Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW Z3
Driver side heated seat getting too hot

I have a 2000 Z3 with a 2.5 and heated seats. A small spot just in front of my crotch on the driver seat is getting so hot it has "melted" the leather and would probably burn right through it if I left it on. Anybody have any idea what is causing this? I really don't care if it has heated seats or not so if it will mean disassembling the seat to repair it I'd rather just disable the heating element. Can I simply pull a fuse or unplug the element under the seat? If I don't fix it I just want to be sure that it can't be turned on anymore.
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Very likely a fuse?

Based on other bimmers I've had, the fuse panel is under or in the glove box.

There is typically also a white card which pulls out to give a mapping of fuses to function.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
What setting do you use? I find that I can't stand anything more than "1 light" (low?) on both my Z4 M and my wife's 335is. But then it doesn't get that cold here.

Did you ever wonder why BMW chose to have it cycle from high to medium to low rather than the other way around? Most fan rheostats work that way. We only ever use low but have to push the button three times each time to get to the setting we want. It just seems more logical to me to go from low to high, not to mention for safety's sake you'd want someone to press it more if they want it hotter.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
What setting do you use? I find that I can't stand anything more than "1 light" (low?) on both my Z4 M and my wife's 335is. But then it doesn't get that cold here.

Did you ever wonder why BMW chose to have it cycle from high to medium to low rather than the other way around? Most fan rheostats work that way. We only ever use low but have to push the button three times each time to get to the setting we want. It just seems more logical to me to go from low to high, not to mention for safety's sake you'd want someone to press it more if they want it hotter.
Yeah, that is the way it is on my E92.

Always wondered why. Seems like it would be 'off', then 'low' etc.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the replies but this is a malfunction of the heating element. One day it worked fine, the next is tries to burn a hole through a small spot on the seat. I'm pretty sure the fix will require removal of the seat cover to get to the element but it seems like an odd problem to have. Maybe the element is hitting a ground right there? Would that cause a hot spot?

It is literally getting hot enough that if I left it on it would either blow a fuse or burn right through the seat.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:11 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofaroo View Post
Thanks for the replies but this is a malfunction of the heating element. One day it worked fine, the next is tries to burn a hole through a small spot on the seat. I'm pretty sure the fix will require removal of the seat cover to get to the element but it seems like an odd problem to have. Maybe the element is hitting a ground right there? Would that cause a hot spot?

It is literally getting hot enough that if I left it on it would either blow a fuse or burn right through the seat.
Bummer. These are our first cars with heated seats so I'm afraid I don't have anything to add. I'd worry more about my testicles than the seat though!
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 12-28-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Bummer. These are our first cars with heated seats so I'm afraid I don't have anything to add. I'd worry more about my testicles than the seat though!
That is certainly of concern.

I figured this would be a common problem but apparently not. When I get a chance I'll just see if I can pull a fuse and disable the driver seat. I'm hoping the seats are fused individually.