Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-27-2012, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes
Weird Noise in Gear Shift Control

Hey Brothers--I have a 2012 550i. I noticed that when I am shifting from Park to D or N and back to Park, there is a weird noise in the controller. Is this normal?? Thanks!!
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2012, 04:28 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebruin View Post
Hey Brothers--I have a 2012 550i. I noticed that when I am shifting from Park to D or N and back to Park, there is a weird noise in the controller. Is this normal?? Thanks!!
What is the noise? You will hear a slight "click" of a solenoid (or similar mechanism) when shifting into or out of Drive. That is the control that allows the lever to be moved over to the DS "gate". Other than that, I hear no noise from the shifter. Oh, and if you leave it in the DS position and engage Park, the shifter will automatically push over to the standard gate first.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 12-28-2012, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: Mercedes
It kind of sounds like an electronic gear...almost like a buzzzz sound. I know it is hard to describe, but it is not a clicking sound.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
It kind of sounds like an electronic gear...almost like a buzzzz sound. I know it is hard to describe, but it is not a clicking sound.
Hmm, sounds a little strange. The part I mentioned about being in the DS mode and pressing Park, there is a slight motor-type noise as the lever is automatically pushed back over to the right side. But this noise doesn't happen if you just go to Park from N or regular D. Maybe time to have someone take a look -- good luck.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 12-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:

My F10 with sport auto didn't make any noises shifting. My X5 with standard E-shifter also makes a electronic buzz sound when i shift into drive.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Quote:
Hi, First of all sorry for reviving the old thread.did you find the problem?I am feeling same kind of motorized noise coming from the gear shift lever.I hear when i press the P button from drive.Its like motor running for a second.It was already there when i bought it used couple of months ago.Vehicle is E70 2009 X5D.Thanks

Last edited by ninja_zx11; 05-23-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 View Post
Hi, First of all sorry for reviving the old thread.did you find the problem?I am feeling same kind of motorized noise coming from the gear shift lever.I hear when i press the P button from drive.Its like motor running for a second.It was already there when i bought it used couple of months ago.Vehicle is E70 2009 X5D.Thanks
If you have the gear selector in the left side "DS" gate when you shift to Park, a motor will push the lever over to the standard gate first. My new LCI 535i has a change from the original solenoid "click" I mentioned in one of the original replies. Looks like they changed that to a small motor. WHen I shift into or out of Drive, you can hear the quick "whir" of a motor opening the DS gate. My old solenoid-based unit had an intermittent issue, as I think others did. This is probably an improved version.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
WHen I shift into or out of Drive, you can hear the quick "whir" of a motor opening the DS gate.
yes exactly that motor 'whir' noise.but i didn't notice the same noise in other models in which same kind of joystick shift lever is.It feels like worn out motor or worn out gears that drive that mechanism.anybody knows.? thanks