Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 12-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Decboy's Avatar
Decboy Decboy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 420
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaX5 View Post
I think the 5 series looks better than the e-class in every way. There is something about e-class' interior that leaves me wanting for more. Screen is too small and those seats are no match for 5 series. I love the m-package in 5 series. The only thing I am not too crazy about is the headlights - that curve/bump on the top has to go.
I agree that the E is lacking in screen size, interior craftsmanship and overall technology compared to the F10. As a former W212 owner that moved onto an F10, I can objectively say the E has much more of a vault-like feel to it. Just close the doors on an E and an F10 and you'll know what I'm talking about. Overall, I personally prefer the F10 over the E hence my decision. However, one thing I miss about the E is the front end design. I loved the angular quad-light design of the W212. It was what attracted my attention at first sight and still does today.

http://files.autogespot.com/autogesp...12133447_1.jpg
__________________
2013 BMW X5 35i
Alpine White | Cinnamon Brown | M Sport

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport

Last edited by Decboy; 12-27-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-27-2012, 05:08 PM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is offline
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,552
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decboy View Post
I agree that the E is lacking in screen size, interior craftsmanship and overall technology compared to the F10. As a former W212 owner that moved onto an F10, I can objectively say the E has much more of a vault-like feel to it. Just close the doors on an E and an F10 and you'll know what I'm talking about. Overall, I personally prefer the F10 over the E hence my decision. However, one thing I miss about the E is the front end design. I loved the angular quad-light design of the W212. It was what attracted my attention at first sight and still does today.

http://files.autogespot.com/autogesp...12133447_1.jpg
Very well said. The front of the E is a masterpiece to me and that's the only thing the F10 design lacks on it, as IMO the F10's front is very soft and uneventful, though again with M Sport and some tactful mods that can change.

One of my concerns is I'll miss that front-end presence I really feel the E has when I walk up to it, and when I'm driving behind others (and can see my own cars reflection, etc.).

Sucks to hear you say the F10 lacks that "bank vault feel" as that's perhaps one of my favorite parts of the W212. Though I feel that "feel" starts to diminish as the Sports suspension can't really absorb enough harshness from the roads. I love the crisp door-closing sound from the W212 and the F10 definitely feels opposite with a very floats and "airy" sound.... though I feel that's by design.... if you really slam the door on an F10 you notice absolutely no vibration in the cars chassis if I recall correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-27-2012, 07:02 PM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is offline
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,552
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Just got what seems to be a pretty aggressive quote.

$2K drive off and $634 a month (including Tax) on a 535i that MSRP's at $63,450.

It has Sport Auto, Multi-Contour seats, M Sport, Tech, Premium, perhaps some other stuff. Basically enough goodies to make what I have now feel like an old horse (and I even have a P2 E which is quite rare).

It's the most aggressive deal I've found yet. If that's not a good deal, I need you guys' negotiation skills! Keep in mind I'm not doing this with the loyalty discount.

Those damn 24 month deals seem to be all gone. If I could have gotten what some people were on 24 months I wouldn't think twice, I'd just do it! With 39 months I really gotta do some soul-searching and try and figure out whether this love-jones and craving I feel to finally jump in the F10 (which I feel was deep down inside a long time coming since not only me following every step of the FEP/development phase but me driving one of the first F10's to pop on a lot to compare to my then-newly purchased E-Class) is legit and not just me doing the "bored now and grass is greener on the other side" type of thing (which obviously could replicate itself if I don't make the right choice).

I want to move upwards, not sideways! Funnily enough the 5er is technically "sideways" as it's simply the E's competitor, but just looking at the options, drivetrain, and interior alone make it feel so "upwards".
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-27-2012, 07:25 PM
miamiboyca's Avatar
miamiboyca miamiboyca is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,669
Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Just got what seems to be a pretty aggressive quote.

$2K drive off and $634 a month (including Tax) on a 535i that MSRP's at $63,450.

It has Sport Auto, Multi-Contour seats, M Sport, Tech, Premium, perhaps some other stuff. Basically enough goodies to make what I have now feel like an old horse (and I even have a P2 E which is quite rare).

