Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 02-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Crankcase ventilation system - M50 motors

Hi Everyone,

I know the m50 e34s have a valve cover ventilation system....a pipe that connects to the valve cover near the vanos head, and connects to the throttle body at the other end.

But, do we have a crankcase ventilation system? Something that recovers and reuses the combustion chamber blowby gases that accumulates in the crankcase? If we don't, would it be a good idea to diy one using the dipstick as the crankcase ventilation access? How does such a system help a car? Emissions wise, i've got no problems so I wouldn't do this just for emissions...of course, that is if the m50 does not have a pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) system.

Theres a metal pipe near the throttle body that's welded to the dipstick, and it leads to the throttle body. Is this a ventilation system?

Thanks..
Ads by Google
Old 12-21-2012, 12:12 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Tyannt
Mein Auto: 95 540/6 Alusil
Your car has the M50 engine, please refer to the included link.
Note that it is referred to a "Crankcase-Ventilation"

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...57&hg=11&fg=15

Something to peruse:

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/5-ser...-car-fire.html

You're welcome!

Last edited by Tyannt; 12-21-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Errmmmm........hello ? Did you just reply to a post that I made like nearly 1 year ago ? )

OK, in any case, BMW's nomenclature is suspect. That is not the crankcase ventilation system you're pointing out, at least by a literal definition of the words.

That is the valve cover's ventilation/oil separation system.

The car's crankcase ventilation system is actually the dipstick's tube. The bottom end of the dipstick's tube is inserted into just above the oil floating in the oil pan. It is exposed to crankcase air even when the dipstick is inserted into the tube. Near the top end of the tube closer to the intake manifold (and before the o-ring seal of the top of the dipstick), there is a rubber hose or metal pipe that connects into the tube and connects to the throttle body area. This evacuates blowby gases using the engine's vacuum while the car is running.

Lemme see if I can get you a picture.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...98&hg=11&fg=10

Its part #14 over there, but this bypass tube that I'm referring to is not shown and I can't find it anywhere. However, it is there on my car and is surely on yours if you care to take a look. This wouldn't be the first time that realoem.com came up short.

Thank you and you're most welcome too.

rgds,
Roberto

Last edited by robertobaggio20; 12-29-2012 at 03:59 AM.