Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
I am curious how Acura does. The company is changing in the same way BMW is. The SH-AWD is now in the history. Ironically, I wouldn't be surprised the new Acura looks like the new BMW. Both are obsessed of getting more fuel efficient vehicle and driving dynamic takes the back seat.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App
The SH-AWD as we know, in its current guise, is probably hitting the history books. However the SH-AWD system thats going to launch in spring on the RLX is going to be implemented into the ACURA. Question will this hybrid setup do wonders for the MDX, or will it become like the rdx, and become a front wheel, mommy minvan-suv with a badge and powertrain that matches my descriptions. ^.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i M Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Very true!, however MB has some real supply issues on the features they promise in their marketing material. In addition, the tech they currently offer is somewhat antiquated off the line. In addition, their protocols for certain features make me question on their GUI decisions and also their final testing parameters (ie. very unfriendly sometimes and laggy).
My test is whether I can figure out the system in 5 minutes or less. My wife's 2012 GL fails--we've had it a year, and I still get annoyed at it. COMAND is easily the worst piece of cockpit tech I've seen. The '13 ML was only slightly better, principally because they've finally added a wheel in place of the idiotic cursor buttons. You're right about supply issues...I was told it could be until April before I could get an ML 550 because of a leather shortage. (Side rant: This is a $75k car, and you're telling me it comes with leatherette? Thanks, Chrysler.) (Side rant 2: Why does MB "hide" options? Did you know you can get the AMG active cornering in the 550? Or the sport suspension, without the full off-road kit? No, because their website doesn't show it...why, exactly?)

Our 2008 335 idrive was garbage of an equal magnitude to the GL, but I'm quite pleased with the newer version. It's still more complex than Audi MMI, but, as I've come to realize in a few days of ownership, idrive is responsible for and capable of much, much more (I do wish it would preview songs on satellite, however, like MMI does...though with BT streaming and Pandora through BMW Apps, I really shouldn't care THAT much).
Old 12-27-2012, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by safelder View Post
My test is whether I can figure out the system in 5 minutes or less. My wife's 2012 GL fails--we've had it a year, and I still get annoyed at it. COMAND is easily the worst piece of cockpit tech I've seen. The '13 ML was only slightly better, principally because they've finally added a wheel in place of the idiotic cursor buttons. You're right about supply issues...I was told it could be until April before I could get an ML 550 because of a leather shortage. (Side rant: This is a $75k car, and you're telling me it comes with leatherette? Thanks, Chrysler.) (Side rant 2: Why does MB "hide" options? Did you know you can get the AMG active cornering in the 550? Or the sport suspension, without the full off-road kit? No, because their website doesn't show it...why, exactly?)

Our 2008 335 idrive was garbage of an equal magnitude to the GL, but I'm quite pleased with the newer version. It's still more complex than Audi MMI, but, as I've come to realize in a few days of ownership, idrive is responsible for and capable of much, much more (I do wish it would preview songs on satellite, however, like MMI does...though with BT streaming and Pandora through BMW Apps, I really shouldn't care THAT much).
Maybe its because the executives are still traumatized PETA protest?

http://animalrights.net/2004/peta-la...her-interiors/

I thought I read an article where PETA delivered a mock cow's head to the headquarter of Mercedes-Benz. I can't find any information regarding that protest.

I actually don't like leather that much. It breaks easily and require maintenance. The reason I still pick it over standard man made material is because the man made stuff are not better in how it feels. If technology can match leather in quality and last longer under heavy use, I will switch to that material any time of the day.

Last edited by henrycyao; 12-27-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: correct typo
Old 12-27-2012, 09:13 PM

2012 GL command unit is TERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIBBBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

The screen is too small, and the UI is trying to hard to copy BMW pre-LCI, which was equally appalling, and pop-an-advil-every-use certified.

2013 GL, again what is with the damn screen size. The screen is evidently the pitfall in that magnificently sculpted interior. The user interface again....