It's the most aggressive deal I've found yet. If that's not a good deal, I need you guys' negotiation skills! Keep in mind I'm not doing this with the loyalty discount.

Those damn 24 month deals seem to be all gone. If I could have gotten what some people were on 24 months I wouldn't think twice, I'd just do it! With 39 months I really gotta do some soul-searching and try and figure out whether this love-jones and craving I feel to finally jump in the F10 (which I feel was deep down inside a long time coming since not only me following every step of the FEP/development phase but me driving one of the first F10's to pop on a lot to compare to my then-newly purchased E-Class) is legit and not just me doing the "bored now and grass is greener on the other side" type of thing (which obviously could replicate itself if I don't make the right choice).

I want to move upwards, not sideways! Funnily enough the 5er is technically "sideways" as it's simply the E's competitor, but just looking at the options, drivetrain, and interior alone make it feel so "upwards".
Have you gone to bmwconfig.com to figure the invoice price on the car? That will tell you about the level of deal.

If you think the front end is too soft, wait until the 2014 LCI.
__________________
2013 535i Space Grey, Biege, M-SPort, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012 - PCD Redelivery-12/14/12
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 PM
getz's Avatar
getz getz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: in a van down by the river
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,637
Mein Auto: 997TT/335xi/R500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I had paddle shifters on my last car, play with it a few times and that was it. Its definitely not a must have.
The sport tranny is definitely a must have. Shifts are much more crisp in sport+ mode.
__________________


Current: 2012 M-Sport 550i X-drive Dinan Stage 2, 1973 911 with 930 Motor (340 hp 2200 lbs).

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 911 Turbo, 2005 911 Carrera S, 07 BMW M Coupe, 07 335 XI, 05 Mercedes R500
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Db750's Avatar
Db750 Db750 is online now
David
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,406
Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
A few thoughts after reading through this thread:

1. No offense, but I was just thinking to myself the other day that the E-class is possibly the most pedestrian looking car in the over $50,000 price range. Not a bad looking car, and maybe it's because they are literally everywhere, it just completly blends in to traffic.
2. The 5, in my opinion is a far step ahead of the competition (E, A6, XF) in both interior and exterior looks and quality. I have not driven one so I can not comment in that regard, however, I have driven a 2013 E63 PP and was not impressed. It was simply a very fast cloud with second rate interior materials.
3. I see a lot of F10's, but I would guess that only about 1 of 10 is an M-Sport. With regards to BMW diluting the "M" brand; I completly agree. I don't have a problem with M-Sport cars, but I think BMW did a disservice to m5 owners by releasing the. M-sport option from the start of the F10 rather than wait for the facelift as they did with the E60. As such, the F10 M5, in my opinion is much less distinctive than the e60 and e39.
4. K-A, I would personally also consider the new CLS550 and the Jag XJ. Two of the best looking cars on the road, and neither are very common. I expect the XJ to stay rare, while the CLS will probably be everywhere in a year or two if it follows the trend of the old model.

Good luck.

Edit: Audi A/S7 is so damn good looking as well and not very common.
__________________


2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614

Last edited by Db750; 12-27-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-27-2012, 10:10 PM
alewifebp's Avatar
alewifebp alewifebp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 920
Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Gut feel, that seems like a good deal. Contact Greg Poland if he is somewhat close to you to find out for sure. Also check out multiple security deposits to bring that payment even lower.
__________________
ED on 7/18/2014: 2014 550i, Space Gray, Mocha. M Sport, Cold Weather, DAP, Executive, Lighting
PCD on 9/6/2011: 2011 550i, DSB, black/oyster. Prem 2, Conv, Ventilated, HUD, Sport, DHP, SAT
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 PM
lek lek is offline
Registered User
Location: BayArea-NorCal
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 69
Mein Auto: 08 535i, 10 X5d, 13 AH5
The AH5 I got come with the 4 Zone climate control and I don't know it is not the option! Some how it isn't an useful feature to me since I just drive myself most of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
Perfect car? Hehe! Let me know when you find one.

