Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-26-2012, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4I
2006 X5 4.4i heating control issue

This is on my 2006 X5 4.4I -- having issues with getting the warm to come out of the vents.

Well I had the cable on the vent controll checked out and everything is connected. I replaced the heater controll valve to no avail. I did find out that if I put the vent settings on the upper and floor area I get warm air when the vehicle is sitting still and at low speeds. When I get going up past 45-55 mph I get cool air through the vents. My temp guage is reading normal and the coolant temp is 187 degrees F. When I slow down or stop at a traffic signal the air gets warm again. Don't know what to make of it. may have to take to a mechanic.
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
I'm not sure what you mean by "the cable on the vent control checked out"...what cable are you referring to? An electrical connection...or a bowden cable? The 06 4.4 should have come with the IHKA (automatic climate control) so there shouldn't be any "cables" that control the all digital climate control panel.

Are you aware of the stratified air dial in the middle of the dash's center vent...as well as the one on the rear of the center console for the rear passengers? If you haven't checked them...make sure that the dials aren't turned into the BLUE area (for cooler air)...if they are...turn the dials to at least the center "-" position or into the RED area of the dials.

Some owners not familiar with the auto climate control system...are not familiar with BMWs stratified air direction. BMWs for decades have used a dial that can temper the air from the dash vents to be warmer or cooler. The idea behind this is...on long journeys, the driver can temper the air coming from the dash vents to blow cooler air in their face (to keep them alert) while the other passengers can remain nice and toasty as the slumber.

The rear stratified air dial (and blower if so equipped) allows rear passengers to direct fresh (cooler air) or warmer air for their comfort without bothering the driver to turn the heat up or down etc...especially if they are sitting on the sunny side of the car.

There should be a chapter in the owners manual that explains this stratified air dial, too...if you need more details.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 12-27-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:53 PM

I am familiar withn the stratified air dial. What I am dealing with is cold air coming through the vents no matter what temp the automatic climate controll is set on. When I am driving in traffic at low speeds I get some warm air through the upper and floor vents but not the dash vents. When I get to freeway speeds nothing but cold air. I have the dial turned into the red in the back and front and the temp set @ 80F and the air is cold, if not for the heated seats I would be freezing. If you any thoughts what might be happening I would appreciate your ideas...I believe it is a bowden cable that opens the door on the heater core that I had checked out. It is the one connected to the dial in the middle of the vent on the dash.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by robimicc View Post
...I believe it is a bowden cable that opens the door on the heater core that I had checked out. It is the one connected to the dial in the middle of the vent on the dash.
Ah...I get it now...yes, the stratified air dial has a cable...I thought you were referring to your IHKA control panel.

I wonder if your thermostat is stuck open not allowing the coolant's temp to rise high enough to create heat for the heater core? If you've UNLOCKED your OBC...run TEST 7 to see what the coolant temp (KTMP) is when the engine has reached normal operating temps (coolant needle at 12 noon position).

The think the normal range is usually between 199 F - 210 F (your OBC speaks in Celcius...so KTMP should be between 92 C - 97 C)

If I'm wrong...please somebody jump in. My operating knowledge is coming from my last experience with the M62/M62TU engines...I'm new to the N62 so if my numbers are off...I will stand corrected.

EDIT: If you aren't familiar with UNLOCKING your OBC...click the following link for instructions and descriptions of each of the 21 TESTs: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/313409...series/page-6/

(below is a sample of the 1st page on how to UNLOCK the OBC if you have the HIGH instrument cluster)

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 12-28-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 PM

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. I think you are on the right track. I will schedule an appointment with my mechanic and with all the information I have compiled he can probably run it down. It does sound like it may be the thermostat because of the heat coming through the vents at low speeds. But I may have another issue with the dash vents that never get warm air through them at any speed.

If anyone out there has any thoughts on this issue please jump in.