Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 12-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 328i
We are a boring people...

I was thinking about this yesterday morning driving up the freeway. I came along side a auto transporter filled with new BMWs (and one Mini). Those trucks hold 8 or 10 cars. There was a variety of cars... 3's, 5's, a 7 an X5M. Two were black, one while and the rest Space Gray (and whatever the similar Mini gray color is called).

Sheesh... what's wrong with us? Do we all have to be conformists?

2014 328i, Mineral Gray, Msport, Premium, Technology, Lighting, Driver Assistance.
Retired:
'11 F10 535i
'08 E60 535i
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevej2001 View Post
I was thinking about this yesterday morning driving up the freeway. I came along side a auto transporter filled with new BMWs (and one Mini). Those trucks hold 8 or 10 cars. There was a variety of cars... 3's, 5's, a 7 an X5M. Two were black, one while and the rest Space Gray (and whatever the similar Mini gray color is called).

No, we all don't have to be conformists. I recently bought a white 2013 VW Touareg TDI. More vehicle than an X3 and less money than an X5. And better, cleaner stying than either, both outside and inside. In 6,000 miles, not a single flaw or problem, so it appears that VW's quality issues of a decade ago are being resolved.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:

That's the problem with most car buyers. Inside, they like a more interesting colour but when it comes time to purchase, people want various shades of gray, silver, white, and black, which is then what dealers order. Too afraid of mundane things like "resale value" and "too shouty".

Unfortunately, the automakers respond by offering only various shades of the aforementioned colours, and few little else.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
The vibrancy and variety of colors offered loosely follows economic trends, and has for decades. Better times increase the popularity and availability of brighter colors. When the financial outlook is more somber, so are car colors. It's far from an exact match but the correlation is noticeable when you look back over 60-70 years.

On the bright side (pun intended), things are looking up. My local BMW center currently has Fire Orange, San Marino Blue and Estoril Blue cars on the showroom floor. I've seen three Z4s in the area in Atacama Yellow. Melbourne Red on the F30 is getting numerous takers. I am seeing a lot of brightly-hued cars from other makers, in particular Hyundai's Veloster.

BMW (and its buyers) is more conservative than Hyundai and "safe" combinations will always dominate. Color is at last making a comeback, though!

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 01-05-2013, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 323i
We've still come a long way since Henry's philosophy of, "you can have any color you want as long as its black."

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 01-05-2013, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi N51
Ignoring colors, I'm surprised you could tell a 3 from a 5 from a 7... Just kidding, kind of. I miss the Bangle days when every car had a very distinctive (and, yes, controversial) look. Every time I see an F30 from the rear I think it's an F10 until I can get close enough to read the badge.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
In an X1 thread this fall we discussed colors a lot. At some point I happened to see a newspaper article on car colors based on info from some paint-related company and posted on that. Basically the data conforms to what the original poster here noted - white, black and silver/gray dominate in the US, for all cars. And as it happens, data from Europe and Asia don't reveal much difference. So it's not just US car purchases who are "boring"...

But isn't the same true for most "appliances"? Apple got a lot of attention several years ago with its colorful Macs, but soon enough it moved over to white and silver. I see some washing machines in red, but most are in the basic colors. I just think people want a safe color choice that they won't grow tired of. I remember WAY BACK when there was a vogue for home appliances in "avocado." When the vogue was over people were stuck with some pretty unattractive pieces...

When I was deciding on the X1 I almost went for the new Acura RDX - and I do believe if it had been offered in blue, I would have gotten it. It comes in three gray/silver options, a brown and a muddy red, besides white/black. I had other reasons for going for the X1 obviously, but it was nice to have a couple blues to choose from. I went for Midnight Blue...
Old 01-06-2013, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: M135i
At least in Europe, most of the time I think the concern is how to resell the car when it wears a "specific" color. It is not because I like a color that others will like it too.
It is already quite difficult to sell a car whose interest is not simply based on set of features (like we do for a fridge or a new washing machine), many prefer to avoid the hurdle of the color.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:22 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Just another reason to order. What's on the lot is the lowest common denominator.

Having said that, I don't find any of the F30 colors particularly appealing. I would go for silver or white.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 PM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 10' 328i Cp;12' X5 35d
Quote:

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth." -John F. Kennedy

2010 328i M Sport Package, BMW Performance Exhaust & Short Shift Kit.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
i agree looks like I'll have to order mine the selection sucks
Old 03-07-2013, 05:39 AM
Original Owners Club

Mein Auto: '10 E93;'66 MGB;'73 240Z
I don't care what color anyone else's car is, and since I keep my cars for many, many years I am not concerned about resale value. I pick the color I think looks best of the car. In the case of my former Audi, and my E93, I think that is silver. So when I ordered my E93, I picked TiAg. On my 240Z, I really like the bright yellow that is on it. On my MGB, the BRG is the only way to go. I don't call any color boring, and personally think bright colored BMW's don't look as nice as a silver or black one. I am also not a big fan of Space Gray, but if lots of people like it, good for them.

Other Cars:
1973 Datsun 240Z
1966 MGB Roadster
Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330 Ci ZHP
My Speedway blue Toyota Tacoma is easy to spot i na parking lot. The gray Civic is quite nondescript. I have a black E46 since its hard to order off the used car lot and it took me about 2 years to find a local 330 coupe with the M6.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
The reason we chose Bronze amid a sea of black, white and shades of grays. We would've gone for the lovely red,but our previous two cars have been Lexus Matador Red. Now, I don't know if they were alluding to the bulls red blood, or the matador's blood. Where is Ernest Hemingway when we need him to educate us on the art of bullfighting!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i RWD
I just ordered this:

Not too boring, eh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	335i_Config.png
Views:	45
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	365342  
Old 03-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyaple View Post
I just ordered this:

Not too boring, eh?
tan interior....
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 03-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
I agree, why be boring. My family refers to my LeMans Blue / Coral Red E93 as the Captain America car. (yes, I'm aware of the inherent irony...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0443.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	365389  

Last edited by gpburdell; 03-08-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:39 PM
The UltimatE46 Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci ZHP
The 325Ci I had was silver grey, so is this 330Ci.
I just like the color personally. Nice and subtle, looks like it has a tinge of blue when it gets darker, and hard to tell when dirty, like it is now....
Plus I haven't seen that many E46s around the area with this color. They're mostly black or silver, there was only one white and one red.

E92 M3s however....tons of them here. All rich kids driving them. 99% are white with red leather interior and I'd bet the ZHP that they're all DCT too.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
it's not about being conformists, it's about every car company giving us crappy colour choices
Old 03-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
it's not about being conformists, it's about every car company giving us crappy colour choices
this^^^^^
Old 03-09-2013, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
I wonder about the same thing too; BMW has some very boring colors for offering.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Ben View Post
I wonder about the same thing too; BMW has some very boring colors for offering.
SOme will say EBII is not boring. But that's one colour on one model. If they offered EBII, British Racing Green, a darker red and then the normal standard colours, that's be a lot better. Audi is just as bad though. Most of their models offer black, 2 greys, red, dark blue, and white.