I feel like the F10 is darn well near perfect. Perhaps it would have been if 4 zone climate control was an available option when I ordered (and my request for special consideration was refused).

-Corey
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 PM
cordoor's Avatar
cordoor cordoor is offline
cor door sedan
Location: Utah
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 853
Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by lek View Post
The AH5 I got come with the 4 Zone climate control and I don't know it is not the option! Some how it isn't an useful feature to me since I just drive myself most of time
Oh the ingratitude ;-)

-Corey
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12-27-2012, 11:50 PM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is offline
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,552
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
Have you gone to bmwconfig.com to figure the invoice price on the car? That will tell you about the level of deal.

If you think the front end is too soft, wait until the 2014 LCI.
Will do, you know what I just realized.... the facelift in fact will NOT be coming next year (i.e 2014 MY), I was thinking of the E-Class.... I believe the 5-Series facelift will be here for the 2015 MY in fact, right? It's always the year after the E-Class' facelift. I guess IF I did get an F10, I could at least rest assured that the timing wasn't thaaaat bad as it isn't me getting a new one just 7 or so months before the facelift appears (instead about 19 or so months before which is more palatable).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
A few thoughts after reading through this thread:

1. No offense, but I was just thinking to myself the other day that the E-class is possibly the most pedestrian looking car in the over $50,000 price range. Not a bad looking car, and maybe it's because they are literally everywhere, it just completly blends in to traffic.
2. The 5, in my opinion is a far step ahead of the competition (E, A6, XF) in both interior and exterior looks and quality. I have not driven one so I can not comment in that regard, however, I have driven a 2013 E63 PP and was not impressed. It was simply a very fast cloud with second rate interior materials.
3. I see a lot of F10's, but I would guess that only about 1 of 10 is an M-Sport. With regards to BMW diluting the "M" brand; I completly agree. I don't have a problem with M-Sport cars, but I think BMW did a disservice to m5 owners by releasing the. M-sport option from the start of the F10 rather than wait for the facelift as they did with the E60. As such, the F10 M5, in my opinion is much less distinctive than the e60 and e39.
4. K-A, I would personally also consider the new CLS550 and the Jag XJ. Two of the best looking cars on the road, and neither are very common. I expect the XJ to stay rare, while the CLS will probably be everywhere in a year or two if it follows the trend of the old model.

Good luck.

Edit: Audi A/S7 is so damn good looking as well and not very common.
Thanks and some good points. Yeah the ratio of F10 M Sports doesn't come NEAR the "every single one" approach of the E's AMG Package. Even if 70% of the F10's going forward were M Sports (which I highly doubt as every 528i volume model I saw at the Dealer had no Sport package), on an overall-scale it would be damn near an exotic sighting compared to the 99.99% ratio of E AMG Sports.

Yeah, IMO the M5 has barely, if any more presence than an M Sport 535i. In fact, I prefer the cool and aggressive black-gloss diffuser on the M Sport models to the classic-M color coded diffuser on the M5's rear bumpers.

Man, I REALLY wish I loved the CLS because it would be the perfect step-up from my E, and doesn't cost much more (especially lightly used) than a well equipped 535i. However, not only is it basically the same car and the same basic layout inside as my E, but I absolutely hate the lines on the car, they just don't make sense to me. Also, the frontal headroom is ridiculously cramped for my 6'4 height.... it's actually almost offensive that M-B puts out a 4-door and has such lousy frontal headroom.... many other manufacturers have made cars as sleek or even sleeker that have more front headroom, the 6-Series being one (which is livable for me but as I said before, a sliiiight bit cramped to be truly comfortable in all scenarios).

