Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
I don't think the details you're looking for exist. The complexity of calculating those details probably only exist at the manufacturers level and they're not inclined to give those out. I did find this article which I found interesting -

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...ctric-car.html

Tim
(Sighs) I was afraid that was going to be the circumstance. Although the link gave me some more food for thought. Doing some further research resulted in a possible model (modern day scavenger hunt?):

1. Based on this URL ( http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/battery ), it appears the new battery specification for the Leaf is 24 kW.

2. On another part of the above URL ( http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electr...ro.section_nav ) different range scenarios are provided to give an opportunity for matching driving profile to range expectations. For this discussion, I will use the 2-cycle testing range of 73 miles/charge.

3. Taking 1. and dividing it by 2. (per the equation proposed in the URL you provided) would seem to yield .34 kWh/mile (24 kWh/73 miles). Extrapolating out over 100,000 miles would seem to result in total electricity consumption of 34,000 kWh (.34 kWh/mile)*(100,000 miles).

With a marginal cost (aka cost for the last kWh of electricity use) per kWh of $0.30/kWh, (if my model above is correct) the 100K mile operating cost is $10,200 (34,000 kWh * $0.30/kWh). I used $0.30/kWh to factor in what the rate would be given the additional electricity use for the electric car. For comparison, if Diesel fuel averages $5/gallon over the 100,000 mile period, and I manage to average 33 mpg for the 100,000 miles, I am looking at fuel costs of $15,151.

And then there is the matter of battery pack life. Lithium battery packs seem to have a charge-discharge cycle rating around 750 to 1,000 cycles. 750 seems to be the number for complete discharge before recharge, and 1,000 if the pack is charged around the 40% remaining threshold. 40% remaining would appear to translate into a range before recharge of 44 miles (73 mile range * .6). This provides an additional perspective on range anxiety - if you want a longer battery pack life, you don't want to be driving the battery pack to full discharge (or even 10% or 20% remaining). I doubt battery packs are cheap (one article ( http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10426331-54.html ) pegged the Volt's battery pack replacement parts cost at $8,000; but that is just the parts cost, what about labor?). Interestingly, Nissan is touting their 100,000 mile guarantee on the battery pack (96 months/100,000 miles). I wonder if BMW is going to be providing a 96 month/100,000 mile warranty on the i3's battery pack?

It seems the more I learn, the more questions I have.... Anyhows, thank you for providing the link to the Edmunds article.