Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 12-24-2012, 12:32 AM

Mein Auto: 95' 325i
Rowdy engine noise on ignition and no start.

Hi,

I have a E36 325i, about a day ago I started the car and it gave a very loud start.
I drove it around for about 3 hrs or so, it was at night. Came home and parked the car off and went to bed, in the morning when I tried staring it, it sounded like the empty tin being dragged on the floor but very very loud and it did not start so do I think, I was too afraid to hold the ignition down any longer. Please help, I am new to all of this and all views and opinions will be considered.
Advertisement
Old 12-24-2012, 01:20 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Try posting a video.

If that isn't possible, then try different descriptive words.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 12-24-2012, 02:00 AM

Okay to get to the point, once I turn the key to start the motor. There is a very loud sound coming from the engine, sounds like the engine is in pieces.

Please try to advise, I am really concerned if the engine is blown. The noise is very very loud, I was to afraid to hold the key down to see if it started because it sounded like everything under the hood was breaking. The worst I fear is the engine going, recently the clutch was replaced and I don't think that the flywheel had been replaced aswell, apart from that, after the clutch had been replaced there was an excessive oil leak. After the car had been run and whilst parked almost all of the oil leaked out. So there are alot of things running through my head but I fear the engine being warped, please try to assist with my basic explanation as I said that I am new to all of this and I don't want to get a machanic that who wants to experiment on my car just as the last mechanic messed my clutch up.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:22 AM
Poet of Signature Quotes

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
Whoa, you said ALL the oil leaked out the least time you parked it for a while? Did the car overheat while you were driving it?

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
So let it be written, so let it be done.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:28 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
again, based on the description, we could be looking at sometihng as simple as a starter motor, or, as big as the engine...

does it sound like this???
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/gallery/im...ari-damagejpg/

or this??
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/gallery/im...ari-damagejpg/

i know these aren't bmw specific, but the noises are pretty similar with regard to what component may be failing, as well as give better insight to what you are trying to describe.

df
Old 12-27-2012, 05:04 AM

yes it did overheat? I tought it was maybe because of the water being short but eventually it went to normal.
You scaring me, what is your opinion for me to check out first?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Poet of Signature Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangwilder View Post
yes it did overheat? I tought it was maybe because of the water being short but eventually it went to normal.
You scaring me, what is your opinion for me to check out first?
Okay, did you ever run the car without oil? and it ran, overheated then returned to normal? without you turning it off?

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Old 12-27-2012, 01:08 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
i am lost....

first thing to check are your fluid levels. if the oil and coolant are within specification, then start it up and see what happens.

if it starts normal, check for heat as it warms up. the temp needle should not pass the middle point. at all. if it does, then you are overheating for some reason. it could be due to an air pocket, poor thermostat, restricted radiator, or a whole host of other items that could be contributing. it could also be a blown headgasket if you overheated it prior, especially if it ran poorly when doing so.

if it it makes noises like one of the videos when running, then you have some other issues going on. make a video and we could try to narrow it doen, but there are a lot of things it could be. you could try to remove a belt and see if the noise continues. if it goes away, then whatever accessory that belt ran will the the culprit.

that's about as much as i can think of rightnow with what you have given us to work with. hope it helps.

df
Old 12-28-2012, 12:09 AM

thanks for your assistance but my concern is the loud noise that the engine is making, I have heard a noisy pulley or loose belt, this sounds a 100 times louder than that. Is there a possibilty of the chain snapping in the engine thats causing such a noise? And if it's not that, what would the symptoms of the chain snapping be?
Old 12-28-2012, 04:49 AM
Poet of Signature Quotes

I just want to nail down a timeline here, let me know if this order of events is correct.

1. Clutch was replaced, but not flywheel.
2. after a drive, while the car was parked ALL of the oil leaked out and you refilled it.
3. You drove it again, and it overheated, but it was short of water (should be antifreeze) and once you refilled radiator the car's temperature went back to normal.
4. You tried to start it, but the engine is making horrible "tin can" noises.

If this is correct have you checked your oil and coolant levels as the car is sitting right now?

We just need to know exactly what order these events occurred in and the current condition of fluids in the car if we can even venture a guess. Mechanical issues all depend on timing and the right order of events.

Quote:
Old 12-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 323is
check all your damn fluids and update!!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Check your regular, non-damned fluids too.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:09 PM

Sorted

okay guys, thank you for all your help. All fluids were good and so was the engine, the starter was really messed up tho. Fitted the refurbished starter and car is as good as new.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Cool story, bro. It was the starter all along!

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011