Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 12-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bmw F01 750i
accidental TPMS reset!! :(

My car was in the garage for about 2 weeks and lately the weather got really cold. Today suddenly the TPMS said 4 tires were low and i accidentally reset it without filing them up. Now the tire pressure sign is gone and not coming back. Iam wondering if i caused the system to fault and mess up the resetting tire pressure psi or will the sign come back again?. PLEASE HELP!
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2012, 02:09 AM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Thats odd, our tires have nitrogen in them, less susceptible to temperature changes. Although I dont see freezing temps, I leave my poor car outside while at work. Temps have been in the 35-38F range at night, and no issues with low psi.

It should reset after you drive it for a while.

Good Luck

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.

Last edited by ChrisF01; 12-29-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:22 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Easy fix. Fill your tires to the recommended pressure settings then go into TPMS and reset.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 12-29-2012, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: 740Li (F02)
just inflate the tires to correct pressure and reset the tpms again.
12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Si4
Old 12-29-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF02 View Post
Thats odd, our tires have nitrogen in them, less susceptible to temperature changes. Although I dont see freezing temps, I leave my poor car outside. Temps have been in the 35-38F range at night, and no issues with low psi.

It should reset after you drive it for a while.

Good Luck
I have seen a lot of them with nitrogen in them. Mine dint have it from the dealership itself. would you recommend switching to nitrogen and is it any advantageous?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 AM

Thank you guys, iam going reinflate and rest again. i just got confused when suddenly it said all 4 tires were low.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavf01 View Post
I have seen a lot of them with nitrogen in them. Mine dint have it from the dealership itself. would you recommend switching to nitrogen and is it any advantageous?
Lots and lots of people argue both ways on nitrogen, but personal experience I'd never go back. People typically argue cost if they have to swap out, but even if you goto Americas Tire/Discount Tire it's only like $75 iirc.

The tires do change temps but less radically than just air, and you can always refill (if you have to) with air at the local gas station in an emergency like say from a nail in a non-RF.

Like I mentioned my cars sit outside when at work, and in past cars that didn't have nitrogen, the tires would be very low, then rise back up and regain like 90-95% pressure after driving on the freeway. But it always seems like I lost a little bit each time. That's not my experience with nitrogen.

If you do get a nitrogen swap don't go to a dealer, they will grossly overcharge you. The local dealer I love listed a nitrogen swap for like $300 they're still a dealership at the end of the day...

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF02 View Post
Lots and lots of people argue both ways on nitrogen, but personal experience I'd never go back. People typically argue cost if they have to swap out, but even if you goto Americas Tire/Discount Tire it's only like $75 iirc.

The tires do change temps but less radically than just air, and you can always refill (if you have to) with air at the local gas station in an emergency like say from a nail in a non-RF.

Like I mentioned my cars sit outside when at work, and in past cars that didn't have nitrogen, the tires would be very low, then rise back up and regain like 90-95% pressure after driving on the freeway. But it always seems like I lost a little bit each time. That's not my experience with nitrogen.

If you do get a nitrogen swap don't go to a dealer, they will grossly overcharge you. The local dealer I love listed a nitrogen swap for like $300 they're still a dealership at the end of the day...
Thank you Chris, that was really helpful. Iam going to check my nearest dealership or discount tire and get some quotes. You know this is why i joined a forum, i can talk to people who have experienced it rather than trusting a sales man who just wants to make money.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Nitrogen is the 2010's version of rustproofing. It is a massive money maker for the dealer. In a perfect world is it better? Yes. Nitrogen will not vary much in density through temperate changes and as such the pressure will not fluctuate. In real world practice you will see an average total drop/rise of 50 degrees from summer to winter in the northeast, or roughly a 5 degree change in tire pressure. If you are the type of person who never checks your tire pressure then nitrogen will be better for you, but if you are smart and you do periodically check your pressure then nitrogen is a waste of money. At $75+ it is pure profit....

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 12-29-2012, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: A few
I've had issues in cold weather with the TPMS on my last 3 7's. AFAIK though, resetting the monitor, just causes it to remeasure the pressure in the tires, if it is still actually low, the warning won't go away. So I don't think it affects anything. I find when the tires warm up and I reset, the warning goes away.
2012 Ferrari California
Old 12-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
...If you are the type of person who never checks your tire pressure then nitrogen will be better for you, but if you are smart and you do periodically check your pressure then nitrogen is a waste of money. At $75+ it is pure profit....
My 7er is coded and shows the temperature and tire pressure of each tire, I check it roughly every other time I drive the car. I prefer nitrogen because its less hassle, not that I'm too lazy or incompetent to check as you're inferring.

Like I said I have it because the chances of it escaping the tire is much less than traditional air. If I don't have to go to a gas station and throw air in my tire, I wont. Worth it to you? No, but to me it is. Same could be said for a power trunk or automatic headlights.

Last edited by ChrisF01; 12-29-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
Nitrogen is the 2010's version of rustproofing. It is a massive money maker for the dealer. In a perfect world is it better? Yes. Nitrogen will not vary much in density through temperate changes and as such the pressure will not fluctuate. In real world practice you will see an average total drop/rise of 50 degrees from summer to winter in the northeast, or roughly a 5 degree change in tire pressure. If you are the type of person who never checks your tire pressure then nitrogen will be better for you, but if you are smart and you do periodically check your pressure then nitrogen is a waste of money. At $75+ it is pure profit....

I agree with Emilner, last time I checked the atmosphere is 78-79% Nitrogen so filling your tires with air effectively fills your tire up with nitrogen...
Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750li, Mercedes SL600
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavf01 View Post
My car was in the garage for about 2 weeks and lately the weather got really cold. Today suddenly the TPMS said 4 tires were low and i accidentally reset it without filing them up. Now the tire pressure sign is gone and not coming back. Iam wondering if i caused the system to fault and mess up the resetting tire pressure psi or will the sign come back again?. PLEASE HELP!
I have actually done the same a couple of times, since all four tires showed as low.

That said, I actually measured them manually for the heck of it and tires were sitting at 29psi.

Makes me realize how annoyed I am about BMW not displaying the actual tire pressure/temps and only given me a stupid green/yellow/red color.

I am definitely going to have the car coded shortly!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 740i
The same thing can happen with nitrogen in your tires, but not as frequently. It happened to me around a year after I filled up my tires with nitrogen. I then reset the TPMS and the warning sign was gone. I typically do this because I'm too lazy to have the tires checked/filled and want to make sure before I do that the warning sign wouldn't go away after I drive the car for a few minutes. In any case, I had to go to Costco soon after and decided to get my tires filled with nitrogen there. The attendant found several of my tires were low by around 9psi (so the TPMS must have reset to think the tires were fine, which is bizarre and should not happen) and the attendant did it at no charge.

Notwithstanding this experience, I will still continue using nitrogen. I live in Chicago and the weather fluctuates like crazy, which causes annoying TPMS messages more often when I wasn't using nitrogen. Another reason is maybe it is partly psychological from all the benefits that I have been reading of using nitrogen. Also, nitrogen doesn't cost that much besides the BMW dealer. The Toyota service center near my place does it for $30. It's just nitrogen, so I don't think it matters where you get it.