Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Oil leaking

Just bought my 645ci 11/07/12 at the dealership for the second time for an burning oil smell coming from the engine. I was told the first time that a major repair was done before I purchased. Now hear me out if this had of been disclosed to me prior of purchasing this car would still be on their lot. Took car there on WED. call today which is Thurs. telling me it will be next week when my car would be ready. The problem is the gasket behind the alternator bracket which I find here on this site its not an easy fix.Luckily I bought extended warranty for 3k for two years. The question in my mind when this repair is done what are the chances another leak pops up ? You know the saying when you plug or fix one the next weakest link will show up eventually. Should I look into having them to put me into another ride or get rite of asap ?
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Well, you bought the warranty so that should help hopefully help. But I will be curious to see if they cover an oil leak, typically aftermarket warranties, or even BMW's extended warranty, does not cover seals or gaskets.

You are asking if you will have more leaks, I don't believe plugging one leak results in it going to the next weakest spot. I do believe that you bought a car that is 7/8 years old, so if one seal is tired then probably many seals are getting equally tired. If I were ever to buy a car that is 7/8 years old I would anticipate ongoing repair and maintenance issues like this, the only difference is in a normal car they are easy to find and fix. In the 6 they are expensive and difficult to get to.

You probably got the car for a great price, what $20k or under? It is hard to think that you can get a $85k car for $20k after this many years and have $0k in issues! I don't know if you have seen the thread below, but in it there is a lively discussion about possible ongoing costs in an older 6:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=coolant+pipe
Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Mark makes good points.

I would look at each warranty covered fix as a blessing. Especially the big ones. Right now you've got a BMW trained mechanic pulling the front third of your engine apart and putting it back together with new seals and rings, proper torque on every bolt, etc... Yes you are without your car right now, but it will (should) come back to you tighter and less drippy And I would put money down that you never have that (very common) problem again. Congrats on the new wheels. You will love it.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 12-28-2012, 07:45 AM

Oil leak

Thank you for your reply. BMW knew of this problem or fixed leakage elsewhere before my purchase. Hopefully the extended warranty I purchased will cover this job. Again if they had of told me of the work performed prior this car would still be on their lot.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
I am curious what major work it was?

My car just started leaking oil from the vacuum pump, seems to be pretty common for this engine. As is a leak in the alternator gasket. So I am not sure that there is any relation?

I would look at the previous repair in two ways, depending on what it is, they may have fixed something that could very well have failed after you bought it. So you avoided a costly fix. Especially if it is on the common fail list.

When you buy a used car it is unfortunate since you get as-is and there is no obligation to inform you of service work they may have done to make it sellable.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
BigBaby,

Please let us know which warranty you have and eventually how they handle your claim, if you go that route.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:26 AM

No , on this purchase there wasn't sell as - is with warranty. They stood behind this car for the previous owners always brought car back to them for service. They had all the service record there in front of me no where it mention major repair on any paper work. My service Representative told me after the fact repairs was done on both sides of the engine for leaks.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:28 AM

Warranty

I believe it covers the whole engine and power train,rods,transmission etc.....