Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Ordering F30 AH... which tires should i pick?

I am ordering M-sport line with Dynamic handling. I noticed I can choose between 18 inch performance tires or 18 inch all season (same rim). Which one would provide better gas mileage, quiet ride, and ride quality? Also do you know what brand tires are coming on the F30 msport? Pirelli P7? Dunlop sport MAXX?
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'06 Saab 9-5
Summer for grip and handling, all season for comfort and gas mileage and quiet ride.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@11-16lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, SOLD

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt AERO+ TUNED
Old 12-27-2012, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: Cur: Porsche(s), Audi, MB
Suggestions may be cliimate specific. I've become a believer that all-season tires are a bit of a compromise in all seasons, not the best in snow, not the best at summer performance cornering, but they might be fine for your style of drivng and/or climate. It can be a hassle to switch to winter performance tires and back to summers in the spring, but that has become my preference. As for brands, I have no first hand experience with the Pirelli P7's, but have Pirelli P Zero Nero all seasons on one car, and while wet traction seems OK, I can't recommend them due to tire noise that increases significantly at around 18,000 miles, and gets worse over time. If I keep that car, those tires will come off with plenty of treadlife remaining at 24K miles, because the car now sounds like a truck. My dealer SA says the complaints are consistent with P Zero Nero equipped cars.

Good luck with whichever you select.

Last edited by Golfster; 12-27-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:18 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
I am ordering M-sport line with Dynamic handling. I noticed I can choose between 18 inch performance tires or 18 inch all season (same rim). Which one would provide better gas mileage, quiet ride, and ride quality? Also do you know what brand tires are coming on the F30 msport? Pirelli P7? Dunlop sport MAXX?
I'm going to guess that you got a RWD M-Sport, and am unsure what geography you live in.

If you get any wintery weather, you want Summer Tires and then dedicated Winter Tires. The all seasons are a compromise between the two, and if you're in a snowy region you need snow tires anyway.

So get Summers when you take delivery, swap over to Winters for those 4 months, done.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 12-27-2012, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: Unknown
http://www.beyond.ca/tag/michelin-pilot-sport-as3

These tires aren't out yet. They're coming out in summer 2013.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Msport sedan
Quote:
Don't forget that you get a higher speed limiter when ordered with summer tires.

Best Regards,
Robert

2013 335i ///M Sport - Estoril Blue/Coral Red - Tech Package- Premium Package - HK Stereo - 6MT
Ordered 12/14/12 - Delivered March 5th 2013
BMWCCA # 471893
Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
If you order the car with all season tires (ZAS) instead of performance tires (ZPT) your car will have the lower (130mph I believe) top speed vs the higher (155mph) top speed limiter.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
If you live somewhere in "USA" (as indicated by your location*) that doesn't see snow or temps below 40 degrees (e.g., San Diego, Phoenix, FL, etc.), get the summer tires.

If you live anywhere that sees a lot of snow in the winter, get the summer tires and get a separate set of snow tires and wheels and put those on in the winter. If you live anywhere in between, all season tires may be sufficient.

*why do people put some generic location and then ask location specific questions? Why not at least put what state you live in? Are you really in witness protection?
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 AM

wow sorry for not being specific on the location... location: SoCal.

I don't really want to replace the tires after 20k miles so I'm thinking the performance tires aren't going to be a good choice. Also speed limiter doesn't matter to me, where can I drive above 130 let alone 100.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 335i M Sport
If you want your BMW to handle like it was designed to do, then you should order summer performance tires. But if you are willing to accept compromised handling and traction, all-seasons would then be the preferred choice.

The biggest downside to all seasons is the diminished traction; this is especially evident when it comes to braking distances. In various road tests of the F30 for braking performance, all season tires have been demonstrated to increase the stopping distance from 60 mph-O mph by 10 feet or more compared to the same car equipped with summer performance tires. As speed increases, this difference also increases considerably.

The bottom line is that all-season tires compromise the safety of your car, which is why so many tire experts refer to them as "no-seasons".
2013 F30-335i M Sport, Glacier silver, 8 spd, black dakota w/walnut trim, premium pkg, 18" Style 400M wheels, adaptive M suspension, variable sport steering, M Sport brakes, front & Rear PDC, Sat radio, BMW Assist pkg.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
If you want your BMW to handle like it was designed to do, then you should order summer performance tires. But if you are willing to accept compromised handling and traction, all-seasons would then be the preferred choice.

The biggest downside to all seasons is the diminished traction; this is especially evident when it comes to braking distances. In various road tests of the F30 for braking performance, all season tires have been demonstrated to increase the stopping distance from 60 mph-O mph by 10 feet or more compared to the same car equipped with summer performance tires. As speed increases, this difference also increases considerably.