The XJ I've actually thought about. Super value also since depreciation on Jags is so terrible. Just kind of afraid of Jags "famous quality", if you know what I mean, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 12-28-2012, 12:02 AM
Kar Don Kar Don is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cricket City
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,686
Mein Auto: E70 & F04
KA go to santa barbara NOWWWW!!!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=666513
__________________
2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 Iridium Silver/Black Leather -- P2/321/881 (leasetraded 1/10)
2002 BMW 325i --Topaz Blue/Natural Brown Leather --SP/PP/HK/CWP/Bi-xenon (Sold 9/06)
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 AM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is offline
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,552
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
Holy crap!! Somebody better not beat me to that sh**!!
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Db750's Avatar
Db750 Db750 is online now
David
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,406
Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Thanks and some good points. Yeah the ratio of F10 M Sports doesn't come NEAR the "every single one" approach of the E's AMG Package. Even if 70% of the F10's going forward were M Sports (which I highly doubt as every 528i volume model I saw at the Dealer had no Sport package), on an overall-scale it would be damn near an exotic sighting compared to the 99.99% ratio of E AMG Sports.

Yeah, IMO the M5 has barely, if any more presence than an M Sport 535i. In fact, I prefer the cool and aggressive black-gloss diffuser on the M Sport models to the classic-M color coded diffuser on the M5's rear bumpers.

Man, I REALLY wish I loved the CLS because it would be the perfect step-up from my E, and doesn't cost much more (especially lightly used) than a well equipped 535i. However, not only is it basically the same car and the same basic layout inside as my E, but I absolutely hate the lines on the car, they just don't make sense to me. Also, the frontal headroom is ridiculously cramped for my 6'4 height.... it's actually almost offensive that M-B puts out a 4-door and has such lousy frontal headroom.... many other manufacturers have made cars as sleek or even sleeker that have more front headroom, the 6-Series being one (which is livable for me but as I said before, a sliiiight bit cramped to be truly comfortable in all scenarios).

The XJ I've actually thought about. Super value also since depreciation on Jags is so terrible. Just kind of afraid of Jags "famous quality", if you know what I mean, lol.
I know what you mean about the CLS. You have an inch on me in the height department, and in the back seat of the old model I have to duck down. From the drivers seat my hair touches the ceiling; assuming the new model is nearly the same, but damn it looks good to me.

You're in a sweet spot with your price range; can't really go wrong with what you have mentioned. I wouldn't worry about the Jag's reliability. Sounds like you are buying new or near new. I'm not here to talk you out of a bimmer. I'm a huge fanboy. If you buy a M-Sport F10 you will have one of the sexiest cars on the road. m-Sports always turn my head.
__________________


2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:00 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,770
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I want to move upwards, not sideways! Funnily enough the 5er is technically "sideways" as it's simply the E's competitor, but just looking at the options, drivetrain, and interior alone make it feel so "upwards".
Many would consider moving from a E350 to a 535i going sideway, upward would be a 6 or 7 series, S class or A8. I agree with you that the 5 series' interior does feel more upscale than the competition. The exterior design of the F10 is a classic and the lines of the car is like a work of art. While the E class does look more agreesive from the front, after a while, it does get old, it simply is not a design that will stand up to the test of time like the F10. As far solidness, I have a friend who owns a E350 and he was very surprise on how solid my F10 feels. He had a last gen 5 series, E60, and he thought the F10 felt more solid and has a better ride.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 AM
evanswan evanswan is offline
Registered User
Location: Aliso Viejo
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 81
Mein Auto: Mercedes E350 Sport
I sold my 2010 e350 and got a 550i. The bmw is hands down better
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-28-2012, 11:59 AM
5Xwen 5Xwen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 246
Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decboy View Post
I agree that the E is lacking in screen size, interior craftsmanship and overall technology compared to the F10. As a former W212 owner that moved onto an F10, I can objectively say the E has much more of a vault-like feel to it. Just close the doors on an E and an F10 and you'll know what I'm talking about. Overall, I personally prefer the F10 over the E hence my decision. However, one thing I miss about the E is the front end design. I loved the angular quad-light design of the W212. It was what attracted my attention at first sight and still does today.

http://files.autogespot.com/autogesp...12133447_1.jpg
Completely disagree with the comment on the "bank vault" feel of the F10 compared to the E350. IMO there is MUCH more involved in the bank vault feel that just closing/slamming doors. The F10 and other cars like the Audi A6 have started using more lightweight aluminum in the door frame for weight reasons - so they may not feel heavy - bank vault like.

