Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330ci 3pdl 89 325i
Da eff?

So I took off out of my grandparents driveway and down the side road, no problems. Took off on the highway and felt like I was down a cylinder very jerky and rough acceleration sounded like I was down one or two. So I pull over and shut it off go up front and inspect to make sure the maf didn't work its way off or god knows what else. Nothing a sheriff pulled up and asked me if I could limp it up to town 2 miles so I wouldn't be on the side of the rode started it back up and it was fine. Drove 30 miles like normal. Waiting to watch the hobbit so if you guys could shed some light so I know what to look for afterward.

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App
Old 12-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Sketchy plug coils?

BTW We saw The Hobbit in 3D on the 25th, Excellent.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Sketchy plug coils?
not likely. Check fluids, go to an auto parts store to scan codes and report back.

Member No. 470379
Old 12-28-2012, 06:03 PM

I will run to an autozone in the
Morning. Driving again no problems. One of the plug coils has some browning on it

Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Seen stuff like this a few times over the years including on my old 323. Hard to diagnose till you get codes. Personally, when things like this happen I just wait till it craps out again and throws a code. But if you really want to go "huntin" for the problem here are the common things to check.

1. Fuel pump. Rent a fuel pressure gauge and test at the access port on the fuel rail.
2. Coil packs and boots. Test them for spark by removing one at a time and arc it to a screwdriver or something. Be careful! 3. Get a scanner that shows what your 02 sensor voltage and if they are within spec
4. Check spark plugs. Are they oily, black, white? They'll tell you how your engine is running

Those are some easy and cheap ways to get started

Sent from my One X using Bimmer App

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 PM

Well 3 can go off the list. I can check 4 in the morning. I will check one and two when I get back to MO

Old 01-19-2013, 10:50 PM

Just to close the threat problem never returned. writing it off as it being 10 below at the time.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerT View Post
Just to close the threat problem never returned. writing it off as it being 10 below at the time.

Well if it was -10 then my money is on a little bit of water (turned to ice) in the fuel/tank caused a fuel pressure drop because it congregated somewhere in the system. Probably the filter.

Either that or the old girl said -10 he be crazy to take me out in this. Ill scare him a little.