Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-28-2012, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 528ix
How Important Is An Extended Warranty on a new BMW?

I have only owned my '13 528 for a couple of months.
I have read may references as to how unwise
it is to own these cars out of warranty due to the expense
of repairs.
Should I buy an extended warranty as
I usually keep a car for a while.
Are other than BMW extended warranties
worth while?
2011 Lexus GX460 Premium
Ads by Google
Old 12-28-2012, 01:59 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy528 View Post
I have only owned my '13 528 for a couple of months.
I have read may references as to how unwise
it is to own these cars out of warranty due to the expense
of repairs.
Should I buy an extended warranty as
I usually keep a car for a while.
Are other than BMW extended warranties
worth while?
I currently drive a 2008 535xi (my 2013 550i xDrive is on order waiting for production to start). Some say my particular model of 535xi with the N54 engine was the most problematic of them all. I will admit I have had some issues with it. The water/coolant pump was replaced, I believe, I can't remember, it was one of those pumps having to do with cooling the engine. But I don't think the cost of repairs for these issues has exceeded the cost of an extended warranty (which I declined, opting to just save the money in advance and take my chances). The car has generally been very solid and reliable.

If I were to do it again (own the car outside of the standard warranty), I *would* get the extended warranty even though it unlikely pays for itself. I really like fixed costs and to know what those costs are ahead of time is something I really value.

-Corey
Old 12-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
BMW =
Buy
More
Warranty

All kidding aside, I don't have enough experience as I have had the car for just one year now... So far working good. I have some drivetrain malfunction stuff that I'm not sure if its BMW or Dinan right now, but I suspect that would be expensive to fix if not under warranty.

Right or wrong, I always buy warranty and extend it for km and time as I generally don't trade my cars in when I'm done with it, I sell it to people I know and I feel better if they get it with the warranty... It makeshift really easy to sell when there is one year of warranty left for the new buyers.

My other rule is if I have pause on extended warranty, I always buy it. I find if I think about it, and then decide not to, the device always fails... But if warranty doesn't even cross my mind I never end up using the ext warranty

The costs of warranty compared to total cost of these cars is not that much.... I can't say you need it, but the costs are massive either.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550 xDrive
How much is the typical cost of this warranty? 2k? does that include maintenance?
Old 12-28-2012, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kckc1016 View Post
How much is the typical cost of this warranty? 2k? does that include maintenance?
Extended Warranty is separate from maintenance. Warranty prices vary from dealer to dealer so you need to shop it. I wish it were a standard fixed cost but it's not. To complicate matters, BMW offers different levels of extended warranty. The good thing is that BMW allows you to buy the extended warranty anytime before the standard 4 years is up. I didn't purchase the extended warranty at the time of purchase. I'm still waiting out the 4 years as much as possible.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport

Last edited by Decboy; 12-28-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decboy View Post
Extended Warranty is separate from maintenance. Warranty prices vary from dealer to dealer so you need to shop it. I wish it were a standard fixed cost but it's not. To complicate matters, BMW offers different levels of extended warranty. The good thing is that BMW allows you to buy the extended warranty anytime before the standard 4 years is up. I didn't purchase the extended warranty at the time of purchase. I'm still waiting out the 4 years as much as possible.
+1

Contact a board sponsor like Greg or Justin for extended warranty.