Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-27-2012, 12:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011BMW 335d
scheduled maintenance free 4 years 50k mi does not include the Diesel engine ??

12-21-2012,I took my 2011 335d into the San Jose dealer for oil change or one year routine mint and was told the diesel engine is not included in the free maintenance program. I was told thatvnormally the cost is above $200 for an oil change with filter and top off of the DFE. I can find no information in the BMW pubs exempting the Diesel engine. so what's the true story. did I screw up by believing the sales and advertizing pitch??? BMW 135d
Ads by Google
Old 12-27-2012, 01:05 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Time to shop for a new dealer
Old 12-27-2012, 03:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xi
They lied, please report them to BMWNA

2011 328xi Sedan - DSB / Chestnut / Aluminum / Auto / Value / Premium / Xenon / Sat / Split Rear Seats
M3 Lip Spoiler / LUX V3 / Aluminum Pedals & E-Brake / Interior LED / Xenesis H8 & H3 / LED side markers
Clear Side Reflectors, DSB painted calipers

Future Mods: window tint, powder black grille & exhaust tips
Far Off Mods: TSW 17" Matte Black Nurnburgring
Old 12-27-2012, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpcom View Post
12-21-2012,I took my 2011 335d into the San Jose dealer for oil change or one year routine mint and was told the diesel engine is not included in the free maintenance program. I was told thatvnormally the cost is above $200 for an oil change with filter and top off of the DFE. I can find no information in the BMW pubs exempting the Diesel engine. so what's the true story. did I screw up by believing the sales and advertizing pitch??? BMW 135d

If I am an attorney, I tell you that their communique is illegal, immoral, and a public humiliation.

If you can recruit witnesses and in particular if you can obtain the claimed dealer's statement[s] in writing, please, submit with our retainer ASAP. PM for bank routing info.

Also route manufacturer's information on the BMW 135d you claim above.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 PM

Maintenance free 4y, 50k mi

12-27-12, thanks for the tip "time to find another dealer", I've already lined up another dealer before I even left this bad news outfit... This AM I dip stick checked the oil level, I have no confidence in this dealer at all. As suspected 1qt low, the work order even stated 7 qts instead of 8 qts,,, yes I should have verified before I left the dealer service dept but you know, we have been brainwashed to trust our dealer...haven't we??? I asked for the serv mgr this time and a very young voice whom said "that I must have misunderstood the service writer even though I argued with her so much about this free maint issue that she found it necessary to bring out her toddy out from the shop to back up her claim. They added the short qt without any further words... Now I'm wondering if they put in the required oil for a diesel or is the gas engine oil change 7 qts and they put in the correct oil quantity for the gas engine instead. It's not like they change oil in a diesel every day...the paper work order shows the correct oil but I have a funny feeling its for the gas engine instead I wish I knew what the fill - quantity is for the gas 6 cyl engine the owners manual is silent here. does anyone one know specifically what the gas engine full oil quanty is?? how does one find that out?? and what harm if any would occur using the gas engine oil in the Diesel engine if any harm or is just a matter of keeping the smog control devices in good shape this car has already had the service engine light come on at 4000 miles dealer checked it out and said it was a dirty DEF filter ??? and has used 1 qt of oil in 6400 miles dealer said it happens not to worry !!! now I am worrying... sorry for the long post shouldn't be necessary it's a BMW!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience. I drive 22 miles to a dealer i feel comfortable with as opposed to one that is 6 miles away that i have heard "stories" about. Piece of mind is important and trust is a big piece of that. I drilled heavily into the 4 yr/50 kmile aspect before buying as I got my vehicle as a service loner with 6100 miles on the clock. Though it might have angered the service person, I checked to make sure that i got the Castrol SLX oil going into my vehicle. All has been good and I am doing in between oil changes myself. To each his own as this topic has a many varied opinions. I actually have found buying the oil at the dealer is the cheapest.

