Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
So this is after driving freeway, and town, and traffic? 92c? See that's what I don't understand.. either your TSTAT is bad, your DME is opening the tstat way early because of a sensor or something, or your car is running super cool from the small coolant loop and not even using the lower radiator hose.. I don't understand how this could be.. only thing I can think sounds right, is either DME is opening it early, or do you happen to have an 02? I heard somewhere that the early 02's got a 92c tstat.. Or I should say the early N62 engines.
Nope all bmw v8 v12 engines starting from 98 are built to fail with 105C. If your car never goes to 103-105 it means its either half opened or bc DME opens it too early. I personally saw one e65 where DME kept it fully open all the time!!!
It depends on some factors like intake air temp sensor and engine temp. If DME sees that it's super hot outside it would open tstat earlier.
Anyhow I totally understand what's going on:
I bought 160k miles e66 and it worked great but radiator was leaking a little, so replaced it and it worked for a while but recently I got a leak from somewhere else bc of high pressure.
In other words this stupid super hot cooling system sucks and will keep exploding weak areas of this system!!
You fix one leak and you'll get another one over and over, until either you overhaul everything related to cooling system or you replace engine!
What a great car and great ideas
Yes they want more money from us and moreover they don't want luxury vehicles to last over 60k warranty miles and 105C tstat is a brilliant solution!
Coolant pipe and rear cover profile gasket and a heater core are the worst : and all these gaskets only last 3-5 yrs max. I'm not even talking about all oil leaks related to high temp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1356670498.718536.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	354921   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1356670513.416561.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	354922  

Last edited by SFbay; 12-27-2012 at 09:02 PM.