Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3 2.8
Exhaust?

Hello! Pround owner of a '98 Z3 2.8.
loving the car, would enjoy a more vibrant exhaust note. Unfortunately Youtube does no justice for really hearing the sound, also seems inconsistant. (remus does not sound like other remus)
What kind of exhaust has anyone else installed, and to what effect? did it install using factory locations? what about cost, or power gain?
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! - Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Bimmer App
Ads by Google
Old 12-12-2012, 01:10 PM

*Proud

Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 2.8, 2002 M Coupe
I have a 97 2.8 so essentially an identical engine as yours. I run a Supersprint and love it. Stainless steel construction, impeccable Italian build quality. Easy bolt on installation. It has a rich mellow tone at idle but makes a terrific wail at high rpms.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: Z3, e46, Ford Explorer
I also have the SuperSprint in my 98 2.8L and love the deep low tone as pulling through the gears.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:07 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
SuperSprint with dual upturned tips on my 97 1.9L four-cylinder. Perfect sound, with an audible rasp when starting, blipping or pulling at low rpm, and at all other times it is subdued with interesting qualities. A SuperSprint for a six-cylinder must be even better.

Last edited by vintage42; 12-13-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:34 AM

Lol three votes for supersprint!
you guys make it seem like the only option
Liking what i've found so far for Sound clips, thanks for the suggestions!
Im not planning on doing this mod till spring, so anymore input or suggestions are very appreciated!

Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 AM

Has anyone out there put an exhaust on a I6 Z3 other than supersprint? (ie: Remus, magnaflow, etc.) if so what are your impressions? i only want to do this mod once and unfortunately, Z3's are a rarity where i am. I rarely see another let alone get to hear them or talk to their owners.
Thanks all for your input
Cam

-1998 BMW Z3 2.8
Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 2.8i
Is therenany significant difference between a full cat back exhaust and just replacing the muffler? I cant imagine there is that much power to gain by a full exhaust and the cost diffrence is pretty large.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:09 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbirkemeier View Post
Is therenany significant difference between a full cat back exhaust and just replacing the muffler? I cant imagine there is that much power to gain by a full exhaust and the cost diffrence is pretty large.
I think this is the rear section of your exhaust system containing the muffler, called a "cat-back" exhaust:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...05&hg=18&fg=20

And this is the front section containing the converter:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...52&hg=18&fg=10

You can buy a cat-back exhaust that is factory-made for your car, and have its flange bolted to the flange of the front section. Or you can buy a separate Magnaflow muffler and have a muffler shop cut off the old muffler and make up (bend) some piping to weld the Magnaflow onto the remains of your OEM cat-back.

In my opinion, the Magnaflow will be loud, and the work likely to be crude and cost almost as much a factory-made cat-back.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
I think this is the rear section of your exhaust system containing the muffler, called a "cat-back" exhaust:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...05&hg=18&fg=20

And this is the front section containing the converter:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...52&hg=18&fg=10

You can buy a cat-back exhaust that is factory-made for your car, and have its flange bolted to the flange of the front section. Or you can buy a separate Magnaflow muffler and have a muffler shop cut off the old muffler and make up (bend) some piping to weld the Magnaflow onto the remains of your OEM cat-back.

In my opinion, the Magnaflow will be loud, and the work likely to be crude and cost almost as much a factory-made cat-back.
So it is a "fit and finish" issue mostly, or do the cat back systems like the Remus or SuperSprint sound better than a Magnaflow muffler? I can get a Magnaflow that has the right size flange and twin output for about $215 (it was $150 just a few month ago) and I figure $100 to have it installed.

The Cat back systems I have seen mentioned on the forum seem to be $600-$1000. For me that is a big difference, but I don't want to just be cheap. If there really is a significant diffrence in sound quality or performance, I will just keep saving for a bit longer.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Dmytro

Mein Auto: 1998 z3
I'm interested in this issue as well, as it seems that Remus specifically for the 98 2.8 is a cut and clamp fit. It would be nice to find an exhaust that mounts up to the factory joint, so the original doesn't have to be cut.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:15 AM

New idea! I've seen some z3's out there with the M series dual exhaust conversion. Is this an easy task? i know a new rear valance is needed. But how much extra work is required? and at what cost?

-1998 BMW Z3 2.8
Old 12-28-2012, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 2.8, 2002 M Coupe
Not worth it unless you REALLY love your car. Done properly, you will need to have your entire trunk floor cut out (and lose your spare in the process) in addition to having your exhaust piping rerouted. There is a forum member here, Randy Forbes, who specializes in work on Z3's and has done this conversion.