My dealer was even nice enough to let me get some of the old oil as it came out of the drain plug for oil analysis. I feel they understand of our carefulness since our D's are unique and require special care. Good luck on finding a good service dept.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
12-27-12, thanks for the tip "time to find another dealer", I've already lined up another dealer before I even left this bad news outfit... This AM I dip stick checked the oil level, I have no confidence in this dealer at all. As suspected 1qt low, the work order even stated 7 qts instead of 8 qts,,, yes I should have verified before I left the dealer service dept but you know, we have been brainwashed to trust our dealer...haven't we??? I asked for the serv mgr this time and a very young voice whom said "that I must have misunderstood the service writer even though I argued with her so much about this free maint issue that she found it necessary to bring out her toddy out from the shop to back up her claim. They added the short qt without any further words... Now I'm wondering if they put in the required oil for a diesel or is the gas engine oil change 7 qts and they put in the correct oil quantity for the gas engine instead. It's not like they change oil in a diesel every day...the paper work order shows the correct oil but I have a funny feeling its for the gas engine instead I wish I knew what the fill - quantity is for the gas 6 cyl engine the owners manual is silent here. does anyone one know specifically what the gas engine full oil quanty is?? how does one find that out?? and what harm if any would occur using the gas engine oil in the Diesel engine if any harm or is just a matter of keeping the smog control devices in good shape this car has already had the service engine light come on at 4000 miles dealer checked it out and said it was a dirty DEF filter ??? and has used 1 qt of oil in 6400 miles dealer said it happens not to worry !!! now I am worrying... sorry for the long post shouldn't be necessary it's a BMW!!!
one quart between the CBS scheduled oil changes is normal. people that do their oil changes midway do not noticed this since the advent of the electronic dip stick as they replace their oil before it trips the low level indicator.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 12-27-2012, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
I definitely would change dealers. If for no other reason than peace-of-mind - the current (past?) dealer does not inspire confidence. If you have a competent dealer, these cars are great to own - none of the hiccups the gassers have been experiencing.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Where's yours located?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 PM

Free maint denied on diesel engined 3's

12-28-12, located on Stevens Creek in San Jose, Santa Clara, CA
Old 12-28-2012, 02:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Where's yours located?
Remember, the diesel has one. Driver's side back near the firewall, I believe.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 12-28-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Your dealer is full of sh!t.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 12-28-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Your dealer is full of sh!t.

Please.

You drive a BMW, sir.

Sophisticated repartee is desired in your messages.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Remember, the diesel has one. Driver's side back near the firewall, I believe.

Goes to show: Diesel driver are more involved.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
12-27-12, thanks for the tip "time to find another dealer", I've already lined up another dealer before I even left this bad news outfit... This AM I dip stick checked the oil level, I have no confidence in this dealer at all. As suspected 1qt low, the work order even stated 7 qts instead of 8 qts,,, ... Now I'm wondering if they put in the required oil for a diesel or is the gas engine oil change 7 qts and they put in the correct oil quantity for the gas engine instead. It's not like they change oil in a diesel every day...the paper work order shows the correct oil but I have a funny feeling its for the gas engine instead I wish I knew what the fill - quantity is for the gas 6 cyl engine the owners manual is silent here. does anyone one know specifically what the gas engine full oil quanty is?? how does one find that out?? and what harm if any would occur using the gas engine oil in the Diesel engine if any harm or is just a matter of keeping the smog control devices in good shape this car has already had the service engine light come on at 4000 miles dealer checked it out and said it was a dirty DEF filter ??? and has used 1 qt of oil in 6400 miles dealer said it happens not to worry !!!
The oil fill for a gas engine is near enough 7 quarts.

But using a quart over 6400 miles would not raise any eyebrows.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 12-28-2012, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Bogus to say the least! I am sitting in my dealership getting free rear brakes, wipers, and right fog light bulb replaced. Brake senser said 2400 miles left, but dealer said to me why come come back we will replace them now.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 12-28-2012, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Silicon Valley and Sf Bay Dealers

Are noted for having a holyier than thow attitude
and thinking everybody that comes has to have start up stock money.
And they gouge appropriately.
Concord and East Bay BMW are better so the story goes.
I ended of getting my e46 from East Bay as a result.
Don't know about Diesels but on the first miles most BMW's will use about a quart in 5000
till the rings break in . I wish I had a real dipstick it gives me much more confidence
than the electronic one.

Last edited by ctuna; 12-28-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Are noted for having a holyier than thow attitude
and thinking everybody that comes has to have start up stock money.
And they gouge appropriately.
Concord and East Bay BMW are better so the story goes.
I ended of getting my e46 from East Bay as a result.
Don't know about Diesels but on the first miles most BMW's will use about a quart in 5000
till the rings break in
. I wish I had a real dipstick it gives me much more confidence
than the electronic one.

Ditto
Old 12-28-2012, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E90 335i M Sport LMB
PM me the dealer if you don't mind. I currently get my maintenance done in the Bay Area and I'd like to steer clear of them if possible based on your experience. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Up above he said Stevens Creek. Why the timorousness?

Last edited by raleedy; 12-28-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
There is only one dealership on that street.

There is only one dealership on that street.(for BMW)

Last edited by ctuna; 12-28-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Y'know Dp, you coulda had a rogue advisor!

Recently had a SA go, suddenly, vitriolic when I joked I'd bet him a dime I could read proprietary BMW codes.

That was San Rafael, and I greatly prefer Bill Arnold's service there, but I've had other SA's that had their head on straight.

The rub: I do read proprietary codes....anyone can.

I'd go up a rung....confirm with a manager. Get back to us! Bay Area people want t'know if you're treated right.