The bottom line is that all-season tires compromise the safety of your car, which is why so many tire experts refer to them as "no-seasons".
Good point. I recall hearing the F30 stopped horribly on all season tires. Other issue is taking euro delivery on summer tires during february.. would have to get winter tire rentals.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Quote:

I don't really want to replace the tires after 20k miles so I'm thinking the performance tires aren't going to be a good choice. Also speed limiter doesn't matter to me, where can I drive above 130 let alone 100.
I don't get buying a bimmer and then harming performance by not spending money on shoes. You buy a great handling car, budget for replacement tires. If you want to save money buy something else.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Donkeybike?

Never underestimate what good tires will do for the performance of a car. I don't care that tires last XXXX miles than others. Braking, turning, etc are all compromised by tires that are designed to last longer... you pay for it one way or the other. I prefer that my car actually grip the road. For most people who drive, they'll never notice a difference. If you do any sort of performance driving, it matters and you'll know it.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: '14 F30 335i M-Sport (ED)
aren't the summer/performance tires only available with a staggered set-up?...if one wanted a square set-up you would be forced to go with the all-season tires...i personally wish that you could choose the summer/performance tires with a square set-up (same size rims all the way around)
Old 12-27-2012, 01:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer3oi View Post
aren't the summer/performance tires only available with a staggered set-up?...if one wanted a square set-up you would be forced to go with the all-season tires...i personally wish that you could choose the summer/performance tires with a square set-up (same size rims all the way around)
I have the square set up with Goodyear RF summer/ performance tires. Delivered that way. " ED ".
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 12-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Donkeybike?

Quote:
The M-Sport option is not square. Sport/Luxury/No Line option is square.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Msport sedan
Quote:
Staggered set up only comes on the M-sport package, even there it is optional. On the sport line the packages are all square.

Best Regards,
Robert

2013 335i ///M Sport - Estoril Blue/Coral Red - Tech Package- Premium Package - HK Stereo - 6MT
Ordered 12/14/12 - Delivered March 5th 2013
BMWCCA # 471893
Old 12-27-2012, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 335i M Sport
Since you are ordering a top notch handling 335i M Sport, your car deserve's the staggered summer performance tires offered as standard by BMW. Don't handicap your car with all-seasons.
2013 F30-335i M Sport, Glacier silver, 8 spd, black dakota w/walnut trim, premium pkg, 18" Style 400M wheels, adaptive M suspension, variable sport steering, M Sport brakes, front & Rear PDC, Sat radio, BMW Assist pkg.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:

Well, you can see how the answer would be different for someone that lived in say Minneapolis or Buffalo, right?

If you live in SoCal there is absolutely no reason to buy anything but summer tires. "All season" tires are not nearly as good as summer tires in the dry, in fact they don't excel at anything. You don't need "all-season" tires in SoCal.

Why are you even buying a 335i with the M Sport Package if you apparently don't care how the car handles? Go buy a Volvo. I'm thinking that performance tires are not a good choice for you. (There is no such thing as an F30 msport. BMW spends a lot of money figuring out what to call their packages and options. They didn't call it msport.)
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
Well, you can see how the answer would be different for someone that lived in say Minneapolis or Buffalo, right?

If you live in SoCal there is absolutely no reason to buy anything but summer tires. "All season" tires are not nearly as good as summer tires in the dry, in fact they don't excel at anything. You don't need "all-season" tires in SoCal.

Why are you even buying a 335i with the M Sport Package if you apparently don't care how the car handles? Go buy a Volvo. I'm thinking that performance tires are not a good choice for you. (There is no such thing as an F30 msport. BMW spends a lot of money figuring out what to call their packages and options. They didn't call it msport.)
+1
not sure what the point of getting an M Sport package with DHP and then getting all seasons in so cal because the tires wear out quickly--seems kinda nonsensical.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW
cool
Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post

Yeah the answer is way different. No one in Buffalo or Minneapolis would buy a RWD hybrid M-sport line (yes BMW calls it M-sport line right on the website, http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...modelcode=1334). If they did, they would have to put snow tires on it regardless.

Please, I'm not buying a 335i. I'm buying an ActiveHybrid 3. BMW spent so much money on figuring out what to call their models, I'm sure you are really offending their marketing dept. by calling it a 335i.

All this talk about performance driving coming from the guy who takes his convertible to the track. You are far from the authority on vehicle dynamics and handling, don't kid yourself.

When you have something valuable to contribute, by all means post it... until then your banter is pointless.

Last edited by Kar Don; 12-28-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
+1
not sure what the point of getting an M Sport package with DHP and then getting all seasons in so cal because the tires wear out quickly--seems kinda nonsensical.
tire wear isn't a huge concern, more concerned about road noise and ride quality. I just got fed up with tire wear on the CLS... that pig would go through pirelli pzero rossos every 7-10k.

Summer tires will be the way to go... concerns about braking performance and didn't realize I'd miss out on staggered wheels with all seasons.

Last edited by Kar Don; 12-28-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
I made absolutely sure to spec summer tires on my AH3 M-sport. No sense in compromising handling or braking, by getting all seasons. I also got style 400M wheels.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I made absolutely sure to spec summer tires on my AH3 M-sport. No sense in compromising handling or braking, by getting all seasons. I also got style 400M wheels.
What do you think of the car compared to the 335i