Last edited by KBH22102; 12-28-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:32 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
So it is a "fit and finish" issue mostly, or do the cat back systems like the Remus or SuperSprint sound better than a Magnaflow muffler? I can get a Magnaflow that has the right size flange and twin output for about $215 (it was $150 just a few month ago) and I figure $100 to have it installed.
The Cat back systems I have seen mentioned on the forum seem to be $600-$1000. For me that is a big difference, but I don't want to just be cheap. If there really is a significant diffrence in sound quality or performance, I will just keep saving for a bit longer.
I would be interested to know which Magnaflow you found that is a complete axle-back system of flange, pipe and muffler that bolts onto the Z3 6-cylinder, for only $215. I did find one here for $628:
http://www.andysautosport.com/bmw/19...n02032978.html

That is what I paid for the Supersprint on my 1.9L, and a shop did put the Supersprint on for $100.

Finding that Magnaflow axle back did surprise me, because I thought the Magnaflows were universal mufflers of various sizes and either round or oval, that need to have pipes, flanges and hangers custom made and welded to them at great labor cost. I think their muffler flow is straight-through, not tuned for a particular car, and has a sound that is rather loud and deep and continuous.

The other factory-made cat-back systems like Supersprint, Anza, Borla, Abarth etc may sound better, as I think they are tuned to the number of cylinders (pulses) and make specific and varied sounds and intensities at different loads and rpms.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
I would be interested to know which Magnaflow you found that is a complete axle-back system of flange, pipe and muffler that bolts onto the Z3 6-cylinder, for only $215. I did find one here for $628:
http://www.andysautosport.com/bmw/19...n02032978.html

That is what I paid for the Supersprint on my 1.9L, and a shop did put the Supersprint on for $100.

Finding that Magnaflow axle back did surprise me, because I thought the Magnaflows were universal mufflers of various sizes and either round or oval, that need to have pipes, flanges and hangers custom made and welded to them at great labor cost. I think their muffler flow is straight-through, not tuned for a particular car, and has a sound that is rather loud and deep and continuous.

The other factory-made cat-back systems like Supersprint, Anza, Borla, Abarth etc may sound better, as I think they are tuned to the number of cylinders (pulses) and make specific and varied sounds and intensities at different loads and rpms.
Sorry if my post was not clear. The Magnaflow I was referring to was just a muffler http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-1481.../dp/B000CC9CDM

That was my question... What makes an axle-back/cat-back system so much better that it justifies the $800 price tag over just having a shop weld in a properly sized muffler for a total of $300? Do they sound better, do they add more horsepower, or is it just a "cleaner" install?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:56 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Sorry if my post was not clear. The Magnaflow I was referring to was just a muffler http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-1481.../dp/B000CC9CDM

That was my question... What makes an axle-back/cat-back system so much better that it justifies the $800 price tag over just having a shop weld in a properly sized muffler for a total of $300? Do they sound better, do they add more horsepower, or is it just a "cleaner" install?
I think my post answered those questions, except I didn't know about the 14815. The Magnaflow 14815 is a universal muffler around which must be fabricated the rest of an axle back system. The labor and material will be expensive, the fit and quality of workmanship will depend on the skill of the muffler shop, and the sound will likely be generic, deep, loud and constant without variation.

The Magnaflow axle back system that I found is $628 rather than $800. It should be better made than a muffler shop's 14815 system, bolt right on, fit better, and might sound better if Magnaflow tuned the muffler for the six.

But it may not sound as good as a Supersprint whose sound on my 1.9L is fascinating, disappearing and coming back, changing completely from a bark to a growl to reedy whisper to a howl with different rpms and load, but never loud.

You should print a picture of the 14815, take it to a muffler shop, and listen to what they will do and charge. A good custom shop will probably have the 14815 in stock and want you to buy it from them.

Last edited by vintage42; 12-28-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0
Contra to those who think that Supersprint is the only answer, there are other viable options for far less and just as effective. Honestly, Supersprint, while nice, is overprice nearly on the same threshold as Dinan. If I were looking for a non-custom exhaust, I'd be looking at Eisenmann, Magnaflow, Remus and other manufacturers. I have the Magnaflow 14815 which is not expensive, not expensive to have put on your vehicle by any competent shop (think $75 or less), and sounds decent without the deep, loud constant variation described by someone who sounds clueless. Is it the shizbang --- No but it does not make sense to spend $2000-3000 for a Supersprint which will yield you marginal gains just to say you bought it.