Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
Just wanted to follow up here.

Had my SA look at the part number and it wasn't an AGM that they put in. He said he's only ever seen the part number suffix that indicates an AGM type battery on cars like the 650i maybe? So it's a regular type battery they put in our E9x's. Cold out so still using snowflake/AGM mode but will switch to regular mode when it warms up.

I can tell the difference between a fully charged and a weaker battery by the servo motor to pop the trunk. It's noticeably faster and higher pitched after fully charging the battery! It's slower and lower pitched when the battery is lower. I should dig out my old multimeter and put it across the jumpstart hookups in the engine bay so I have something a little bit more scientific.
I've been researching too and everyone is saying white/clear batteries are lead acid, black are AGM

The CTEK 7002 failed to make any significant difference after reconditioning my three year old battery. Dealer failed several times to fix the issue so I bought and fitted a new battery (bought from a local AutoZone). The rough running when cold has not reappeared and it drives great (only two days since the new battery so far but it seems cured)

Going forward with the car I'll use the CTEK when storing the car for extended periods (it's a 3rd car)

With hindsight I should have just put a new battery in weeks ago and bought any old trickle charger for use going forward. I hope to use the original battery for a solar power project and hopefully Epsom Salts + few more CTEK recondition runs will bring it back to significant life

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 12-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
Just mapped out my wife's commute and it's still only 4.7 miles. Not sure if the E70 has the same issue or not (didn't see any warning about frequent trips less than 10 miles), but decided to hook up the CTEK to hers too just in case.

HR&G Full Review: 2014 F33 428i M-Sport Convertible (my side auto-journo gig)
Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 335is Coupe
Quote:
I just had to get my battery replaced. Was no longer holding a charge, only 12,000 miles. Biggest problem is that my commute is a whopping one (1) mile, and try as I might to mix in some longer distance driving when possible it's just not enough to keep the battery charged. Not much I can do about my commute, and I'd rather have an hour to work out than having to drive my car around extra.
Steve,

Have you tried WALKING to work? Count it as part of your workout. Personally I wouldn't even think of turning over my engine to drive just a mile unless I was picking up something that is too heavy to carry home.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:24 PM

I've already got the car out in the morning anyways to make the kids daycare run. In the morning I usually go for a nice 9 mile loop around town just to have some fun and put some miles on the car, especially if the weather is nice and I can have the top down. I only go straight home in the evening. A 15 minute walk isn't good enough of a workout. A few times per week I'll drive home at lunch and go for a couple miles run, and sometimes take the long way back to the office again.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
I've already got the car out in the morning anyways to make the kids daycare run. In the morning I usually go for a nice 9 mile loop around town just to have some fun and put some miles on the car, especially if the weather is nice and I can have the top down. I only go straight home in the evening. A 15 minute walk isn't good enough of a workout. A few times per week I'll drive home at lunch and go for a couple miles run, and sometimes take the long way back to the office again.
Prepare for a knock on your door from the "Unfavorable Driver Behavior" BMW Polizei. Shame on you!

Your battery is being "abused" according to BMW NA...THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES for your behavior. Check Nordic_Kats threads (she's free on bail).
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Button Pusher

Send a message via AIM to AK Send a message via Yahoo to AK
Mein Auto: '07 335i, '04 4Runner
I'm the original owner of my 335i (had it almost 6 years now). Since new I've had a <2mi commute to work. I know what you're gonna say, why don't I just ride a bike... I'm in outside sales so often times I leave the office and drive it out and about for longer distances but a lot of the time I don't. In all this time I've not noticed any strange behavior as a result of all these short trips to work on cold starts. The original battery lasted about 4 years until I started getting low battery warnings on the dashboard. As far as maintenance goes I've always done oil changes twice as often as BMW service requires.

I say don't worry about it.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Prepare for a knock on your door from the "Unfavorable Driver Behavior" BMW Polizei. Shame on you!

Your battery is being "abused" according to BMW NA...THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES for your behavior. Check Nordic_Kats threads (she's free on bail).
My computer already "told on me" to my SA.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 AM

Anyways this CTEK is working out quite nicely.

I realized that the temperature never drops below the 41F threshold in my garage for the cold mode. Stays in the high-40's or about 50F and it's not an AGM type battery, so I just run it in the Normal mode in my garage now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2450.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	356046   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2451.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	356047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2452.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	356048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2453.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	356049  

Last edited by SteVTEC; 01-05-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Anyways this CTEK is working out quite nicely.

I realized that the temperature never drops below the 41F threshold in my garage for the cold mode. Stays in the high-40's or about 50F and it's not an AGM type battery, so I just run it in the Normal mode in my garage now.
Nice colour E93!

I still have not registered my new battery but the wife's been driving the car this week. Her commute is ~10 miles virtually all highway. Putting the CTEK on yesterday took between 10 mins and an hour to re-charge so it really might be a short commute issue. Will try again after this full five day week coming up; it took a while to re-charge if I'd use the car a week on my 3.7 mile commute (100% surface roads with lots of lights).

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 01-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
I just had to get my battery replaced. Was no longer holding a charge, only 12,000 miles. Biggest problem is that my commute is a whopping one (1) mile, and try as I might to mix in some longer distance driving when possible it's just not enough to keep the battery charged. So a timely thread, was wondering if there were any recommended battery tenders/chargers. Will check those out and pick one up. Not much I can do about my commute, and I'd rather have an hour to work out than having to drive my car around extra.
[Asked and answered in posts 28 and 29. Next time I'll read the whole thread before responding.]

Last edited by DSXMachina; 01-05-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 323i 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw58 View Post
I have about a 4 mile commute to work. I sometimes ride my bike but in winter I drive my 335. I live in a moderate climate so the car is not that cold in the morning. My question is will this do any long term damage to the engine. I usually run some errands on the way home and drive longer to warm it up and it gets a good long drive on most weekends. Any precautions to take in the morning like not revving it high? Thanks for the info.
I would never rev high any engine when it's cold, and I don't mean freezing temperatures outside, but the engine being stopped over night. Short commutes will only prolong the life of your car and maintain it's value by not adding miles. But once in a while you should take it on a longer trip, preferably at highway speeds, otherwise I can't see how it would cause any damage.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:48 PM
335i N3WB

Mein Auto: 11' Audi S4 Prestige
I have a ~3 mile round trip to work. On the way to work its about 1 mile, way home 2 miles (theres a long loop around my work). I did this drive for 2+ years in my 07 335i, no issues. The battery went bad right before my 4yr/50k ran up (at around 38k miles) but 4 years in FL is not out of the norm to kill the battery. I always made sure to take a nice trip on weekends and let it see some highway though.

Currently Drive: 2011 S4 Prestige, Quartz Gray, Black Alcantara, Adv key, B&O, NAV + rear sensors, 19's, Carbon Fiber Trim, iPod...
Previously drove:2007 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic,Black Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package, Cold weather package, Sports package, i-Drive, Rear sensors, iPod.

Previously drove: 1998 3000GT Vr-4 Red/Black TT AWD AWS