All I know is if your not a tech person, the current Command interface is not going to matter. If you like tech and you buy cars based alot on that feature, and its applications in the car, yea might wanna skip MB as a whole.

MB has awesome engineers except in the infotainment side. WTH

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:14 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Those renders are fugly. If that is what it looks like then my next SUV will be a Porsche Cayenne or ML 63 AMG. So glad I grabbed an E70 x5m while I could.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:28 PM
OOO

Mein Auto: E90 335i
This looks hideous. Enjoy the E70's while they last.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 08 X54.8 04X54.4 00E46CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Those renders are fugly. If that is what it looks like then my next SUV will be a Porsche Cayenne or ML 63 AMG. So glad I grabbed an E70 x5m while I could.
Amen! I'm ordering one tomorrow. Say no to the Mazda designed X5!
2001 X5 4.4, Ret.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 x5
The camo shot makes it look longer and shorter, neither of which are appealing.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 08 X54.8 04X54.4 00E46CiC
That high front end is remniscent of a Dodge Ram. Not good.
2001 X5 4.4, Ret.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:01 PM

Update

UPDATE

Wanted pictures courtesy of BMW BLOG and PALBAY

Some Pictures may have been seen already, but I havent so wanted to share with ya!

the link to the article is below

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/12/30/sp...es-camouflage/

Why does this matter?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: German
Looks pretty aggressive from the front.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: F350 Diesel 2011
I must say that sending these out with less and less camo removed is quite a P/R move..
Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Hmm, Definitely looks like a XL size X3.
Not Good.
I thik the current E70 looks better overall. Best to wait till the official pictures are out, to take a final call.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 328i
It's looking better and better the more and more clothes it peals off.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: German
I think we're supposed to see the unveiling soon?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:51 PM

Update

UPDATE

well we have been blessed with a lot of new updates, so wanted to consolidate all of them here:

BMW INTERIOR:

BMW LINE DIFFERENCES PEOPLE HAVE NOTICED

BMW X5M and closer look at the f15 bodywork

Credit:

Palbay
Germancar forums
BMW blog
Fellow posters
Wcf

Why does this matter?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: na
When something comes out its the latest and greatest till the new wears off. Like said before not seeing that much difference yet. The headlights might connect to the grille, got some side vents and the reverse light are moved.
Not a radical change like the corvette is seeing. So yeah some people that were going new will wait, I decided not too. As far as value the dealer will use the excuse to offer you less, "Its a old body style". Thats what they did
on my 2010 335. Took and excellent car with 11,000 and offer above fair value. You can argue or go to another dealer, and take a chance at another 1k and go through the BS process again, or just take the "Big S" and go
hey they had exactly what I wanted. When a E70 hits the lots used, that dealer is going to have it priced right up there. You will see the value lower on your end not there's. Because a person looking at used can't afford the new unit
and from a friend who sold new and used, will get it broken off in the them worst than a new unit buyer.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 PM

im guessing im the only one who sees a different design philosophy in the new X5. Lighter materials, new cockpit design, etc. IMO this isnt like the transition that apple made from iPhone 4s to 5. It actually is a ground up difference more like iPhone 3GS to 4.

That being said, if I can get a great deal on a leftover E70, I dont mind being left with a a digital analog instrument cluster, HPS, Tech, Premium 3rd row lol. Looked at a vehicle ordering guide on xoutpost and it seems the next X5 is going to follow in the traditional everything is an option philosophy. Heated seats...option package. LOL

self driving but cvt Qx60 vs reliability but expensive (compared to previous years) 14 MDX vs Driving god but outdated 13 X5 lol

Why does this matter?
Old 05-28-2013, 04:39 PM

Update

More interior pics courtesy of German car forums, and some dude inside a russian cargo plane lol

Why does this matter?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:48 AM

Last update before official release lol

Why does this matter?