To me, the "bank vault" is more important in regards to the stability, planted feel, security, drama-less feel during driving. In this regards the F10 is far superior to the E350. No comparison.

If the "door slam test" is an issue, invest in soft close doors.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:11 PM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is offline
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,552
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Many would consider moving from a E350 to a 535i going sideway, upward would be a 6 or 7 series, S class or A8. I agree with you that the 5 series' interior does feel more upscale than the competition. The exterior design of the F10 is a classic and the lines of the car is like a work of art. While the E class does look more agreesive from the front, after a while, it does get old, it simply is not a design that will stand up to the test of time like the F10. As far solidness, I have a friend who owns a E350 and he was very surprise on how solid my F10 feels. He had a last gen 5 series, E60, and he thought the F10 felt more solid and has a better ride.
I agree. The F10 is as timeless as it gets while the E-Class has more initial popping smoke, which essentially is a bad ingredient for aging. When M-B did such an extensive facelift to their own design, it kind of hurt the "W212 enthusiast" in me as it clearly looks like M-B designers didn't even stand behind their own work.

That's my big issue.... "sideways". It isn't like I'm replacing an old body with a new one either as the F10 is just 1 year newer of a body style.

It might sound vain, which I really am not.... except for maybe a bit with cars , but I'd hate to spend this extra cash as the F10 is considerably more expensive than the E-Class, and after the newness wears off, feel like I just moved "sideways". My girlfriend based on pics is already giving me grief via "why would you spend more money on that, it doesn't even look better than your car at all"? Though, in person as you need to really see the F10 in to appreciate the nice detailing, I assume it would give her a stronger argument. When she sits in and drives in it though, I know she'll realize just how much of an upgrade it is.

Though, technically speaking, there's no sideways involved. This $63+K 535i I'm looking is vastly more modernized in tech and drivetrain, much more optioned, and of course has a much more robust HP/TQ ratio (especially considering the N55 is underrated).

The BMW community is VASTLY superior to the M-B community though. There's a lot of passion and knowledge in the cars, the Forums have great dealer support ("Ask A Dealer", etc.) and names behind them to really help us find the right car and deals, etc. I've always said this, but M-B's clientele and overall approach is very "clinical" in comparison, right down to the Forums. More people just in it for the badge and to get some "wheels and a drop" as opposed to truly appreciating and understanding the brand and its heritage.

Last edited by K-A; 12-28-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Kar Don Kar Don is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cricket City
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,686
Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I agree. The F10 is as timeless as it gets while the E-Class has more initial popping smoke, which essentially is a bad ingredient for aging. When M-B did such an extensive facelift to their own design, it kind of hurt the "W212 enthusiast" in me as it clearly looks like M-B designers didn't even stand behind their own work.

That's my big issue.... "sideways". It isn't like I'm replacing an old body with a new one either as the F10 is just 1 year newer of a body style.

It might sound vain, which I really am not.... except for maybe a bit with cars , but I'd hate to spend this extra cash as the F10 is considerably more expensive than the E-Class, and after the newness wears off, feel like I just moved "sideways". My girlfriend based on pics is already giving me grief via "why would you spend more money on that, it doesn't even look better than your car at all"? Though, in person as you need to really see the F10 in to appreciate the nice detailing, I assume it would give her a stronger argument. When she sits in and drives in it though, I know she'll realize just how much of an upgrade it is.

Though, technically speaking, there's no sideways involved. This $63+K 535i I'm looking is vastly more modernized in tech and drivetrain, much more optioned, and of course has a much more robust HP/TQ ratio (especially considering the N55 is underrated).

