :-)
Old 09-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by djenka2 View Post
Yes, there was "Increased battery discharge" error and it was gone by replacing the battery by putting the one from Series 7.
All in all, issue is gone :-)
I like to be precise so others don't waste their time...I am not picking on your comments.

OP has reported MULTIPLE 'high battery discharge' issues, with multiple battery replacements- to no avail.

YOU have had an old, worn battery that finally tripped a single 'high discharge' warning..you replaced the battery, that worked. It may have even done it a few times...but you have not had multiple isses over years and many batteries.

(I had an 2010 with 32k miles...on the last night in my garage I was cleaning the car with the doors open preparing to return it as a lemon buyback- it actually tripped a 'discharge warning' that night- the combination of a 2+ year old battery and having the doors open and stuff on was too much for it.)

My point is to be careful to confuse the true, chronic 'high discharge, you have a module that keeps waking the car up and kills multiple batteries' from a "its an old battery, finally couldnt keep up' faults.

having said that, I 100% agree with your expert that BMWs do funny things with low, old batteries- and I often recommend replacing a battery if you are getting weird electrical issues and the battery is 4+ years old. You'll need one soon enough, and it is often easier to replace than to spend $300 for the dealer to run diagnostics....
Old 12-27-2012, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: X5 5.0i
I am starting to get "increased battery discharge" with my 2012 X5 (11K miles) and just hope this is not a long term problem for this vehicle.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSnV1 View Post
I am starting to get "increased battery discharge" with my 2012 X5 (11K miles) and just hope this is not a long term problem for this vehicle.
Mine was finally resolved with a multitude of items/modules replaced along with a new battery, alternator, someother items under the hood, as well as the radio which in the end turned out to be the problem. It was in the shop for about 3 months,,,had good loaners vehicles and BMW took care of the issue... I hope your's is less of an issue!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 E70 x5 40d
Like the OP I have noticed that the starter button light, gear selector LED, and window LED and park brake indicator light stay on for half an hour or more after locking the car.......I recently changed the battery and recoded and the car has been fine to date. My Indy thinks that the battery load on the x5 is causing them to fail prematurely, particularly if the car is used for short distance trips.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: x3
no more problems

I did send it in last may. They did an update and change the battery one more time... since then not a single battery related problems, always a strong start up and I do not need to worry when opening and closing the automatic tailgate. I think I got a stronger version of the BMW battery but I haven't care to look at it since it perform well.

An "engineer" told me that as much as 10% of the new battery were junk from the factory... maybe that was the problem...

For me the update and a new battery did the trick, I hope it turn out ok for you too
Old 01-19-2013, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSnV1 View Post
2012 X5 with 14.5k miles, same symptoms - yellow icon, no halos when unlocking. Brought the truck in late Nov., checked and charged battery, recoded (SA claimed the car wasn't going to sleep). 6 weeks later, now I'm getting the same. I assume they need to run more diags to see if a module is draining and/or replace the battery.

Anything else I should specifically ask for? I'm taking it in again in about 2 weeks for my 15k.

2012 X5 50i
Sparkling Bronze/Oyster/Bamboo, Sport, Adaptive, Premium, Cold, Sound, Boards, 3rd
2009 335i
xDrive, Blue Water, Sport, Cold, Navi, Logic7, PDC, Assist, 6MT, RE960 non-rf (Prod 10/08)
1994 325i
Red, Leather, Cold, 5MT

Last edited by zampag; 01-22-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: New info
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zampag View Post
2012 X5 with 14.5k miles, same symptoms - yellow icon, no halos when unlocking. Brought the truck in late Nov., checked and charged battery, recoded (SA claimed the car wasn't going to sleep). 6 weeks later, now I'm getting the same. I assume they need to run more diags to see if a module is draining and/or replace the battery.

Anything else I should specifically ask for? I'm taking it in again in about 2 weeks for my 15k.

Got the "we sell trickle chargers for $65 because your 20 mile round trip commute isn't long enough to charge the battery" quote from the SA today. Will try another SA to at least try and get a new battery out of it.

2012 X5 50i
Sparkling Bronze/Oyster/Bamboo, Sport, Adaptive, Premium, Cold, Sound, Boards, 3rd
2009 335i
xDrive, Blue Water, Sport, Cold, Navi, Logic7, PDC, Assist, 6MT, RE960 non-rf (Prod 10/08)
1994 325i
Red, Leather, Cold, 5MT