The BMW community is VASTLY superior to the M-B community though. There's a lot of passion and knowledge in the cars, the Forums have great dealer support ("Ask A Dealer", etc.) and names behind them to really help us find the right car and deals, etc. I've always said this, but M-B's clientele and overall approach is very "clinical" in comparison, right down to the Forums. More people just in it for the badge and to get some "wheels and a drop" as opposed to truly appreciating and understanding the brand and its heritage.
Stop analyzing it and just go drive to Santa Barbara! Lol
__________________
2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 Iridium Silver/Black Leather -- P2/321/881 (leasetraded 1/10)
2002 BMW 325i --Topaz Blue/Natural Brown Leather --SP/PP/HK/CWP/Bi-xenon (Sold 9/06)
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-28-2012, 03:07 PM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is offline
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,552
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Lol.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 PM
miamiboyca's Avatar
miamiboyca miamiboyca is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,669
Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Will do, you know what I just realized.... the facelift in fact will NOT be coming next year (i.e 2014 MY), I was thinking of the E-Class.... I believe the 5-Series facelift will be here for the 2015 MY in fact, right? It's always the year after the E-Class' facelift. I guess IF I did get an F10, I could at least rest assured that the timing wasn't thaaaat bad as it isn't me getting a new one just 7 or so months before the facelift appears (instead about 19 or so months before which is more palatable).
Double check your info, its for model year 2014.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Xwen View Post
Completely disagree with the comment on the "bank vault" feel of the F10 compared to the E350. IMO there is MUCH more involved in the bank vault feel that just closing/slamming doors. The F10 and other cars like the Audi A6 have started using more lightweight aluminum in the door frame for weight reasons - so they may not feel heavy - bank vault like.

To me, the "bank vault" is more important in regards to the stability, planted feel, security, drama-less feel during driving. In this regards the F10 is far superior to the E350. No comparison.

If the "door slam test" is an issue, invest in soft close doors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Lol.
In touring the manufacturing plants (Munich and SC) I saw something that brings to mind "VAULT". They actually open and close one door on the car as part of the final testing. Why? To make sure a certain amount of air is "pushed" out when the door closes and establishes a good seal. Not enough air? = fail.
__________________
2013 535i Space Grey, Biege, M-SPort, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012 - PCD Redelivery-12/14/12
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:35 PM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is offline
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,552
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
So 2014 MY for the F10 facelift? That's odd as the 5-Series always gets its facelift 1 year after the E-Class (which is slated as 2014 MY). Also, considering Europe gets to buy it first, hence why the 2014 E has already been revealed with the facelift, though not on sale in the U.S until mid-late 2013. If the F10 is getting a facelift for U.S 2014 MY, then I'd assume we'd see it revealed by BMW AG within the next month or so at the latest?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:40 PM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,770
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
That's my big issue.... "sideways". It isn't like I'm replacing an old body with a new one either as the F10 is just 1 year newer of a body style.
It might sound vain, which I really am not.... except for maybe a bit with cars , but I'd hate to spend this extra cash as the F10 is considerably more expensive than the E-Class, and after the newness wears off, feel like I just moved "sideways". My girlfriend based on pics is already giving me grief via "why would you spend more money on that, it doesn't even look better than your car at all"? Though, in person as you need to really see the F10 in to appreciate the nice detailing, I assume it would give her a stronger argument. When she sits in and drives in it though, I know she'll realize just how much of an upgrade it is.

Though, technically speaking, there's no sideways involved. This $63+K 535i I'm looking is vastly more modernized in tech and drivetrain, much more optioned, and of course has a much more robust HP/TQ ratio (especially considering the N55 is underrated).

The BMW community is VASTLY superior to the M-B community though. There's a lot of passion and knowledge in the cars, the Forums have great dealer support ("Ask A Dealer", etc.) and names behind them to really help us find the right car and deals, etc. I've always said this, but M-B's clientele and overall approach is very "clinical" in comparison, right down to the Forums. More people just in it for the badge and to get some "wheels and a drop" as opposed to truly appreciating and understanding the brand and its heritage.
Going sideway is not a big deal to me as long as it makes me happy. I going thrus cars like water, I think I had 5 new cars in 5 years. The newness wears off fast for me. This may sound corny, but the f10 seems different, its almost been a year since I owned it and I am still in love with the car, usually this is the time I start to get the itch. As far as your girl friend's comments, for some reason, every female I have know like mercedes, maybe its the bing bing, maybe its the badge but they all love MB. What they dont see is the performance difference, the components differnce, the engineering and the superior material of BMW. She will realize what a upgrade the BMW is the 1st time she takes the F10 on the highway.
Just this forum itself is worth the price of admission of a new F10

Last edited by The X Men; 12-28-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:42 PM
miamiboyca's Avatar
miamiboyca miamiboyca is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,669
Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
So 2014 MY for the F10 facelift? That's odd as the 5-Series always gets its facelift 1 year after the E-Class (which is slated as 2014 MY). Also, considering Europe gets to buy it first, hence why the 2014 E has already been revealed with the facelift, though not on sale in the U.S until mid-late 2013. If the F10 is getting a facelift for U.S 2014 MY, then I'd assume we'd see it revealed by BMW AG within the next month or so at the latest?
I think that has been coincidence more than planning. 2014 models gets a refresh with new lights, etc.

If you do a search for LCI - you should find some details.
__________________
2013 535i Space Grey, Biege, M-SPort, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012 - PCD Redelivery-12/14/12
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:49 PM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is offline
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,552
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Going sideway is not a big deal to me as long as it makes me happy. I going thrus cars like water, I think I had 5 new cars in 5 years. The newness wears off fast for me. This may sound corny, but the f10 seems different, its almost been a year since I owned it and I am still in love with the car, usually this is the time I start to get the itch. As far as your girl friend's comments, for some reason, every female I have know like mercedes, maybe its the bing bing, maybe its the badge but they all love MB. What they dont see is the performance difference, the components differnce, the engineering and the superior material of BMW. She will realize what a upgrade the BMW is the 1st time she takes the F10 on the highway.
Just this forum itself is worth the price of admission of a new F10
Lol, true that. She keeps saying "don't get a BMW".... in fact all my friends do because unfortunately "BMW" is associated with "d-bags" to them. I told her "Mercedes" just doesn't have the novelty to me that it did before and it doesn't feel "cool" for me to have one anymore. IMO BMW just feels more "me" these days, maybe it's an early mid-life crisis as I turned 30 to have something that makes me feel younger .

What's funny is there are "BMW girls" and "Mercedes girls". Girls who like Mercedes like it for the prestige associated with it, and girls who like BMW like it because it's sexier and fresher than Mercedes in perception (which Audi is now starting to gain on a bit). In my girlfriends case, she could care less about cars, but I think she just has a negative perception toward BMW(drivers) and attaches a higher "prestige ratio" with Mercedes therefore is worried that after the newness wears off I'll be regretting my switch (to pay more for a BMW).
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 PM
miamiboyca's Avatar
miamiboyca miamiboyca is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,669
Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Lol, true that. She keeps saying "don't get a BMW".... in fact all my friends do because unfortunately "BMW" is associated with "d-bags" to them. I told her "Mercedes" just doesn't have the novelty to me that it did before and it doesn't feel "cool" for me to have one anymore. IMO BMW just feels more "me" these days, maybe it's an early mid-life crisis as I turned 30 to have something that makes me feel younger .

What's funny is there are "BMW girls" and "Mercedes girls". Girls who like Mercedes like it for the prestige associated with it, and girls who like BMW like it because it's sexier and fresher than Mercedes in perception (which Audi is now starting to gain on a bit). In my girlfriends case, she could care less about cars, but I think she just has a negative perception toward BMW(drivers) and attaches a higher "prestige ratio" with Mercedes therefore is worried that after the newness wears off I'll be regretting my switch (to pay more for a BMW).
Do you watch Top Gear?

Jeremy used to make fun of BMW owners, saying that they all swap wives and were all typical douche bags. That honor has now moved to Audi...
__________________
2013 535i Space Grey, Biege, M-SPort, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012 - PCD Redelivery-12/14/12
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms